Sill must see TV?

It is my #1 priority each weekend. My wife, kids, and I make an afternoon of it with the game and tailgate type food. Something I'll miss when they're older.

Having said that, if I was home alone, I'd still be anxious for the game all day, plan my to-do list around the game, and cuss at my TV as much now as I do in any other year.
This is the correct answer.

Fans who only give a shit if their team is winning or on a good run are weak sauce.

You guys know who you are and justifying it by saying you don’t watch or don’t care because the staff or program is doing it to themselves aren’t fans. You’re just casual observers. It’s a free country and you can obviously call yourself whatever you want, but you’re not fans.

I used to date a chick who thought it was so stupid that I rewatched every game. Especially the ones that I went to live. Once streaming became a thing I would watch FB games in the car on the way home afterwards (obviously not while driving). She took every opportunity to tell people we’d meet or friends of hers I hadn’t met yet that I watched games 2 or 3 times and how dumb it was. And she always had a line about me re-watching games I went to live—“You were literally right there. Why do you have to watch it again if you saw everything that happened?”

I used to date a chick who thought it was so stupid that I rewatched every game. Especially the ones that I went to live. Once streaming became a thing I would watch FB games in the car on the way home afterwards (obviously not while driving). She took every opportunity to tell people we’d meet or friends of hers I hadn’t met yet that I watched games 2 or 3 times and how dumb it was. And she always had a line about me re-watching games I went to live—“You were literally right there. Why do you have to watch it again if you saw everything that happened?”
See my post to Hay. If you had to chose between a forever love and football....never mind

See my post to Hay. If you had to chose between a forever love and football....never mind
Was never about choosing between the two. I laughed it off and so did she. She moved to a different job.

What I don't think you understand is that it isn't football. Football or [insert sport here] is probably the smallest part of it...it's just the vehicle.

I feel sad for people who don't have those sorts of connections with parents/kids/friends whether it's sports or something else. There's still time for you to make them.

Was never about choosing between the two. I laughed it off and so did she. She moved to a different job.

What I don't think you understand is that it isn't football. Football or [insert sport here] is probably the smallest part of it...it's just the vehicle.

I feel sad for people who don't have those sorts of connections with parents/kids/friends whether it's sports or not. There's still time for you to make them.
I get it and w 6 kids I do and did it differently with each one. One went to grad school at Iowa mostly due to my intense passion for the Hawks. We also share enthusiasm for the 9ers. Another son....I sat thru watching endless Pack games. Kids like having their own connection. I coached a lot of their sports teams. The sports passion drove my wife nuts. She like another son just value time.

My daughters and I connect over music, movies and humor. One as I've mentioned before has a lot of medical challenges and we bond over working thru that and also taking on the school that doesn't want to deal with special needs.

Being single and w one child gives you certain advantages and disadvantages. On any given day can find 4 that think I'm cool and 2 that don't and it changes though I have 2 that never waver....they think I'm cool always.

Give you a heads up. The significant others they choose have a big impact on future parent adult child relations. Some sig others are unexpectedly threatened by close parental relationships. Not with their own but with the spouse's. No matter how hard you try to give space some are always threatened.

My wife and I are close. I did ask her permission to go the game Saturday. I was sure she'd say yes....90 percent anyway and she did. Can't find my Hawkeye hat though. My others are Orange and blue....from our local HS . I hope Petras tears it up. A loss will set back the growing enthusiasm for Illini fans for awhile.

I've known quite well an Illini fb HC and family. And an asst bb coach thru coaching my kids. One was also my asst. The other had his wife be my teams team mom. They are gone now but the game still should be fun The guy I'm going with will be decked in Orange and blue. He asked me not to embarrass him.

Go Hawks.

Last edited:
It's a sickness, I even watch recorded replays if I'm at work when I get home, even a loss! My older kids know the living room is a bad place to hang out when the Hawks are losing. I'm indifferent to their plights for about two hours and don't plan any activity during the game. My wedding reception was during the Duke/Iowa NCAA game and 90% of my family was in the bar watching the game during the dancing. Yea, I'm sick....
I DVR all of Iowa’s games, but just can’t watch losses. Delete button.

