Max Duggan

gillnh2o

Refresh my memory. Why did Iowa not heavily recruit this kid? He has certainly looked the part at TCU. I would bet Hayden would have gone after him.

Refresh my memory. Why did Iowa not heavily recruit this kid? He has certainly looked the part at TCU. I would bet Hayden would have gone after him.
Iowa was in on him early and offered before anyone else. He had offers from TN, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Georgia, Ole Miss, TCU, ISU, Mississippi....

he visited Iowa a few times but I don't think it was ever a real option for him.

Dude can run. He's actually at a place that's a good fit for him. He was hurt last yr some I think but when he's right he can really play. Ole Max balled out last week that's for sure. Was fun watching his highlights of beating Oklahoma that's for sure.
Who'd Iowa get the yr he came out instead was it Duece?

Dude can run. He's actually at a place that's a good fit for him. He was hurt last yr some I think but when he's right he can really play. Ole Max balled out last week that's for sure. Was fun watching his highlights of beating Oklahoma that's for sure.
Who'd Iowa get the yr he came out instead was it Duece?
I think we got Padilla when Duggan said no thanks.
The year earlier, I believe Petras was the consolation pick after Will Levis switched to PSU, when Justin Field decommitted from PSU to Georgia.

The year earlier, I believe Petras was the consolation pick after Will Levis switched to PSU, when Justin Field decommitted from PSU to Georgia.
Spencer Petras committed to Iowa the night before Zach Wilson's visit. It seemed like Wilson would have committed had he got on campus. We dodged a bullet there....

I bet you're right about it being Padilla. The yr we got Petras was when we were after the kid with the Jets Zach Wilson that went to BYU. The story I'd heard about that was he was about to come out for a visit and Petras was kinda put on the spot. He had already visited and he knew that if Wilson came out and committed no more Iowa scholly on the table. So he did and Wilsons visit was canceled and that was that...

I guess I don't remember us being in on Levis so much. I'm sure we offered but was he showing interest in Iowa too? I just don't remember that if I'd heard.

Pretty sure that Duggan came out the same year as Padilla. But he had crossed Iowa off his list fairly early in the process, and selected TCU. As InGoodCo said, we were never really in the running for him.

I bet you're right about it being Padilla. The yr we got Petras was when we were after the kid with the Jets Zach Wilson that went to BYU. The story I'd heard about that was he was about to come out for a visit and Petras was kinda put on the spot. He had already visited and he knew that if Wilson came out and committed no more Iowa scholly on the table. So he did and Wilsons visit was canceled and that was that...

I guess I don't remember us being in on Levis so much. I'm sure we offered but was he showing interest in Iowa too? I just don't remember that if I'd heard.

I think he was serious about Iowa. As I heard it, PSU was his first choice, but Fields committed ahead of him. Thats when he was strongly considering Iowa. When Fields decommitted from PSU, Levis was offered the scholly. Iowa then made a late move for Petras, who accepted ahead of Wilson as stated earlier.

Last edited:
When Gary Patterson was fired I thought Duggan might enter the portal, but he decided to stick it out. Did Iowa kick the tires, make a few phone calls to gauge interest...I wouldn't know.

When Gary Patterson was fired I thought Duggan might enter the portal, but he decided to stick it out. Did Iowa kick the tires, make a few phone calls to gauge interest...I wouldn't know.

Would he look the same as Petras & Padilla in Iowa's QB room.....I don't know. Seems the Ferentz's have a way of suppressing QB talent.

No, he would not look like Petras or Padilla. He has skills and talent. Have you seen him run or pass?

Iowa didn't entertain the thought of going after qbs that were in the portal let alone kids that weren't. Iowa was all in on the QBs they have. Granted it would have taken mutual interest from other QBs too and I doubt there'd have been much of that either. Duggan woulda been a great Qb for Iowa to have had. Swing and a miss...

'pro style' qb that can run... I'd say he's developed into more of a runner honestly. He's fast and tough. He rips off 1 long run or so pretty much every game. Fun player to watch and he woulda been a great QB for us...

USC QB Caleb Williams -2000 (bet $10 to win $10.50 total)
TCU QB Max Duggan +2000 (bet $10 to win $210 total)
Georgia QB Stetson Bennett +2800 (bet $10 to win $290 total)
Ohio State QB C.J. Stroud +4000 (bet $10 to win $410 total)

Would be nice to see a young man from Iowa win it.

Williams is the 4th best on the list in my opinion. I wish the Heisman committee would actually be objective considering all position players rather than being nothing more than a QB popularity contest.