Terry Roberts in Portal

Why are they losing D starters all of the sudden?
$$$ Kids are all predisposed to thinking the grass is always greener. Especially the $. This sucks I like the kid. Wish he'd stay. But so long as we play the portal game too we'll be fine. What DB that's disgruntled at their previous school wouldn't want to play for Parker and DBU? There's over 1000 kids in the portal. Lots of good DBs.

Trick is if we have DBs we want to really keep (DeJean) then you have to constantly recruit them as you have them too. Otherwise guys like Roberts and Jacobs can blindside you like this. Keep them happy all the time not just initially. Recruiting is 24/7.

This must be maddening to the staff to be running around trying to retain, recruit, prepare for a bowl, evaluate the program, re-recruit - and be careful not to communicate with the collective (ya right).

i hope they are getting the portal departure decisions all at once instead of trickling surprises every day

This must be maddening to the staff to be running around trying to retain, recruit, prepare for a bowl, evaluate the program, re-recruit - and be careful not to communicate with the collective (ya right).

i hope they are getting the portal departure decisions all at once instead of trickling surprises every day
Yup coaches are busy busy these days that's for sure. How KF manages this 'off season' will be interesting to say the least. I wouldn't say it's a make or break yr. But it's a cross roads of sorts.

IIRC, I think his dad tweeted after he got hurt complaining about having hard practices right before games

Why are they losing D starters all of the sudden?

if you're good and you know that have a place to go, you're left with this.

I stay and get no retention $ or

I go and get some $.

The collective needs to come up with a retention bonus strategy at the end of the season next year. Some will still leave but ....some would still stay too.

I have a weird feeling that there's something going on behind the scenes we don't know about. There are too many players that are surefire starters on next year's roster that are entering the transfer portal. I'm not buying that all these players are transferring simply because another school offered them a better NIL deal.

Does anybody know if Jermari Harris is healthy, happy and not looking to go somewhere else?:)

Win or lose has little impact on the program in my opinion. Out on the recruiting trails right now does. I believe they know that. Some Iowa media have said it's probably a positive that we aren't in a more important game in Indianapolis from that perspective.

It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread that players are leaving due to NIL. I love Terry Roberts and I wish he weren't leaving, but what has he shown to warrant an NIL deal somewhere? Not saying he isn't worthy of going to another P5 school and earning playing time. But he's been injured so much of his time, along with being behind some very good players in front of him, that he hasn't seen that much time as a DB on the field. What collective is going to open up their wallet for someone like him?

Yes, it's weird. Terry Roberts seemed like the ultimate team player last year. Unselfishly laying out his body making great plays on special teams before he became a starter at CB. I guess once you get hurt a couple times, your attitude starts to change and you start to think about yourself more and your future, and of course, you start thinking about getting that money now because it may not be there later.

He’s been in IC since 2018. He’s never cracked the starting line up sans an injury and he came into his senior season as a 2nd team left corner.

That’s how stacked Iowa has been at the position because ….

He’s a good player. He would start at a lot of schools including the P5. He can get paid and start at other places. He ain’t beating out what we have next year. Iowa is on the menu. Other programs know how well we develop players. A lot of our guys will go to as good of if not more elite programs. This is why a staff that can identify and develop talent has no place in the sport anymore.

He graduated maybe that played into his decision
Went 5 years here, never started unless injury. Wouldn’t next year either. Graduated. Gave Iowa as much as you could expect. Go get yours. He can get paid and start somewhere high level. This is now college sports. Let’s hope our coaches see that and go do the same shit, otherwise, we’re toast

Last edited:
And to not be let down time and time again by nepotism
Of all the things that happened, this happened the least.

do you know how big of non factor the nepotism at Iowa is to anyone outside the Iowa fan base? Literally no one cares and most of all players. They’re all family while at Iowa, and no one thinks that way on our team. They want to win, they want to contribute and they want to go to the NFL. Iowa provides plenty of all of that regardless of the OC’s last name

Last edited:

Latest posts