Iowa State Is A Tire Fire

Fryowa

Administrator
Can we just take a moment and reflect on the hot garbage that is ISU basketball (and football for that matter)?

We’ve gotten away from our roots and haven’t done a good job of pointing out the shit sammich going on in Lames.

Losing record in their league, lost to Joke-lahoma, had a 10 PPG player just get kicked off the team for shoving a dude in front of a ref, and as we speak their fans are melting down on CryFan about how Connor is worse and never gets T’s and how Fran is the worst coach ever and if he were in the Big 12 he’d have gotten banned from basketball…

And then some uber pathetic fans are even saying out loud that they wish they had a coach like Fran who’d stick up for players and take T’s himself so players didn’t have to fight those battles. Imagine being that sorry of a person to wish you had your hated rival’s coach.

Suck it, clones.

Oh and your last place football team is trash, too. Should’ve made Dekkers a TE, but then again you Rubes aren’t as smart as Iowa coaches.

AggressiveMeatyEel-size_restricted.gif

Honest to shittin, if they lose out they might be Opening Round material lol. From a 3 seed two weeks ago.

ISU has 1 game left and the conference tournament. As it sits right now, they could both be against 7th ranked Baylor. If they lose both of those games, they would be 17-14, and would have won 2 of their last 12.

Their big non-conference wins were against North Carolina and Villanova. Right now, Lunardi and Bracket Matrix don't have either of them making the tournament. Outside of automatic qualifiers, they didn't beat an NCAA tournament team in their non-conference schedule, unless UNC makes it.

They would have 6 wins against NCAA tournament teams, according to what Lunardi and Bracket Matrix have right now. Iowa has 11 such wins.

That's quite the resume.

ISU has 1 game left and the conference tournament. As it sits right now, they could both be against 7th ranked Baylor. If they lose both of those games, they would be 17-14, and would have won 2 of their last 12.

Their big non-conference wins were against North Carolina and Villanova. Right now, Lunardi and Bracket Matrix don't have either of them making the tournament. Outside of automatic qualifiers, they didn't beat an NCAA tournament team in their non-conference schedule, unless UNC makes it.

They would have 6 wins against NCAA tournament teams, according to what Lunardi and Bracket Matrix have right now. Iowa has 11 such wins.

That's quite the resume.
I read all your posts.

If I am Notre Dame, I would not go after Fran because of his age. I would want to find someone around 50 or younger.
Agreed, I don’t see it but I keep seeing the thought brought up. If Fran’s going to coach Jack. He’s got at least 6 more years there or more. He brings Pat along and they have a nice head start. Who can plan much past that these days. Iowa would have a say in it too, he’s out performed his contract and then some yet another season. This year the 2 seed possible? Fran COY? Ok I’m getting carried away

If I am Notre Dame, I would not go after Fran because of his age. I would want to find someone around 50 or younger.
Fran has publicly addressed the positive crowd support his team has been getting this year, particularly the Illinois and Michigan State games.

That would seem to diffuse what potentially could have been a major sticking point in him checking into Notre Dame, but what is crowd support like at post Digger Phelps Notre Dame?

Show me where the real traction is please. Other than rumors on twitter.
Northwestern is finding out where the real traction is. Hint: don't turn around. And they have a tough game at Rutgers on Sunday. Couldn't happen to a finer student section.

Is that what that ISU kid did to get kicked off the team? All I'd seen was generality statements about 'not meeting expectations' or some shit. Seems like pretty wild odd timing to kick a kid off that wasn't bringing guns to a crime scene But what do I know? But who doesn't love a good old fashioned ISU bashing post? I sure do well done Fry

Agreed, I don’t see it but I keep seeing the thought brought up. If Fran’s going to coach Jack. He’s got at least 6 more years there or more. He brings Pat along and they have a nice head start. Who can plan much past that these days. Iowa would have a say in it too, he’s out performed his contract and then some yet another season. This year the 2 seed possible? Fran COY? Ok I’m getting carried away
I don't see Patrick as being a nice head start, plus he only has one year left. With Jack having two more years of high school, if I am an AD, I would need more reason than that to hire Fran. I have seen Jack play a few times and he can really shoot it, but is not very strong, physical or aggressive right now. He has a ways to go.

