Have to admit...

#1DieHardHawk

I've never been one to follow women's basketball closely but I have to admit Caitlin Clark has really grabbed my attention (I'm sure I'm not alone in that respect), and I now find myself actively seeking out the games to watch. Consider me a new fan of the women's game.

In regards to Caitlin, I kept going back and forth in my mind who she reminds me of, and then it hit me - Pistol Pete Maravich.

For those of us old enough to remember, Maravich routinely dazzled everyone with his ball-handling, range and passing. He had a certain flair with his style of play, as does Caitlin. I don't know if that comparison has been discussed. If so, I definitely agree.

I'm not much of a basketball fan at all, let alone women's. We watch basketball, I coach it, all of my kids play it, but I'm nowhere near a fan of BB like I am of FB and baseball. Having said that, I have 2 girls that absolutely love watching her play and I've gotten hooked too. We actually went down to IC this past weekend to watch the game because the girls have been begging us to take them. I haven't been to Carver since Rodell Davis got a last second tip-in to beat ISU. Unfortunately, we won big and Clark only played about 6 minutes in the 2nd half.

I've never been one to follow women's basketball closely but I have to admit Caitlin Clark has really grabbed my attention (I'm sure I'm not alone in that respect), and I now find myself actively seeking out the games to watch. Consider me a new fan of the women's game.

In regards to Caitlin, I kept going back and forth in my mind who she reminds me of, and then it hit me - Pistol Pete Maravich.

For those of us old enough to remember, Maravich routinely dazzled everyone with his ball-handling, range and passing. He had a certain flair with his style of play, as does Caitlin. I don't know if that comparison has been discussed. If so, I definitely agree.

I was very young when he was a player, so I know of him. It's too bad he couldn't stay off the bottle.
I like the comparison for the mere fact of how she is transcending the game with her skills. She is a mad passer to. Did you see that full court pass she pulled off last game. She is accounting for sometimes over 50% of the teams offensive production between her points and assists.

I think it's a valid comparison. The affect she's having on the women's basketball game. Young girls around the nation are seeking her out to watch her, new Iowa fans.

I remember during the Penn St game (at Penn St) a young girl had a sign that said "I want to play basketball like Caitlin Clark, but, I bleed blue and white". What a testament and compliment for an player. She represents the University of Iowa so well. All the women players do actually, high quality.

I'm not much of a basketball fan at all, let alone women's. We watch basketball, I coach it, all of my kids play it, but I'm nowhere near a fan of BB like I am of FB and baseball. Having said that, I have 2 girls that absolutely love watching her play and I've gotten hooked too. We actually went down to IC this past weekend to watch the game because the girls have been begging us to take them. I haven't been to Carver since Rodell Davis got a last second tip-in to beat ISU. Unfortunately, we won big and Clark only played about 6 minutes in the 2nd half.

People are making that trip because they realize this is a once in a generation player in the house right now. Even national sports media is calling her a generational player. Something you haven't seen before.

People are making that trip because they realize this is a once in a generation player in the house right now. Even national sports media is calling her a generational player. Something you haven't seen before.
I think she's making women's college basketball more popular nationally too. I'm surprised by how many games they've been on national TV, not just the B1G network this season.

I think she's making women's college basketball more popular nationally too. I'm surprised by how many games they've been on national TV, not just the B1G network this season.

There seems to be evolution in the game at certain times, like with Steph Curry's game. Players that change the course of basketball, and she seems to be the force driving this evolution at this point. Fun to watch.

I think the first found WNBA draft picks (Prob first 1 and 2 pick actually) get around $75,000 some annually for a contract. She may bump that up to $100,000 plus for a first pick for the first time.

I wonder if we will see Caitlin Clark Nike shoes at some point?

How far time-wise are you from IC?

Season tix for kids under 18 are only $30. Adults are $125 and you get damn close if you want.

How far time-wise are you from IC?

Season tix for kids under 18 are only $30. Adults are $125 and you get damn close if you want.
We're 2 hours away. I enjoy the drive, but it's too much of a time commitment considering we have 4 kids that are all in activities. I didn't realize that they were that cheap. Might be something to look into next year. More than worth it to watch Clark and some of the young players that they have. I have no doubt that my wife and I will have season tix to FB games when the kids are gone though.

Caitlin is fast becoming one of the biggest names in all of college basketball. Her name is also brought up frequently on national sports radio shows.

Makes one wonder, how might HyVee consider an ad campaign featuring Caitlin and Pat Mahommes?

It has got to be tempting for her to lose some of her humility, given all of the attention she receives. So far, so good. I'm glad she's a Hawkeye!!!

