Serious Question About Nebraska

I just saw an article from Athlon that Rhule has taken his name out of consideration for Nebraska.
Half the posters on huskerboard are freaking out because someone as low down the totem pole as Rhule turned them down (especially when he doesn't currently have a job), and half are trying (poorly) to act like it's not a big deal because they're going to hire either Luke Fickell, Deion Sanders, Urban Meyer, Matt Campbell, or Lane Kiffin.

Just fuckin' delusional to the hilt.

It is all hindsight. At the time of the invite, Nebraska was still averaging 8,9,10 wins a year. Nobody saw the program cratering like this.

No one knew it would get this bad, but many folks on here knew that Nebraska was gonna take a step back when they got into the Big Ten. At the time Nebraska joined Rutgers and Maryland weren't in the conference. Yes, Indiana stunk and Illinois and Minnesota were down, but there was no easy out in the Big Ten.

Half the posters on huskerboard are freaking out because someone as low down the totem pole as Rhule turned them down (especially when he doesn't currently have a job), and half are trying (poorly) to act like it's not a big deal because they're going to hire either Luke Fickell, Deion Sanders, Urban Meyer, Matt Campbell, or Lane Kiffin.

They need to hire someone with Big Ten experience. Hell, simply following the Bielema path at Illinois would get them to respectability in 2-3 years, but those chucklefucks are going to want a "splash" hire and hopefully they crash and burn yet again.

They need to hire someone with Big Ten experience. Hell, simply following the Bielema path at Illinois would get them to respectability in 2-3 years, but those chucklefucks are going to want a "splash" hire and hopefully they crash and burn yet again.
Correct. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't go get Bielema before he got hired at Illinois. Maybe they went after him, I don't know.

Bielema's a guy who knows it's gonna take time to figure it out, and he's not gonna get rattled along the way. nebraska fans think they're in the SEC and they can demand a guy win 10 games outta the gate or else...

Correct. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't go get Bielema before he got hired at Illinois. Maybe they went after him, I don't know.

Bielema's a guy who knows it's gonna take time to figure it out, and he's not gonna get rattled along the way. nebraska fans think they're in the SEC and they can demand a guy win 10 games outta the gate or else...

If I was Trev my number one target would be Fitz. Dude is a helluva coach but his team is getting ravaged by the portal and he has to know the dark days are coming back for Northwestern. He's also probably got at least another 20 years in him and has proven that he can beat the big dogs in the Big Ten West (which will be a relic of history soon).

Really think Campbell is still on anyone's radar?

a podcaster insisted that the next HC has one or more (like Micky J) former payers who "know the program". Ya Ya Ya, every program has its way "the iowa way", the "wisconsin way", the "buckeye way"...

Each coach establishes this. It can mean different things to different people and it need not be about "how we've always done it". I think part of Nebraska's problem is there are voices from the past lingering and influencing the program. I expect Trev Alberts to change that.

I just saw an article from Athlon that Rhule has taken his name out of consideration for Nebraska.

I wouldn't blame him. The fan base wants a Urban Meyer type hire so nothing Rhule does short of winning a NC will be enough for them.

The Big Ten needed a 12th and the other choice at the time probably would have been Missouri. In hindsight would have that been any better?

The only better choices at the time would have been Texas, Oklahoma and /or Notrre Dame.

Notre Dame probably was never going to happen. So in hindsight, I just wish the Big Ten would have added Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.

Missouri applied to get in and I thought they'd be a good match by bringing in the St Louis and Kansas City markets in with them. But they didn't have that prestige like Nebraska had and I think that appealed more to the Big Ten back then than Missouri.

It seems a lot quieter on that front, doesn't it? And really, even if he were looking around, Nebraska probably wouldn't be at the top of his list.
I think Nebraska is a step up from clown-town. More resources, a rabid fan base (for better or worse) and a power conference. I don't think Campbell is in position to hold out for something like Ohio State any more. His team has gone 11-13 over the past 2 seasons. Not exactly "hot commodity" stuff.
--------------------------------
Missouri applied to get in and I thought they'd be a good match by bringing in the St Louis and Kansas City markets in with them. But they didn't have that prestige like Nebraska had and I think that appealed more to the Big Ten back then than Missouri.

I'm still perplexed that Mizzou ended up in the SEC. They seemed like a better fit academically than Nebraska. Though having traveled there many times, the state does become "Southern" once you get below I-70.

Last edited:
A couple of other sources have the same report. Sounds like Lance Leipoldt is now the target. But, Kansas just made a move to keep him there.

Really think Campbell is still on anyone's radar?
There are several issues. The first of which is that the Clowns have been competitive. Like it or not, the 12 is a decent conference right now.

Campbell is now seeing whether he can sustain at Iowa State. Keep in mind it is still Iowa State. That said, KF went through a downturn.

Someone just might take a chance.

Kleiman would have a much better chance of being a power at Nebby than KSU.

There are several issues. The first of which is that the Clowns have been competitive. Like it or not, the 12 is a decent conference right now.

Campbell is now seeing whether he can sustain at Iowa State. Keep in mind it is still Iowa State. That said, KF went through a downturn.

Kleiman's smarter than that.

Klieman would be a good hire and seem to be a good fit. If you told the average Nebraska fan they'd be chasing a Kansas coach a few years ago they would have laughed out loud. Now, not only are they chasing but they're likely to be told "No Thanks".

I'm not sure Campbell is in "sustaining" mode. Last year's team was a huge disapointment and this year they're dead last in the conference. More like rebuild part II. He'll probably stay in Ames as long as they'll have him.

Depends who might we be able to have gotten instead at the time? They've not been a burden where it matters $ wise. But yeah from an on the field performance perspective they've been a disaster. Just depends the shoes you're in on how you look at it

In the real working world, we all know there are some people who just can't do a certain job. However, I wouldn't want to necessarily want to hire someone that only knew success. Success is accomplished through a multiplicity of factors that don't all rest with the "rock star".

I could see someone hiring Campbell. Think about how thin of a margin there is on the Iowa O. ISU's is much thinner. It's also why SDSU is nowhere near the 60 something ranked team in all Division 1 (FBS + FCS). The Big would beat the crap out of them physically without FBS scholly numbers.

Nebby wanted to believe Frost was a star and he was Paul Hogan.

A couple of other sources have the same report. Sounds like Lance Leipoldt is now the target. But, Kansas just made a move to keep him there.
Leipoldt would be an idiot to take that job unless he wants to just cash in and ruin his coaching career permanently.

He'd be going from a place where he's doing ok with zero expectations to a team where it's impossible to succeed and the expectations are unreachable.

But if he's who they're after and he just wants to make $60 million bucks and destroy his coaching career that'd be the place to do it. He'd never have to work agian.

Worked For Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley, and Frost so far.