Does Petras have another (covid) year left

What if the OL starts to gel, the WR room heals up, and Iowa successfully fumble fucks its way through the West and lands in Indy for a second year in a row? You telling me there is no way KF and Petras wouldn't want another year with the entire OL, RB room, and most of the WRs returning?

Never say never.
He's going to be known as a nice guy but the worst starting QB of the Fry/Ferentz eras. And after a few years it'll just be the worst QB since the 80s because people forget about personalities after a while.

Wish him nothing but good things after he leaves but we ain't gonna hear from him again, IMO.

He will probably transfer to Purdue along with Keagan Johnson. Get actual QB coaching and play calling. Then put up 300+ yds per game on a team that goes 6-6 and beats Iowa.

Guarantee you that Spencer Petras, regardless of what he may say publicly, wants nothing more than to finish out this season and get the everloving hell out of Iowa City for good.

He’s spent 3 years getting lambasted (for arguably good reason) by the media and on social media, and been booed by his home crowd on more possessions than not this year. I talked to some friends of his folks at a tailgate this weekend who said his parents are pretty much at the point where they don’t even want to watch and definitely don’t want to be in the stands at Kinnick. Leistikow has alluded to that as well.

Petras isn’t a quitter and he’s riding this season out while staying positive for his team and the media, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you never saw the dude within Iowa borders again after November.
It's a hell of a position to be in... Every word of what you're saying is probably true. His folks would have a terrible time if they came to games I bet. It'd be excruciating I would think. I'd have a tough time watching it on TV and the announcers are as nice as can be for the most part.

I give Spencer all the props in the world for being the stand up dude that he is. That'll take him far in life. It's not his fault that KF puts him out there instead of others. To me it's all on KF. What other coach in this situation would've kept sending Petras out there? Most would have tried Padilla more and or Labas and or worked the transfer portal this last off season.

I only go back to the Long years, but McCann is the first starting QB for Iowa who I can recall being pretty bitter about his time at Iowa as it related to the fans. Or at least not loving how he was treated in Kinnick and having mixed feelings about coming back. Since then, there's been Christensen and Rudock, too, and now Petras.

I know Kirk thinks he's somehow minimizing the "noise" or potential controversy within the team by sticking with one guy for as long as possible, but ironically not sure he doesn't actually make those things worse.

What if this season had looked like '99 from a QB standpoint (even a little bit), and we'd seen some Padilla and Labas. I think we'd all be in a slightly happier place, even if those two had struggled more than Petras. It's just a game - you can take guys in and out.
At what point does Kirk start playing the backups for future experience? Until they are out of contention for the West title? Even then, does he play Petras every down?

At what point does Kirk start playing the backups for future experience? Until they are out of contention for the West title? Even then, does he play Petras every down?

Go back to November 7, 2009. The day one Rickolas Stanzi was violently injured on a naked bootleg when he ran into the arms of a waiting Corey Wooton. After the game our Captain told us the backups get no snaps with the first team. None. Zero. Such is life when you have such limited practice time.

Iowa can't change QBs mid year because even if the backup is better he's gonna look like shit because his timing with the ones will be trash.

His folks would have a terrible time if they came to games I bet. It'd be excruciating I would think.
They do come to games. From what I’ve heard they were visibly upset at Iowa State. Tough spot to be in. You wanna be there for your kid and enjoy them being an athlete but kinda hard under the circumstances. Not enviable but whaddya do?

If SP has a Covid year remaining why not go into the portal as a graduate student at another school closer to home in California? It can't be any fun being the fall guy for Brian Ferentz failure as an offensive coordinator. The boos, for the most part, are being directed at the coaching and play calling. Since I have not been in attendance at any of the games I do not know what is being chanted. It was reported the student section was chanting Fire Brian. I don't know if the crowd has chanted anything like " we want Padilla".

