Scuttle: Changes are coming

I wasn't trying to argue w/ you about this.

But... given your reply I'll ask you this:

I think most of us would agree last year's offense was lousy. Yet, nothing like this kind of move happened (that we know of or saw evidence of).

KF, in fact, promoted the coordinator after last year.

So what would cause him, after spending the entire "preseason" looking at this team & determining starters, to make this kind of move after 1 game?
PR

I wasn't trying to argue w/ you about this.

But... given your reply I'll ask you this:

I think most of us would agree last year's offense was lousy. Yet, nothing like this kind of move happened (that we know of or saw evidence of).

KF, in fact, promoted the coordinator after last year.

So what would cause him, after spending the entire "preseason" looking at this team & determining starters, to make this kind of move after 1 game?
Look, you are asking me to defend the indefensible. That offense saturday was about as bad as it could get. I get it. My point is that so does KF. Whether he can fix it or not remains to be seen. I have to believe they will get better as they can't get worse, but I have been saying that all Summer.

Regarding last year, a fair review of the circumstances is that due to injuries, attrition, and misses, the OL was awful, but would be better this year. Petras was serviceable to decent during the COVID year and one would expect that he would take a step forward. But, awful OL play inhibited that. So, if you are KF, you think that if you fix the OL play that you will fix the QB. After SDSU, it is clear that the OL play is not fixed and KF is ready to start benching people to get that right. We will see.

I believe that KF believes that he does not currently have a better option at QB. I think he might be right. Should have he portaled a QB during the off season? Yep. But, that is not the KF way.

As for Brian, look, we have all said this until we are blue in the face. KF has no boss. He loves his son. His son knows the style of football KF wants to play. He believes his son will get better. He aint firing him. Why not try to make him QB coach to see if he can better communicate with the QB? Not saying any of this is right or logical. This is what happens when you are successful at a place for 22 years. You get enough rope to hang yourself. Everyone has blind spots.

Curious as to the source for that
Nothing I would hang my hat on. Like most, I have Iowa friends that I text and email with and they are members of different sites. We share what we see. I also note that the release of two depth charts seems consistent with a starting line-up in flux (and a coach who does not care about media depth charts). Anyway, that is why I called it scuttle.

I have read a couple places that the film session was not pleasant Sunday and that Iowa started practice early on Monday morning, FWIIW.

Never played line or coached it, but I was wondering. A lot of times when the QB or RB plays poorly, the blame is put on bad OL execution. But can it actually be the opposite? Meaning, in Iowa's case, the opposing defense knows that Petras is not going to throw it more than 10 yards downfield so safeties can crowd the line of scrimmage. And the defenses know that Petras has the speed and quickness of a 70 year old Carver Hawkeye security guard, so they can sell out knowing he is not going to break containment and make big plays with his legs. So to fans, it looks like the OL is bad, but it's really more a product of the defense not having to play conservative against our QB.

The line play was objectively bad. Yes, play calling did not help. You have to take a couple deep shots just to loosen the safeties, and you need more play actions and screens to keep them on their toes. But even so, there were a ton of missed blocks and guys just flat out getting beat.

There absolutely should be ire at the OL coach. As I posted elsewhere, we actually have three OL coaches on staff and all of them better be focused on fixing the OL's performance or this train aint going anywhere.

couple of questions - in what world is an OC getting QB duties a promotion? From my understanding BF got less of a bonus than all of his peers this year as well. I don't see any promotion there but that's why I'm asking.

and I will be shocked if we see any sort of wholesale changes and frankly, that would likely cause Iowa to lose. Do you want Iowa to lose? Cause scrapping what they've been working on since the end of last season is a really really good way to lose.

Now - it's been a mess since Polasek left, but if I recall, TP had a few years before he got it completely pieced together too.

Personally, I feel like the mess in on Polasek's shoulders (this is conjecture, of course, I have no special insight). But he was the guy in charge of what should be 3rd, 4th, and 5th year players anchoring our OL. Those classes are pretty much completely absent.

All the Qbs below petras are about to suffer mysterious Tanya harding type Injuries.

A few thoughts.

1. - It was Tonya Harding, not Tanya.

2. - Harding wasn't injured by the sneak attack, it was Harding's rival, Nancy Kerrigan, who was attacked.

3. - The attack only caused bruising and did not break Kerrigan's knee or leg bones.

Cocoon. The O line must form a cocoon like protection such that our QB has all the relax time he needs. What we gotta have for success me thinks

A few thoughts.

1. - It was Tonya Harding, not Tanya.

2. - Harding wasn't injured by the sneak attack, it was Harding's rival, Nancy Kerrigan, who was attacked.

3. - The attack only caused bruising and did not break Kerrigan's knee or leg bones.
I'm not very fond of okeefe4prez

That's right, I hit you with the miller

Chad texted that it sounds like Brian is setting the stage for a QB change soon if performance doesn't improve, possibly early on Saturday. Brian was fairly critical of Petras in his comments.

Chad texted that it sounds like Brian is setting the stage for a QB change soon if performance doesn't improve, possibly early on Saturday. Brian was fairly critical of Petras in his comments.

The guy has been the opening day starter for 3 years. Saturday was all on coaching. You can't lose a QB coach like O'Keefe and not take a step backwards. The problem isn't Petras.

If you went into the next game without a contingency plan at QB then you are asleep at the wheel. I am sure Padilla is getting more reps, etc this week. He might get the tap....

I don't think Petras is in the entire game if he doesn't perform better and start hitting the routine passes.

Latest posts