World Cup

HawkGold

This US team is very young and fun to watch. They are very aggressive. They play more like a West Euro team. Today they advanced against Iran after they had tied England in a huge upset for the tie.

Netherlands is beatable by this team.

Highlights today v Iran.

This US team is very young and fun to watch. They are very aggressive. They play more like a West Euro team. Today they advanced against Iran after they had tied England in a huge upset for the tie.

Netherlands is beatable by this team.

Highlights today v Iran.

USA playing Hard and Tough

Take no Prisoners Style

The last 20/30 minutes were intense

They can beat the Netherlands, but they are by far the best team they have played so far

Take no Prisoners Style

They can beat the Netherlands, but they are by far the best team they have played so far
England is ranked 6th. The Dutch are 8th. But I agree with you.

I love the way the US team creates chaos for the opponent. As a coach, that is my style especially when my team may be undermanned.

England is ranked 6th. The Dutch are 8th. But I agree with you.

I love the way the US team creates chaos for the opponent. As a coach, that is my style especially when my team may be undermanned.

Not knowing much about soccer or hockey, what can you do or what do you do to create chaos? I guess if I watch a soccer match, all teams look the same to me, like style, etc.. I presume not, though.

Not knowing much about soccer or hockey, what can you do or what do you do to create chaos? I guess if I watch a soccer match, all teams look the same to me, like style, etc.. I presume not, though.
Huge differences in styles between teams
The US typically takes the ball deep to the corners and cross the ball. Euro teams especially the Germans don't do that. The USvstill crosses but not deep to the corner.

In football terms to create chaos you relentlessly blitz. The US floods the penalty box area , not standing but relentlessly attacking the keeper or defender trying to create mistakes. The US plays at a very high rate of speed in attacking. The defensebis used as an offense and overwhelms the over team defense

The US defense doesn't contain but attacks. Like going for a fumble or interception on every play.

On O there are 2 or three US players around every defender in the box especially but really about everywhere

The US is not as talented but highly athletic and young. They don't take plays off. Like watching the energizer bunnies doing a full court press the whole game.

Eventually if they get past 8th ranked Holland they will face a patient mature team that pulls away late.

If I were other teams I wouldn't want to play the US. The Brits conservatory played the US to a tie, not wanting to risk losing and risking not getting into the next round.

The really good teams play ball control with technical passing and 1 v 1 moves. The US will never equalize the Euopeans on that style. A US Brazil match up would be very exciting to watch.

Loving this world cup, but Berhalter is giving me major anxiety and I'm thinking/hoping he doesn't cost us in the knock out round. Loved the way he's been pairing his center backs to tactically accommodate for the style of play of the opposing offense, but I've been less then impressed with his decision making on the offensive side of the ball and his substitutions.

While being a realist and knowing that this is setting the foundation for the 2026 team (which I'm very excited about) I definitely think we have a chance on Saturday, but the Netherlands is a very good team. I'm still really concerned about our lack of strikers on the current roster as well as our depth at outside back, as Shaq Moore has given us absolutely nothing when coming in late.

In my opinion we have to play to win and put the guys out there that give us our best chance to do so regardless of the position they play. I think our defense can keep us in the game, but we've got absolutely nothing out of the strikers in 2 of the 3 matches and I'd really like to see the USA moving Weah inside to striker and going with Gio or Aaronson on the wing. We have to get our playmakers on the field and continue to create opportunities.

Take no Prisoners Style

Last 20 minutes we almost gave it away. Drives me nuts that we went into a shell and did nothing but play in our defensive 3rd the until the final whistle. We should have stayed defensive minded but kept the game in the middle third and the attacking third but looking to continue to possess rather than doing nothing but dropping everyone behind the ball and giving Iran numerous opportunities to equalize. And absolutely no reason Wright should have entered the game late at striker. Should have gone with the extra mid from a possession standpoint and pushed Aaronson higher to do what he does best and press the opposing teams defense to make them uncomfortable and actually make them work.

