What happened to Minnesota?

hawkeyewx

Minnesota was mostly respectable for years. Then coach Pitino left. Now, they are horrible. They got beat by 35 points at Rutgers a few days ago and they are about to get beat by 35 points, at home, tonight, and go to 1-11 in the conference.

Iowa plays at Minnesota next Sunday.

Minnesota was mostly respectable for years. Then coach Pitino left. Now, they are horrible. They got beat by 35 points at Rutgers a few days ago and they are about to get beat by 35 points, at home, tonight, and go to 1-11 in the conference.

Iowa plays at Minnesota next Sunday.
Who gives a crap, hope they stay in the toilet. That is a game iowa simply cannot afford to lose.

We need at least four down the stretch. This is the only road game that should be in the bag. Of course, see Nebraska road loss as evidence nothing is certain.....

BTW, did anyone catch the Nebbie game last night and watch that back-up little guard pour in 30 points? That kid was launching from 30 feet. Hoiberg has him self a shooter there, but he won't have that same fortune against Iowa as we switch ball screens more and our guards are good defenders. Penn State was chasing the kid all over the court and failing.

Ole Pitino knew when to jump off a sinking ship.
Pitino got fired. He drove recruiting into the ground and this is the effect of it now.

I know a person doesn’t have to play a sport at a high level to be able to coach at a high level, but Richard Pitino is the only one I’ve ever known who never played a single minute of organized basketball from pee wee age on up. He answered the question in an interview once. I coach high school sports and I can’t even fathom that. I mean at least some grade school or high school playing time you’d think would be somewhat necessary just to have even rudimentary connection.

I get that he was around his dad 24/7 growing up, but holy smokes. He’s obviously capable of coaching a major team even if he sucks at it, but I just don’t understand it.

Interesting development. Over decades minny has had more success in basketball than football. It just goes to show that one bad coaching hire can send a program into a tailspin.

This thought process can cause irrational behavior from a fan base and lead to a paralyzing fear that can result in accepting good and predictable results and never expecting great results. This mindset is a dream world for any coach and can achieve moderate success consistently.

However, severe bumps can come along a jar people awake from their slumber. Bumps like nepotism. Iowans are for the most part hard working people and principles people. They enjoy simple life styles, however those values lead to a level on integrity and honesty. There is no place for arrogance and questionable honesty in the hearts of people like this.

Iowan’s aren’t stupid but loyalty can be blind sometimes. I know that most of us that show an allegiance to simple things like sports teams will be patient (probably to a fault). I am guilty of this Maybe it is just pride and ego and not wanting to admit error. Let’s face it, recent events has been like a slap in the face, or a bucket of ice water being thrown into your face in the midst of an hot iowa summer.

I am still hoping for a turn around (and not for just one or two seasons) this fall) but truly moving forward. Something has to give. Along with a strong sense of loyalty, honesty and moral character, naturally comes expectations. A loss of expectations can be followed by a loss of honesty and integrity. So it’s not just about sports it’s about things of true value. It’s just my opinion and others may have theirs,

I am sure the folks who thought Jim Jones was the way to go thought they were doing the right thing. There must have been A LOT of SUGAR in that kool-aid that day in order for people to swallow it.

By the way I was 16 years old when that story hit the national news. I can’t help but laugh when I look at these younger people quoting “don’t drink the kool-aid” and yet they don’t even have a clue where that phrase originated from.

I hope this fall that this upcoming season is like a refreshing cool drink on a hot humid summer day. That we will eventually look back and laugh at all the doubt and be embarrassed by our poor judgements. Hell I make mistakes all the time. At the same time the scent of nepotism is a foul odor and isn’t something Iowans are going to want to tolerate for very long.

Now I am not trying to derail this thread, but not much commentary is happening here anyways.

Pitino got fired. He drove recruiting into the ground and this is the effect of it now.

I know a person doesn’t have to play a sport at a high level to be able to coach at a high level, but Richard Pitino is the only one I’ve ever known who never played a single minute of organized basketball from pee wee age on up. He answered the question in an interview once. I coach high school sports and I can’t even fathom that. I mean at least some grade school or high school playing time you’d think would be somewhat necessary just to have even rudimentary connection.

I get that he was around his dad 24/7 growing up, but holy smokes. He’s obviously capable of coaching a major team even if he sucks at it, but I just don’t understand it.
Was he fired? For some reason I thought he pulled an Alford. Just looked it up and yeah you're right he was fired. I guess since he ended up at New Mexico the Alford comparison was just stuck in my head. Yeah the 'who you know/are related to' thing is what gets guys more jobs then anything. How well you do impacts how good of jobs and how long you can stick around but if you have the connections you'll never not have a job.

Interesting development. Over decades minny has had more success in basketball than football. It just goes to show that one bad coaching hire can send a program into a tailspin.

This thought process can cause irrational behavior from a fan base and lead to a paralyzing fear that can result in accepting good and predictable results and never expecting great results. This mindset is a dream world for any coach and can achieve moderate success consistently.

However, severe bumps can come along a jar people awake from their slumber. Bumps like nepotism. Iowans are for the most part hard working people and principles people. They enjoy simple life styles, however those values lead to a level on integrity and honesty. There is no place for arrogance and questionable honesty in the hearts of people like this.

