time for change

Not sure I agree with the comment about being an offensive coach. In getting relatively non-quick players to score so many points, yes. However, many of his players are not near complete sound offensive players. Probably weaker than most Big teams with a few exceptions.

Perkins flat out has a lot of potential but is inconsistent. Sandfort played pretty much like a 1st year guy (playing much) but does pretty well. Flip...undersized, but I'll give FM credit for getting him to develop. Murray is just plain good and was dragged down some by the support cast. Ullis may be pretty good.

Most of the bottom teams are bad matchups for Iowa as they are actually pretty good fundamentally (OSU has a lot of plain out talent and young). Most any good fundamentals coach that has a team undertalented relish playing a team that is better talented buy sloppy on the fundamental. Most any good coach could clear up the fundamentals issues in short order. It's just not what Fran is and his system works well enough for him.

I honestly thought PM hitting well in the first half against Nebby was going to be problematic in the 2nd half and going forward. You just aren't going to be consistent in winning in the big if you can't get to the hoop and Iowa has too many players that can't (PM can quite well....going only to his right and teams know that) Perkins I just don't understand, except that teams dare Iowa to shoot and pack the interior against Iowa. They do help double Murray and Flip even and it still doesn't open. Teams just aren't scared of several Iowa players from the arc. It bit IU in game 1 and MSU late in the game.

Iowa on D just doesn't defend the arc hard and don't close out if they don't which is a huge sin. They are also vulnerable to the baseline.

Good point. Iowa struggles against teams that play good fundamental defense, and in particular guarding Iowa's perimeter well.

well, if we're being honest, Jordan Bohannon said on a podcast he thought he was going to ND. Is that credible? Connor liked a tweet that speculated that Fran was potentially moving to ND. Is that credible? Doug Gottlieb, who has ties and played at ND, listed Fran as a potential candidate for the ND job. Credible?
If ND wants him, I could see it being the right time for Fran.

Also, Bohannon and Connor like to get cute sometimes. I could easily see them playing this up (even if they knew Fran had no intention to leave) to show Hawk fans that Fran should get more appreciation in Iowa (and maybe even some more money).

Guys, eight days from now this could be the greatest Hawkeye season in a quarter century.

It's that simple. They'll play a coin flip game Thursday or Friday...win that, and then maybe a 20-25% chance to win on the weekend. It's a crapshoot and weird as hell how the numbers have fallen out over the last 35 years.

But don't overthink it. Fran keeps getting them into the tourney. That's most of the battle. And it's a fun style to watch. Fun!

This is what I am thinking. This team is so erratic I mean, it was late in the season and I still didn't know what team was going to show up against Nebby or Ohio St. Weird.
But, people need to back a bit away from the ledge and keep it realistic. Winning in college in general is difficult. We have seen this in all the years of being an Iowa fan, not just this season. People need to keep it real and not think Iowa is going to blow every team out or come back in every game. It just doesn't happen like that. Look at Mich State. ya think all the fans are happy with that situation and team/coaches?

It's college basketball. I also think most fans would be fine if they would have known Iowa would be solidly in the NCAA tournament at the beginning of the season. Funny how the more games you win, the expectations changes and the losses are harder to deal with. Has Iowa really had any bad blow-out losses in conference? This team can still be a match-up nightmare for teams in the tourney, especially if they haven't played them before. Iowa just needs to scheme and play defense well to give them a chance.

well, if we're being honest, Jordan Bohannon said on a podcast he thought he was going to ND. Is that credible? Connor liked a tweet that speculated that Fran was potentially moving to ND. Is that credible? Doug Gottlieb, who has ties and played at ND, listed Fran as a potential candidate for the ND job. Credible?
Dang.... I hadn't seen any of that.. Connor I would say is as credible as it comes but just liking a tweet is vague. Nothing is written in stone. I'm surprised they don't use invisible ink with those contracts. The only things iron clad is their pay and their buyouts.

If ND wants him, I could see it being the right time for Fran.