Is that what that ISU kid did to get kicked off the team? All I'd seen was generality statements about 'not meeting expectations' or some shit. Seems like pretty wild odd timing to kick a kid off that wasn't bringing guns to a crime scene But what do I know? But who doesn't love a good old fashioned ISU bashing post? I sure do well done Fry
Yeah it wasn't the "official" reason but he got booted after that, I'm guessing the kid had other issues being a crappy teammate.

As to the OP topic, F*ck Iowa State. The one year it might be okay for them to be good because we beat them and it helps our SOS, they end the season in a free fall. At this point, I am ok if they just limp to a sad finish and get a high seed in the NIT or have to play in the play in game.

As for the hijack topic, Fran is relatively divisive amongst Iowa fans, but when I talk to my friends outside the Big 10, he is not highly regarded. He is either "who is your coach?" or "that guy is a nut job." I don't think the ND AD would be showered with praise for bringing over a 60 something coach who has never been to the Sweet 16 and is best known for his epic technical fouls. So, I first doubt there is much interest from ND, but even if there is, this is a lateral move at best for Fran. He and his wife have spent more time in IC then either ever did at ND, and they are still not done getting all of their kids through school. You uprooting Jack going into his junior year and I guess doing the same to Patrick? I just don't see it. Fran stays and I am glad.

I don't see Patrick as being a nice head start, plus he only has one year left. With Jack having two more years of high school, if I am an AD, I would need more reason than that to hire Fran. I have seen Jack play a few times and he can really shoot it, but is not very strong, physical or aggressive right now. He has a ways to go

Bringing Patrick along with him, a double digit guy who's started 45 games in the B1G, would be a huge head start for any coach making a move, regardless of his last name

Jack and Patrick wouldn't be the reason you hire Fran, you hire Fran because he wins at a high level every where he goes. You hire Fran because he's just finished 2nd place in the B1G after losing a lottery pick. You get Fran because he's coached his 3rd straight NPOY candidate and all 3 have different names. You hire Fran because his team's have the best one of the best offenses in the country on a consistent basis.

You get Fran because while being the 10th or in some case 11th and 12th highest paid coach in the B1G and his finishes are

22/23 - TBD but as of now looking like 2nd
21/22 - 5th
20/21 - 3rd
19/20 - 5th
18/19 - 6th
17/18 - 11th - (one down season)
16/17- 5th
15/16 - 3rd
14/15 - 3rd

That's why you hire Fran, his kids likely hardly register as a factor but my thoughts are he's going to be more successful with them then not where ever that is. Couple that with the fact that Fran continues to win at a very high clip and NO ONE cares at Iowa. In fact, the fans still want him out in a lot of cases cause Fran stares at refs and is a real mean man.

Last edited:
Bringing Patrick along with him, a double digit guy who's started 45 games in the B1G, would be a huge head start for any coach making a move, regardless of his last name

Jack and Patrick wouldn't be the reason you hire Fran, you hire Fran because he wins at a high level every where he goes. You hire Fran because he's just finished 2nd place in the B1G after losing a lottery pick. You get Fran because he's coached his 3rd straight NPOY candidate and all 3 have different names. You hire Fran because his team's have the best one of the best offenses in the country on a consistent basis.

You get Fran because while being the 10th or in some case 11th and 12th highest paid coach in the B1G and his finishes are

22/23 - TBD but as of now looking like 2nd
21/22 - 5th
20/21 - 3rd
19/20 - 5th
18/19 - 6th
17/18 - 11th - (one down season)
16/17- 5th
15/16 - 3rd
14/15 - 3rd

That's why you hire Fran, his kids likely hardly register as a factor but my thoughts are he's going to be more successful with them then not where ever that is. Couple that with the fact that Fran continues to win at a very high clip and NO ONE cares at Iowa. In fact, the fans still want him out in a lot of cases cause Fran stares at refs and is a real mean man.
All true and it is why most objective Iowa fans appreciate and love Fran as our coach and want him to stay. But his resume is far from perfect. The lack of any success in the tournament, and his age, would make this a tough sell to ND alumni and fans. Right now, this will be one of the better jobs available this cycle. I see ND getting that hot young coach who leads his plucky little squad to the Sweet 16 after knocking off some blue blood. Splash hire, not steady old coach taking a lateral move to finish out his last few years on the sideline.