We're 2 hours away. I enjoy the drive, but it's too much of a time commitment considering we have 4 kids that are all in activities. I didn't realize that they were that cheap. Might be something to look into next year. More than worth it to watch Clark and some of the young players that they have. I have no doubt that my wife and I will have season tix to FB games when the kids are gone though.
Baseball season tix are riDONKulously cheap. Perfect retirement purchase.

There seems to be evolution in the game at certain times, like with Steph Curry's game. Players that change the course of basketball, and she seems to be the force driving this evolution at this point. Fun to watch.

I think the first found WNBA draft picks (Prob first 1 and 2 pick actually) get around $75,000 some annually for a contract. She may bump that up to $100,000 plus for a first pick for the first time.

I wonder if we will see Caitlin Clark Nike shoes at some point?
Egads, is that all the salary WNBA players make?? Caitlan could make more money that that every year sitting on her butt in Iowa City, drinking gin&tonics, eating bonbons, and endorsing products!

Caitlin is fast becoming one of the biggest names in all of college basketball. Her name is also brought up frequently on national sports radio shows.

Makes one wonder, how might HyVee consider an ad campaign featuring Caitlin and Pat Mahommes?

It has got to be tempting for her to lose some of her humility, given all of the attention she receives. So far, so good. I'm glad she's a Hawkeye!!!

Dan Patrick said on his radio show that he think she is the best shooter in college basketball, male or female.

Egads, is that all the salary WNBA players make?? Caitlan could make more money that that every year sitting on her butt in Iowa City, drinking gin&tonics, eating bonbons, and endorsing products!

Yea, I looked it up because I was curious and I was flabbergasted how much the top players make compared to the NBA. Weird, the other day when I looked up salaries I could swear they were quite low. Now I see a different amount when looking up.

I have a coworker who follows WNBA pretty close because he had a relative play at one time.

He doesn't think she'll translate to the pros because the reason she scores so much is because she shoots a ton. I have no dog in the fight because I have never watched a WNBA game in my life, but I looked and she's 2nd in scoring in D1, but 124th in FG%. My coworker said there's no way she's going to be able to get off even close to the number of shots in the WNBA. I have no idea.

Yep. She'd make way more money long term getting into coaching.

If she becomes a WNBA star, she'll make a lot of money playing overseas in the "off-season" and also endorsing products. Not sure exactly how well her game translates, but I wouldn't bet against her. Her range is unbelievable, she seems to have a drive to be great, and is a damn good ball-handler and passer, too.

Dan Patrick said on his radio show that he think she is the best shooter in college basketball, male or female.
No. Her FG% (46%) ranks 125th in the college women's game. Granted, many at the top of that heap are probably centers who shoot from close range (think Cizano), but I don't think many would suggest she's the most accurate shooter. She probably has the longest range, but that's a different category.

I have a coworker who follows WNBA pretty close because he had a relative play at one time.

He doesn't think she'll translate to the pros because the reason she scores so much is because she shoots a ton. I have no dog in the fight because I have never watched a WNBA game in my life, but I looked and she's 2nd in scoring in D1, but 124th in FGA. My coworker said there's no way she's going to be able to get off even close to the number of shots in the WNBA. I have no idea.
The WNBA is certainly a different brand of ball than college. Just as the NBA is grown men, the WNBA is populated by strong, grown women. This season Caitlin averages 7 made FTs a game, and most of those points will go away in the WNBA for 2 reasons: first, dramatically faster, quicker, & better defenders which will prevent her from driving; and second, about the 2nd time Clark drives the lane and gets her head knocked off by somebody 2x bigger and 3x stronger, she'll think twice about how often she drives. I do think some of her skills WILL transfer: she's a decent 3 pt shooter, an above-average passer, and has above-average court vision. Her defense will need to improve, and she'll REALLY have to spend more time in the weight room and get physically stronger.

He doesn't think she'll translate to the pros because the reason she scores so much is because she shoots a ton. I have no dog in the fight because I have never watched a WNBA game in my life, but I looked and she's 2nd in scoring in D1, but 124th in FG%. My coworker said there's no way she's going to be able to get off even close to the number of shots in the WNBA. I have no idea.

I call BS on this one. She is being called a once in a generation player. I think her ability to see the court and dish out assists has to be put into perspective. She is also going to be playing with other great players and teams can't just focus on her like in college as much. I just don't see the fall off being that much where she wouldn't be productive on a team. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
No. Her FG% (46%) ranks 125th in the college women's game. Granted, many at the top of that heap are probably centers who shoot from close range (think Cizano), but I don't think many would suggest she's the most accurate shooter. She probably has the longest range, but that's a different category.

But, there is not doubt she garners other teams attention so much she affects the game. Isn't a field goal % of 46% from a point guard pretty respectful? I mean she's in the middle of the pack which would be at least average.