Also, Bohannon and Connor like to get cute sometimes. I could easily see them playing this up (even if they knew Fran had no intention to leave) to show Hawk fans that Fran should get more appreciation in Iowa (and maybe even some more money).
Agree with this. I could throw out several names of local newspaper reporters, plus Rob Howe, none who have mentioned this.

Good point. Iowa struggles against teams that play good fundamental defense, and in particular guarding Iowa's perimeter well.

Absolutely. One of our top three point aces last year couldn’t do squat when defenders were in his face. That’s why he pretty much disappeared in some games. Those games were painful to watch as he was slow of foot on defense also and got burnt many of times. On those nights all he really had to offer was his ball distribution. Got to get players credit for the good he did do. When he was open he could be deadly from the three point arc.

well... let's see, how does he keep raising the bar?

came to Iowa after 3 straight losing seasons - got Iowa back to a winning program in year 2 - bar raised

In the 11 previous years before Fran got here (Alford and Lick) - Iowa had 3 seasons above .500 in the B1G. Iowa has been above .500 in the B1G in 10 of the last 11 seasons. - bar raised

From 1999 - 2010/11, the year Fran was hired, so 11 years, Iowa had 3 NCAA appearances. - bar raised

Iowa has now been eligible for 8 NCAA tournaments in the last 10 years. Iowa hasn't had a stretch like that since the late 70's, early 80's. - bar raised

Iowa from 1984 to 2010 - Iowa had 8 B1G First Team selections. - So 26 years. Iowa has had 8 over the last 10 seasons. -bar raised

Iowa has had 7 All American caliber players in school history. Fran has had 4 All American selections since 2016. bar raised

Iowa has never had a NPOY before Fran. - Bar raised.

Iowa went 16 years since it's last conference tournament title, which they won in 2022 - bar raised.

From 1990 - 2007 - 17 years, Iowa had 7 players drafted in the NBA Iowa has had 5 in the last 9 years and will have their 4th in the last 4 years when Kris gets drafted this coming year. - bar raised

Fran is currently the 9th highest paid coach in the B1G. He's spent most of his time at Iowa sitting around the 11th or 12th.

Iowa is getting a lot of ROI out of Fran - the only thing he hasn't done is have a successful NCAA, once he gets to a S16, he will have raised that bar as well and then what will all you guys have to bitch about?
Time to say it again, Mr. Twain. “There is nothing more irritating than a good
example.” Or, a whole bunch of them.

Absolutely. One of our top three point aces last year couldn’t do squat when defenders were in his face. That’s why he pretty much disappeared in some games. Those games were painful to watch as he was slow of foot on defense also and got burnt many of times. On those nights all he really had to offer was his ball distribution. Got to get players credit for the good he did do. When he was open he could be deadly from the three point arc.
Oh good. Let’s revisit JBO. We should start with whether or not he got punched and deserved it. Follow up with the cardinal sin of leaving his shoe at Hilton. Good grief, BigD.

Oh my my! OSU has Sparty down nine at the intermission.

Quick! Izzo doesn't know what he's doing. He must go. His players melt every time the lights are bright.

Shit happens. It's 18-22 year olds and you can't control it. Get over yourself prople.

Oh my my! OSU has Sparty down nine at the intermission.

Quick! Izzo doesn't know what he's doing. He must go. His players melt every time the lights are bright.

Shit happens. It's 18-22 year olds and you can't control it. Get over yourself prople.
You beat me to the punch with this post. Some people post game yesterday saying Ohio State is a horrible team, etc., etc. etc. Some teams take longer to come together and their record isn't always reflective of what they become.

I didn’t forget 87-88 or 98-99 because they felt like typical Mr. Davis/Fran years to me despite getting to a Sweet 16. This year’s team is very capable of winning two games in the tournament. If that happens it will be the same as 87-88 or 98-99 to me.
You can’t be serious. Look at the talent on the 87-88 team. That was the end of the most talented team in iowa history. Talent went significantly downhill after that

You can’t be serious. Look at the talent on the 87-88 team. That was the end of the most talented team in iowa history. Talent went significantly downhill after that

That team set a record for players drafted from one team in a single year to go pro. I don’t know if that record still stands or not.