Sandfort Huge Miss.... Now?

HawkGold

Per Fry...

"There are two things dooming this team and both are recruiting issues. Which sucks because I love Fran.

1) As said before, zero depth. The only way this team is successful is with a single 5 man lineup. With even one of those two players gone you’re going to struggle, when two are gone…turn out the lights—party’s over.

2)
Peyton Sandfort was a HUGE recruiting miss. Can’t blame that entirely on Fran because Sandfort was a high school film queen. There’s no way to know if a player is going to fall apart when he’s on a bigger stage until he gets to that bigger stage... Sandfort doesn’t have the stones to play on tv in front of 12,000 hostile fans."

Last edited:
The team for sure moves the ball around better when Sandfort is in the game. As they are currently, they are a tough out with this ball movement. Sandfort had 22 points. Not a lot of assists, but he began or continued the great passing that led to scores. Kind of reminds me of Steve Wait. When/if PM comes back, Iowa has a lot of front-court depth.

The team for sure moves the ball around better when Sandfort is in the game. As they are currently, they are a tough out with this ball movement. Sandfort had 22 points. Not a lot of assists, but he began or continued the great passing that led to scores. Kind of reminds me of Steve Wait. When/if PM comes back, Iowa has a lot of front-court depth.
One solid game among a veritable smorgasbord of turds does not vindicate said turds.

I would think with your vast education you would have heard of the concept of recency bias, but alas, I don’t have experience with correspondence schools.

And for that, I’ll give you a pass.

One solid game among a veritable smorgasbord of turds does not vindicate said turds.

I would think with your vast education you would have heard of the concept of recency bias, but alas, I don’t have experience with correspondence schools.

He's young Fry. He played a good game. Actually his 2nd in a row. I really don't get your mentality. Your post about him was one of the worst I've seen on here in calling out players. I have no issue with calling them out, but seriously don't do it. I have no problems with calling him out. But it was over the top.

It's not been hard to see his potential, especially in his ability to see the floor and make passes. So many bigs see only what is right in front of them. The drama continues. My correspondence graduate degree comes from a face-to-face P5 school and my BS from a regional school that is academically challenging. I work for a P5 university in a job requiring an advanced degree and I have my own business.

Btw, Buena Vista happens to have one of my published books on the shelf. That shouldn't be too far for you. But don't worry, I know of 269 other libraries that carry it including in Australia, China, Qatar, UAE, Britain, Germany and Holland.

Last edited:
PS played a good game. If you look at film from previous games you will see Gatens has worked on lining up the elbow to the target. His shot is more in line mechanically and confidence grew with the first make on. Good to see some coaching and positive results. Lets see if its not just a one or two off game.

Sandfort has had two good games and I hope he is out of his brick funk. Let's see if it continues.

Ulis is also a mixed bag with mostly turds....but he did knock down a couple of big 3s today.

Last edited:
Waite was a post player. From that era Peyton is more Bobby Hansen. Tom Norman.

In addition to much needed scoring he made a beautiful cut to the low block where Rebraca found him. That was as impressive as his outside shooting.

Actually, it’s two games in a row now where Sandfort played very, very well. I’m excited for him.
He is a young player. Today he stepped up in one of the toughest arenas in college basketball.

if nothing else, it is very encouraging.

Per Fry...

"There are two things dooming this team and both are recruiting issues. Which sucks because I love Fran.

1) As said before, zero depth. The only way this team is successful is with a single 5 man lineup. With even one of those two players gone you’re going to struggle, when two are gone…turn out the lights—party’s over.

2)
Peyton Sandfort was a HUGE recruiting miss. Can’t blame that entirely on Fran because Sandfort was a high school film queen. There’s no way to know if a player is going to fall apart when he’s on a bigger stage until he gets to that bigger stage... Sandfort doesn’t have the stones to play on tv in front of 12,000 hostile fans."
He proved today that he has stones. Big time. He hit baskets when Iowa had to have them

Sandfort has been in a slump but that doesn’t mean he’s not a capable division 1 basketball player. He showed signs last year and everyone said he had a great summer. I thought he would eventually come out of his slump. One or two games doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to start being productive all of the time but I am hopeful that he is putting the slump behind him and ready to take his game to a higher level. If he does it’ll make Iowa tough to defend with Murray and Rebraca performing at their current level.

We've all been frustrated with his shooting this year, but he's had more than 2 good games and had several in the past 2 years. Even if his shot isn't going he does so much else for the team. Smart player, good rebounder for a guard, effective defender and just his outside threat draws coverage that opens up thew floor for others.

I’m sure it was said out of frustrations- I said this team wasn’t going to be good enough to make the NIT, I feel that might have been an over reaction. Iowa is stacking up some Q1’s now.

I’m sure it was said out of frustrations- I said this team wasn’t going to be good enough to make the NIT, I feel that might have been an over reaction. Iowa is stacking up some Q1’s now.

I don’t think people realize how devastating that Eastern Illinois loss was. They still have a lot of work to do to overcome that Quad 4 loss at home. They are trending in the right direction, tho. I do think they will end up working their way to at least being a bubble team.

Rutgers is certainly a KenPom darling. Even after today's results they're still ranked #16.

Watching Purdue-Penn State at the Palestra. Sounds like Robbie Hummel is doing the double. This must be what he was been talking about when he mentioned the New Jersey Turnpike during the Iowa game.

Per Fry...

2)
Peyton Sandfort was a HUGE recruiting miss. Can’t blame that entirely on Fran because Sandfort was a high school film queen. There’s no way to know if a player is going to fall apart when he’s on a bigger stage until he gets to that bigger stage... Sandfort doesn’t have the stones to play on tv in front of 12,000 hostile fans.

1673222107743.png

In addition to much needed scoring he made a beautiful cut to the low block where Rebraca found him. That was as impressive as his outside shooting.
Agree, but the way he moves and his determination reminds me of that. The game has changed so much. Specifically the 3 point play against Syracuse. Waite wasn't the best on the floor, but he was who you wanted on the floor. He would do what needed to be done.

Curious, do you think Brookins was just hot or was he under utilized prior to the tourney? He launched some real strikes during that run. Al McGuire really like Arnold and Brookins.