Iowan’s aren’t stupid but loyalty can be blind sometimes. I know that most of us that show an allegiance to simple things like sports teams will be patient (probably to a fault). I am guilty of this Maybe it is just pride and ego and not wanting to admit error. Let’s face it, recent events has been like a slap in the face, or a bucket of ice water being thrown into your face in the midst of an hot iowa summer.

I am still hoping for a turn around (and not for just one or two seasons) this fall) but truly moving forward. Something has to give. Along with a strong sense of loyalty, honesty and moral character, naturally comes expectations. A loss of expectations can be followed by a loss of honesty and integrity. So it’s not just about sports it’s about things of true value. It’s just my opinion and others may have theirs,

I am sure the folks who thought Jim Jones was the way to go thought they were doing the right thing. There must have been A LOT of SUGAR in that kool-aid that day in order for people to swallow it.

By the way I was 16 years old when that story hit the national news. I can’t help but laugh when I look at these younger people quoting “don’t drink the kool-aid” and yet they don’t even have a clue where that phrase originated from.

I hope this fall that this upcoming season is like a refreshing cool drink on a hot humid summer day. That we will eventually look back and laugh at all the doubt and be embarrassed by our poor judgements. Hell I make mistakes all the time. At the same time the scent of nepotism is a foul odor and isn’t something Iowans are going to want to tolerate for very long.

Now I am not trying to derail this thread, but not much commentary is happening here anyways.
Only you could turn a thread about Minnesota BB into throwing shade at BF and KF. Nice work.

That is amazing if that is true, and as you point out, weird as hell.

That is amazing if that is true, and as you point out, weird as hell.
He went to Providence College outta high school and was a basketball manager on that team and the rest is history. If he wasn't the son of Slick Rick he'd probably be trying to sell people insurance over the phone.

If you asked an AI team at Google to spit out a computer generated picture of an entitled rich kid of a mobster that everyone in class hates and drives a brand new Vette who's stuck in 1989, this is exactly what it would give you...

1675708573926.png

He is at New Mexico now as the head coach and they are 19-3 at this juncture.

He is at New Mexico now as the head coach and they are 19-3 at this juncture.
His average finish in his 8 years in the Big Ten was 10th. Last year he finished 10th in a non-P6 conference.

If you translate his career results to a grading scale, he's an F.

Keno Davis didn't play college and i'm not sure how much high school he played but it had to be some.

Thirty, forty years ago many student managers went into coaching (such as Bruce Pearl who was also the mascot at Boston College when Mr. Davis was there) but most student managers were good players in high school.

Last edited:
He went to Providence College outta high school and was a basketball manager on that team and the rest is history. If he wasn't the son of Slick Rick he'd probably be trying to sell people insurance over the phone.

If you asked an AI team at Google to spit out a computer generated picture of an entitled rich kid of a mobster that everyone in class hates and drives a brand new Vette who's stuck in 1989, this is exactly what it would give you...

View attachment 9834

Scott Drew (coach of Baylor) did the same thing. He was a manager at Valpo where his dad Homer was the coach. Worked out a little better for him. :)

Drew graduated from Butler University in 1993 with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts. While at Butler he was a member of Delta Tau Delta International Fraternity.[6] Although he never played college basketball at the varsity level, Drew spent two years as a student assistant for the men's basketball team, and also played on the men's tennis team but did not earn a letter.[7]

Afterwards, Drew assumed an assistant coaching position with the Valparaiso University Crusaders men's team under his father Homer Drew. He spent nine years in this position, during which he earned a master's degree from Valparaiso and a reputation as one of the best recruiters in the nation. Once the elder Drew retired, he became the team's head coach for one year. In that year, Valparaiso won the regular-season conference championship, but lost to IUPUI in the Mid-Continent Conference tournament, thus losing the bid to the NCAA tournament. However, the team proceeded to earn an NIT bid. When Drew went to Baylor, his father came out of retirement to coach Valpo.

Scott Drew (coach of Baylor) did the same thing. He was a manager at Valpo where his dad Homer was the coach. Worked out a little better for him. :)

Drew graduated from Butler University in 1993 with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts. While at Butler he was a member of Delta Tau Delta International Fraternity.[6] Although he never played college basketball at the varsity level, Drew spent two years as a student assistant for the men's basketball team, and also played on the men's tennis team but did not earn a letter.[7]

Afterwards, Drew assumed an assistant coaching position with the Valparaiso University Crusaders men's team under his father Homer Drew. He spent nine years in this position, during which he earned a master's degree from Valparaiso and a reputation as one of the best recruiters in the nation. Once the elder Drew retired, he became the team's head coach for one year. In that year, Valparaiso won the regular-season conference championship, but lost to IUPUI in the Mid-Continent Conference tournament, thus losing the bid to the NCAA tournament. However, the team proceeded to earn an NIT bid. When Drew went to Baylor, his father came out of retirement to coach Valpo.
Tough for sure.
I wonder if he played high school or middle school ball.

Pitino did neither. Never played the game whatsoever, learned it from his dad