What are the chances Kirk Ferentz retires at the end of the year?

Don't you people get it? Or maybe I don't. The guy has $42 million coming. There's nothing can be done about that. So, the question of whether or not to fire him has nothing to do with money. If we fire him, it costs us $42 million. If we continue to put up with his mediocrity and arrogance, it costs us $42 million. Let's move forward please.

I think he wants to be head coach at iowa for at least 25 seasons

I don’t know that to be the case, just a feeling

BTW, if I had his coin I’d be out

Is he that greedy?
His wife wouldn't let him.. I mean not many dudes would just leave 40 large on the table. Is it impossible that he'd retire if say he has some health issue pop up? No but he seems fine and stubborn as usual. I expect he'll hang around unless rich boosters are willing to pony up to pay it.

He will hang on as long as he can until the opportunity presents itself to get Brian in as head coach.
That was his goal 5 yrs ago... Probably hasn't changed except with each year that he's been the OC that's became more impossible. Even after the last 2 yrs I couldn't see how with BFs resume that he could have been considered for ANY D1 JOB. Let alone stay here and replace Daddy. There's a better chance of Saban replacing KF then BF at this point and I wouldn't bet on that either

Maybe a better title. What Are the Chances KF Doesn't Leave Iowa Voluntarily? I think they are pretty good. Watch things play out. The Ft Ferentz stonewall has been challenged... by OSU media. Think about that. More to that story.

I don't know, I feel like Kirk would fall on a sword for Brian, so that's why I don't completely disregard that he hangs it up

I don't know, I feel like Kirk would fall on a sword for Brian, so that's why I don't completely disregard that he hangs it up
That's not really falling on the sword as when KF is gone, BF is gone. KF could fall on the sword for Barta.

My guess is the behind-the-scenes story is a huge issue for all 3.

Does anyone think Kirk is going to walk away from $40 million to do the right thing for the Iowa program?
Does anyone think Brian is going to walk away from $900K / yr to do the right thing for the Iowa program?
They'll both hang on all the way to 0-12 as long as the check clears.

I said it after the Illinois game - dude is done. Whether he is fired or not is a different matter, but he's done. If we had a competent AD he'd call Kirk in and tell him it's been a helluva run and pass him a separation agreement with a $10 million buyout, the Ferentz name on something of note, and call it a retirement deal with a longevity bonus.

I don't get all the responses about money. I don't think the guy cares about that. His idea of a good time is grilling pork chops at home while Mary makes the rest of the meal, and then washing the dishes afterwards. And there is nothing wrong with that - it's part of what makes him likeable.

But I don't think Kirk knows what to do with himself yet. He has referenced old coaches hanging it up and dying not too many years later. I remember him saying that even while Norm and Paterno were still alive. I know he is in great shape, but I think he realizes he needs a plan for retirement. In a perfect world, he probably travels with Mary for a couple years and then comes back to be a volunteer line coach with one of his kids serving as head coach somewhere.

Maybe that vision used to always be at Iowa. And thus the other hang-up. How does his next step impact Brian? What's Brian's next move, and how can Kirk help make that happen?

What to do with himself in retirement and how he can best help Brian in the immediate future complicate his decision-making about calling it quits, in my opinion. Not the money.

Fire Barta.
'Promote' Kirk to AD for the remainder of his contract.
Bring in new Head Coach.

Last edited:
Don't you people get it? Or maybe I don't. The guy has $42 million coming. There's nothing can be done about that. So, the question of whether or not to fire him has nothing to do with money. If we fire him, it costs us $42 million. If we continue to put up with his mediocrity and arrogance, it costs us $42 million. Let's move forward please.
We do have to pay another coach after him, so you have to add that to the $42 million unless you get a coach to coach pro bono. I luv how you millennials think!

But, you are correct, it really is not about the money. Also, some boosters might pony up a large portion of that if they are disgruntled.

This is the first time that I really wonder if he would at the end of the season. With all the changes in college football with the portal, NIL, changes in philosophy, etc., he might feel that he can't really relate and not willing to adjust to it at this point.

We do have to pay another coach after him, so you have to add that to the $42 million unless you get a coach to coach pro bono. I luv how you millennials think!

Let me negotiate the contract. "Look, Xander, we really want you here but we have some budget issues. How about this - you work for us for free for two years and we will give you lots of exposure? Sound like a deal?"

Don’t forget the rest of the schedule is pretty soft and we do have one of the best defense's in college football. Good special teams also. We could theoretically win the rest and go 8-4……………. Despite the effing offense and Brian. However, If we lose on Saturday at home against NW we could lose the rest. 3-9.