Last 20 minutes we almost gave it away. Drives me nuts that we went into a shell and did nothing but play in our defensive 3rd the until the final whistle. We should have stayed defensive minded but kept the game in the middle third and the attacking third but looking to continue to possess rather than doing nothing but dropping everyone behind the ball and giving Iran numerous opportunities to equalize. And absolutely no reason Wright should have entered the game late at striker. Should have gone with the extra mid from a possession standpoint and pushed Aaronson higher to do what he does best and press the opposing teams defense to make them uncomfortable and actually make them work.
I thought they were gassed. Iran actually looked pretty good during that time. This is not a possession team for sure. US also had chances and were a bit risky in making it happen.

Kind of felt bad for the Iran players given threats to their families.

I thought they were gassed. Iran actually looked pretty good during that time. This is not a possession team for sure. US also had chances and were a bit risky in making it happen.

Agreed we were gassed, but we weren't even looking to do the little things like get the ball to the corner or even try to build up the slightest bit. Iran was a good disciplined team and we gave them chance after chance to equalize. I'd of had no problem in a 2-0 game with abandoning the offense and sitting on it, but in a one goal game and needing a win to advance I found myself sitting there not thinking were going to ride this out, but rather "we're giving them endless opportunities to push through and leaving ourselves absolutely no time on the clock in the event they do break us.

We don't have to be a great possession team to make them earn the ball back while maintaining enough discipline to keep them from getting behind us and allowing them to counter. I just feel the way they're adding time on to the clock this year you can't take your foot off the gas in the 80th minute (or anytime late) and play the way you would with a minute or two estimated minutes of stoppage time when it could end up being much longer. I think we went way to defensive way to early.

Agreed we were gassed, but we weren't even looking to do the little things like get the ball to the corner or even try to build up the slightest bit. Iran was a good disciplined team and we gave them chance after chance to equalize. I'd of had no problem in a 2-0 game with abandoning the offense and sitting on it, but in a one goal game and needing a win to advance I found myself sitting there not thinking were going to ride this out, but rather "we're giving them endless opportunities to push through and leaving ourselves absolutely no time on the clock in the event they do break us.

We don't have to be a great possession team to make them earn the ball back while maintaining enough discipline to keep them from getting behind us and allowing them to counter. I just feel the way they're adding time on to the clock this year you can't take your foot off the gas in the 80th minute (or anytime late) and play the way you would with a minute or two estimated minutes of stoppage time when it could end up being much longer. I think we went way to defensive way to early.
They are maddening which is what makes them intriguing. For me, so much easier to identify with than more recent US teams including the team that lost to Germany a number of years ago. I'm not sure if Iran was better than thought or whether the US made them look better. Then again against England you couldn't tell whether England played it that conservatively or how good the US actually was.

I think they are a handful for almost any team due to unpredictability.

They are maddening which is what makes them intriguing. For me, so much easier to identify with than more recent US teams including the team that lost to Germany a number of years ago. I'm not sure if Iran was better than thought or whether the US made them look better. Then again against England you couldn't tell whether England played it that conservatively or how good the US actually was.

I think the biggest deficiency we have is our depth. With the style of play we run it takes such a toll on our wing backs and wings, and Adams at defensive mid. So much more ground to cover then if we went a more conventional 4-4-2. I honestly think we are better athletically then most teams we'll see, but all that running in that heat, on such a tight schedule with limited rest, takes its toll. It's a shame too, because what Dest and Robinson do offensively can't be duplicated by anyone we'd bring off the bench and the 5 subs don't really help us all that much because I don't think we have 5 guys on the bench (maybe 3 or 4) that can come in and not only provide fresh legs, but tactically contribute to how we want to play.

