The Music Scrimage Bowl

NCHawker

Well i've come to believe that the bowls are fundamentally chaning. The teams that show up bear little resemblence to the teams they were in October. THere are opt-outs for the draft, portal departures, injuries and even staff vacancies. Seems like a lot for the staff to work on. But everyone has the same weather I guess.

Fans are starting to realize - its not much more than an exhibition scrimmage sponsored by corporations

Well i've come to believe that the bowls are fundamentally chaning. The teams that show up bear little resemblence to the teams they were in October. THere are opt-outs for the draft, portal departures, injuries and even staff vacancies. Seems like a lot for the staff to work on. But everyone has the same weather I guess.

Fans are starting to realize - its not much more than an exhibition scrimmage sponsored by corporations

Correct. The past few years the opt outs have changed the bowls a little bit, but you weren't rolling out a fundamentally different team. Now I don't have any idea how many guys we start on offense will be anywhere near starting or even on the team next year. The Chamber of Commerce bros who run this racket are probably sweating bullets because not even the rubes from Nebraska would pay to go see this shit.

2-3 million people will watch this scrimmage, which 90% of the TV shows, streaming or not would kill for. Get 2-4,000 Iowa fans to come and likewise for Kentucky and the Nashville Chamber of Commerce can call it a win.

I can only imagine the stare he would give you if you suggested such a thing to him.

Meh, I'm a pretty fucking die-hard fan but there's not a chance in hell I would let my kid play in this game if he was as good as Jack Campbell. Say you get to the fourth or fifth practice and you see that this will be a repeat of the bowl game we had against LSU where we didn't cross the 50 - why would anyone on the defense who has draft prospects risk themselves for the game? It makes no sense. Not for this team, not in this circumstance. These guys have a finite number of hits they can take and there's no sense wasting them on this turd of a game.

Meh, I'm a pretty fucking die-hard fan but there's not a chance in hell I would let my kid play in this game if he was as good as Jack Campbell. Say you get to the fourth or fifth practice and you see that this will be a repeat of the bowl game we had against LSU where we didn't cross the 50 - why would anyone on the defense who has draft prospects risk themselves for the game? It makes no sense. Not for this team, not in this circumstance. These guys have a finite number of hits they can take and there's no sense wasting them on this turd of a game.

And you think you are going to convince Jack Campbell to come around to your viewpoint? Have you seen his post-game press conference responses?

Saying that him participating is not a wise decision is one thing...convincing HIM of this same view point is a completely different animal.

And you think you are going to convince Jack Campbell to come around to your viewpoint? Have you seen his post-game press conference responses?

Saying that him participating is not a wise decision is one thing...convincing HIM of this same view point is a completely different animal.

Agreed. Luckily he will be privvy to the workings of the offense with a third string QB getting snaps with the first team, or what's left of it. If he plays I think it will mean the offense will be servicable and we'll win 52-3.

Correct. The past few years the opt outs have changed the bowls a little bit, but you weren't rolling out a fundamentally different team. Now I don't have any idea how many guys we start on offense will be anywhere near starting or even on the team next year. The Chamber of Commerce bros who run this racket are probably sweating bullets because not even the rubes from Nebraska would pay to go see this shit.

This also makes following high school recruiting totally meaningless. Like limbo (how low will you go) it’s like (how long will you stay?)

Campbell and LaPorta will both play that is how they are wired.
I get it, but that's why I asked how you'd approach it as parents. Not only of Campbell, really of any kid who should get drafted this spring. I don't see it as bailing on a team any longer. The season is over. Universities rake in ungodly amounts of TV money, ADs fire coaches mid-year, coaches leave for higher paying jobs, kids jump in the transfer portal....it is what it is.

I don't get why people keep calling it a exhibition, the game counts on their record. It's a non conference game against a decent opponent where the winner gets a trophy.

I don't get why people keep calling it a exhibition, the game counts on their record. It's a non conference game against a decent opponent where the winner gets a trophy.
Exactly, you only get so many opportunities in life to play in games like this.

I also don't get why you deny letting a kid that is in the portal an opportunity to practice and play in the game, that is, if he actually wants to play. Now if he is leaving because he hates Iowa and wants nothing to do with Iowa ever again, then he should just clean out his locker and go. But why kick somebody like Alex Padilla out if he wants to stay for the bowl game? A good kid and teammate who is leaving as an Iowa graduate. Maybe it was his choice to leave now. That's fine. But otherwise let him stick around if he wants.

Took like less than 2 years for the sport to be ruined. But we just gotta accept, this is what it is now.