Today I saw a ranking of Big 10 QB's. SP was 14th on the list. This is what other than Iowa media members think of SP's level of play. You can understand the family getting upset about the boos and the criticism being directed at his play. BUT. He has been given ample opportunities to show improvement and he hasn't progressed in the role. The same mechanical problems passing and the inability to escape a rush remain obvious. He isn't helped by the OC calling plays the offensive line can't seem to be able to block. In some sense he has been more than fairly treated by being given the starting nod when it probably has been forfeited by substandard performance.

If he wants to give it one more try it would best for all parties that he find an opportunity elsewhere.

If SP has a Covid year remaining why not go into the portal as a graduate student at another school closer to home in California? It can't be any fun being the fall guy for Brian Ferentz failure as an offensive coordinator. The boos, for the most part, are being directed at the coaching and play calling. Since I have not been in attendance at any of the games I do not know what is being chanted. It was reported the student section was chanting Fire Brian. I don't know if the crowd has chanted anything like " we want Padilla".

Today I saw a ranking of Big 10 QB's. SP was 14th on the list. This is what other than Iowa media members think of SP's level of play. You can understand the family getting upset about the boos and the criticism being directed at his play. BUT. He has been given ample opportunities to show improvement and he hasn't progressed in the role. The same mechanical problems passing and the inability to escape a rush remain obvious. He isn't helped by the OC calling plays the offensive line can't seem to be able to block. In some sense he has been more than fairly treated by being given the starting nod when it probably has been forfeited by substandard performance.

If he wants to give it one more try it would best for all parties that he find an opportunity elsewhere.
Maybe he wants to move on with his life and not go through another year of 24/7 football.

Maybe he doesn’t want to go to grad school at Iowa or at all.

Maybe if he does want to go to grad school he doesn’t want to play football while he’s doing it.

They do come to games. From what I’ve heard they were visibly upset at Iowa State. Tough spot to be in. You wanna be there for your kid and enjoy them being an athlete but kinda hard under the circumstances. Not enviable but whaddya do?
Yikes... just yikes. There's a light at the end of the tunnel for them now but man. You know what I worry about for them all now is Senior day. If he gets booed while getting honored pregame with his folks out there that'd be about as bad as it gets. I hope to God no small group of loud mouthed dipshits try to be funny that day.

prediction: Petras spends his final year at Purdue, hones his skills, and puts up huge numbers

Hopefully they realized that 99+% of the people yelling at him are beyond clueless. The dude I was sitting next to last weekend was yelling at Petras because he kept fumbling the snap. "At least he has recovered them all". I didn't feel the need to tell him that they were actually QB sneaks. Swear to God it's true.

Hopefully they realized that 99+% of the people yelling at him are beyond clueless. The dude I was sitting next to last weekend was yelling at Petras because he kept fumbling the snap. "At least he has recovered them all". I didn't feel the need to tell him that they were actually QB sneaks. Swear to God it's true.
Why am I not surprised?

Holy shit.

Wonder if he thought Nate Stanley, the absolute undisputed king of the sneak, just fumbled the ball and got 4 yards every time.

Holy shit.

Wonder if he thought Nate Stanley, the absolute undisputed king of the sneak, just fumbled the ball and got 4 yards every time.
That's what thought too. TE U? Maybe. QB sneak U? Definitely. My wife said that he needs to watch a little more ESPN and a little less Real Housewives.

that would be the ultimate metaphorical middle finger to the Iowa program, fanbase, etc.

No, the ultimate metaphorical middle finger would be if Petras transferred to Purdue, put up 35 TD passes including 6 against Iowa, then got drafted, then played as a starter in the NFL for about 8 years or so. I don't think I could handle that.

Just because folks are smart enough to make enough $ to buy tickets to games doesn't mean they have a clue about the game itself necessarily. The difference in fan intelligence is a pretty wide gap as you found out.

No, the ultimate metaphorical middle finger would be if Petras transferred to Purdue, put up 35 TD passes including 6 against Iowa, then got drafted, then played as a starter in the NFL for about 8 years or so. I don't think I could handle that.
And then while starting for the Panthers on SNF when he says where he's from he says Purdue....