I think what gets me more then anything is the expectations and the bar that's been set for this group simply because they got us back to the World Cup after the disappointment in the 2018 qualifying campaign. We tend to forget that we're only the second youngest team in the tournament because Tim Ream being a late addition bumped up our average age considerably. TBH the hype surrounding this group isn't based on what they're capable of doing now, but what they'll look like in 2026 when we host and the majority of them are almost all still in their prime.
We're not a powerhouse by any means, but our youth national teams have had a great deal of success. I don't think people realize how difficult our draw was, let alone the unreasonable expectations these guys are facing. We find some strikers and continue to improve our central defenders and this team could be very dangerous at home in 4 years.

I think the biggest deficiency we have is our depth. With the style of play we run it takes such a toll on our wing backs and wings, and Adams at defensive mid. So much more ground to cover then if we went a more conventional 4-4-2. I honestly think we are better athletically then most teams we'll see, but all that running in that heat, on such a tight schedule with limited rest, takes its toll. It's a shame too, because what Dest and Robinson do offensively can't be duplicated by anyone we'd bring off the bench and the 5 subs don't really help us all that much because I don't think we have 5 guys on the bench (maybe 3 or 4) that can come in and not only provide fresh legs, but tactically contribute to how we want to play.
Totally agree and will be the undoing.

I think what gets me more then anything is the expectations and the bar that's been set for this group simply because they got us back to the World Cup after the disappointment in the 2018 qualifying campaign. We tend to forget that we're only the second youngest team in the tournament because Tim Ream being a late addition bumped up our average age considerably. TBH the hype surrounding this group isn't based on what they're capable of doing now, but what they'll look like in 2026 when we host and the majority of them are almost all still in their prime.
We're not a powerhouse by any means, but our youth national teams have had a great deal of success. I don't think people realize how difficult our draw was, let alone the unreasonable expectations these guys are facing. We find some strikers and continue to improve our central defenders and this team could be very dangerous at home in 4 years.
I wouldn't want to play the US now. A mature tactical team will take them out. Not sure that will be the Dutch.

These third world countries take this stuff seriously, especially when money is on the line. Was it Ecuador or Columbia where Andreas Escobar was gunned down within a week of returning home after knocking it into his own net.

Remember the 1999 USA Women's team well, winning the cup on home soil.

Get into Croatia in 2019 because a good friend of ours from Minnesota married a countryman. They lost in the championship that year.

These third world countries take this stuff seriously, especially when money is on the line. Was it Ecuador or Columbia where Andreas Escobar was gunned down within a week of returning home after knocking it into his own net.

Remember the 1999 USA Women's team well, winning the cup on home soil.

Get into Croatia in 2019 because a good friend of ours from Minnesota married a countryman. They lost in the championship that year.
Ukrainians play with patched-up soccer balls on dirt fields with rocks and no guards. Pretty fun to watch. Escobar was Columbian.

Before my knee injury I played internationals at the universities. Fun to see the differences.

Mexicans don't pass to anybody. Germans only to Germans because they assume you can't play. Brits have fun and are serious. Chinese can't do throw-ins. The Turks are great to play with as they include you but take no prisoners. My uncle in Korea as an officer preferred patrols with the Turks as they were ruthless. Same in soccer.

Ukrainians play with patched-up soccer balls on dirt fields with rocks and no guards. Pretty fun to watch. Escobar was Columbian.

Before my knee injury I played internationals at the universities. Fun to see the differences.

Mexicans don't pass to anybody. Germans only to Germans because they assume you can't play. Brits have fun and are serious. Chinese can't do throw-ins. The Turks are great to play with as they include you but take no prisoners. My uncle in Korea as an officer preferred patrols with the Turks as they were ruthless. Same in soccer.
Funny you said that. I've been to a number of conventions and conferences where well reputable higher ups in US soccer as well as reputable figures from around the globe have pointed out "street soccer" played in other countries as the single biggest factor in why we are behind the rest of the world and not yet a powerhouse.

Fact our style in the US is taught and learned on the fields. In other countries their style, toughness, and creativity comes from the streets and those conditions that they grow up in. Truth is we'll always be trying to catch up because our kids are learning the game by stepping on fields and they're already light years ahead of us when they finally get the chance to play on an actual field.