It is my #1 priority each weekend. My wife, kids, and I make an afternoon of it with the game and tailgate type food. Something I'll miss when they're older.

Having said that, if I was home alone, I'd still be anxious for the game all day, plan my to-do list around the game, and cuss at my TV as much now as I do in any other year.

Yea, I still plan my Saturday around the Iowa games, whether they are successful or not. I guess I'm just a fan. Love the university.

At this point, it's kind of like watching a "bad accident". I'm not always liking what I see, but I can't stop looking.

Last edited:
My daughter flies home for an extended weekend on Saturday. I had to make sure she was getting in early enough so I could get back to watch the game. Wouldn't miss it.

"Honey, you're going to have to sit in the airport for a bit if you get in when the game is on if you can't get an earlier flight. I will come after to get you. Ya never know, Iowa's offense might score 2 TD's this week. Luv you!".

Last edited:
Yea, I still plan my Saturday around the Iowa games, whether they are successful or not. I guess I'm just a fan. Love the universtiy.

At this point, it's kind of like watching a "bad accident". I'm not always liking what I see, but I can't stop looking.
There is a certain entertainment value. Like watching Rocky Balboa get pounded and hoping he still wins (or at least score a TD). CJ was our Rocky

Some people just seem to don't understand. People who understand and really enjoy football watch for the details or intricacies of the game. She will never understand that.

I watch the game with the family for entertainment and to see the general game and outcome. I then re -watch game on my own really looking at the details, line play and those kinds of things.

Last edited:
Until Fry came the Hawks were rarely on TV. Maybe once a year? Sometimes not. Always listened to the games on WHO with Zabel.
Probably have not missed more than 10 Iowa TV games since 1980.

Some people just seem to don't understand. People who understand and really enjoy football watch for the details or intricacies of the game. She will never understand that.

I watch the game with the family for entertainment and to see the general game and outcome. I then re -watch game on my own really looking at the details, line play and those kinds of things.
I would kill to be you living in town. I don't think I'd ever miss a football, basketball, or wrestling event. For 2 football mobile passes, two basketball mobile passes, and my 3 wrestling seasons it'd cost me $1,310 a year. Baseball seasons are $75 so make it an even $1,500. Some people I know spend three times that every summer on golf or fishing.

I would kill to be you living in town. I don't think I'd ever miss a football, basketball, or wrestling event. For 2 football mobile passes, two basketball mobile passes, and my 3 wrestling seasons it'd cost me $1,310 a year. Baseball seasons are $75 so make it an even $1,500. Some people I know spend three times that every summer on golf or fishing.

It is just a constant buzz around here which is kind of cool. Like we live just north of IC so when Iowa was playing Michigan and they did the flyover over the stadium, we can hear it where we live an see the military aircraft do the circle if outside.

It's also funny, because people who live around the IC area will time when they go in or leave work, etc.. depending on the traffic around at times. It's like when it's HC weekend or having the parade on a Friday afternoon, ya know when to flex time to get out of there or work in the home office in the afternoon. Parent's weekend as well. Then various times they will close off downtown streets for various reasons. Sometimes ya go down there on a Thursday morning and ESPN may be there setting up the College Gameday set or FOX may be setting up their BIG Football Kickoff set. It's all cool but ya have to adjust and work around that stuff.

There are always players you see around campus and ex-players, coaches, news media, etc. You will often see the players on the mopeds, especially around the Burlington St and Riverside Dr light. You definitely know when you see a football player on the ped.

I was coaching our youth basketball 3 on 3 team years ago and looked up in the stands and Lisa Bluder was in the stands among the 30 other parents/people watching the young uns. Not sure if she had a child on the other team or knew of a kid and watching them. Luckily, we blew out that team which made us look good.

It's all fun living in this atmosphere, but admittedly, it can be a little much at times and you just want to go home to chill or even watch a game at home. Maybe that is more as I get older.

It's worth it and we choose and like living here amongst the crazies, though.

Cute Baby Chicken GIFs | Tenor

Time for you to go, my sweet angel

Yea, I still plan my Saturday around the Iowa games, whether they are successful or not. I guess I'm just a fan. Love the universtiy.

I love watching our defense and special teams. At my age, I have to pee often enough to go every time we get the ball. We've usually punted by the time I get back.

Latest posts