Luka Garza update

Well, kind of a checkered past....
Holy smokes... If even only some of that is true that's pretty bad.... I mean it just feels slimy. He got square with some folks but man not all. It seems like he's got good intentions but gets out over his skis. But then again he just disappeared. I'd be curious how the last 20ish years have been for him cause hell that was all prior to 2002.

I don't think I'll be investing with him anytime at all I'll just say that. I hope Fran doesn't either....

Holy smokes... If even only some of that is true that's pretty bad.... I mean it just feels slimy. He got square with some folks but man not all. It seems like he's got good intentions but gets out over his skis. But then again he just disappeared. I'd be curious how the last 20ish years have been for him cause hell that was all prior to 2002.

I don't think I'll be investing with him anytime at all I'll just say that. I hope Fran doesn't either....

I hate to sound naive, but is this really him? I can see resemblance of the two. I read the article and read kind of a bio on another site about him and they both mention a 6' 6" size? Also, the article mentions his son and daughter who were 3 and 19 mo in 2001-2002. Luka was born in 12-1998 so would make sense. Just weird.

Now, this may explain why Luka was so lightly recruited. I always thought that was weird with his size and production as a senior. Did he have a scarlet letter on him from his dad's past? Is this the reason really no other Div I programs really offered? Is this why Mark Turgeon and Maryland didn't offer or take a flyer on a local kid? I thought that was always strange but may make sense now. I thought it was strange how a DC kid made his way to Iowa. Did Fran take a flyer on him knowing of his father's egregious past? Interesting.

I hate to sound naive, but is this really him? I can see resemblance of the two. I read the article and read kind of a bio on another site about him and they both mention a 6' 6" size? Also, the article mentions his son and daughter who were 3 and 19 mo in 2001-2002. Luka was born in 12-1998 so would make sense. Just weird.

Now, this may explain why Luka was so lightly recruited. I always thought that was weird with his size and production as a senior. Did he have a scarlet letter on him from his dad's past? Is this the reason really no other Div I programs really offered? Is this why Mark Turgeon and Maryland didn't offer or take a flyer on a local kid? I thought that was always strange but may make sense now. I thought it was strange how a DC kid made his way to Iowa. Did Fran take a flyer on him knowing of his father's egregious past? Interesting.
Yeah it's him. You can do a quick google search ad see he spent time in fed prison.

I'm not saying people can't redeem themselves and that he's not a decent guy. But, at the same time I'd never spend a penny with the guy and I wouldn't believe a single word he said in conversation.

Yeah it's him. You can do a quick google search ad see he spent time in fed prison.

I'm not saying people can't redeem themselves and that he's not a decent guy. But, at the same time I'd never spend a penny with the guy and I wouldn't believe a single word he said in conversation.

I can't believe this was never brought out and how Iowa kept this under wraps for 4 years. He always seemed kind of shady to me. I always respected how much he worked with Luka and stuff, but there was always something odd about him. Also, ya never saw his wife with him. Are they together?

I can't believe this was never brought out and how Iowa kept this under wraps for 4 years. He always seemed kind of shady to me. I always respected how much he worked with Luka and stuff, but there was always something odd about him. Also, ya never saw his wife with him. Are they together?
Yeah they're still together, at least they sat together at his jersey retirement ceremony and acted like a married couple. I don't think his mom travels around with Luka like Frank does though.

The prison deal wasn't really under wraps, I remember HR's forums had some posts about it a couple years ago but I didn't really read it.

Yeah my head was in the sand I didn't know any of this stuff. I'm kinda glad I didn't but yet really wish I had too. But that's where what all has he been up to since 02 and when Luka was at Iowa comes into play too.

He seems pretty chummy with that Hawkeye Elvis character I'm sure you've all seen around. They sit together at games and stuff. He's a lawyer of some sort and I believe is even related to the McCafferys somehow. I can't say if it's Frans side or his wifes side off the top of my head but I know I've heard that before. Knowing this now about Frank just makes me wonder if he's somehow gotten him into business dealings of some kind. Hope not...

Looks like Frank was sentenced to 30 months back in 08. I don't see if he served all that or not but that's what he was given. 2 counts of Wire fraud and 1 of money laundering..

Yeah my head was in the sand I didn't know any of this stuff. I'm kinda glad I didn't but yet really wish I had too. But that's where what all has he been up to since 02 and when Luka was at Iowa comes into play too.

He seems pretty chummy with that Hawkeye Elvis character I'm sure you've all seen around. They sit together at games and stuff. He's a lawyer of some sort and I believe is even related to the McCafferys somehow. I can't say if it's Frans side or his wifes side off the top of my head but I know I've heard that before. Knowing this now about Frank just makes me wonder if he's somehow gotten him into business dealings of some kind. Hope not...
He’s Fran’s wife’s cousin.

Greg Suckow (Elvis) is a real estate lawyer in Minneapolis. Hung out at a tailgate with him a couple times, super good dude. His mom is a fuckin hoot, she’s the one who makes his outfits.

Definitely doesn’t sound like the kind of guy who’d get mixed up with Garza in a business way or with anything involving money; Suckow ain’t hurtin. I think they’re just good buds who met when Luka came to Iowa.

You the same guy that called me out when my step brother told me nobody (financial advisors) was touching Luka because of his Dad...

You the same guy that called me out when my step brother told me nobody (financial advisors) was touching Luka because of his Dad...
I called you out for saying first it was your brother in law who was the sports agent guy, and then the next week it was your step brother. I told you you need to get your stories straight if you’re going to make stuff up.

And none of that proves your story anyway. Anyone with a smartphone can find all those articles about Garza. There were a couple threads about it on HR as well before you said anything.

Are you suggesting that it was Iowa's job to disclose a player's father's criminal past? Because I have always thought that fans (on average) have had too much entitlement in what they think the University/AD should tell them, but this would take the cake.

Are you suggesting that it was Iowa's job to disclose a player's father's criminal past? Because I have always thought that fans (on average) have had too much entitlement in what they think the University/AD should tell them, but this would take the cake.

Never said that. Point me to where I said they should have been required to disclose this.

I'lm not sure if you know how info or rumors travel, but I'm just merely pointing out the oddity that this was never really mentioned by fans in 4 years or it coming to the surface, especially with social media being so prevalent. Krist, people are constantly digging on the internet for info. It's called Google. I mean we have obsessed fans following coaches on plane tracking sites. It's just odd in 4 years, this was able to be unfounded or suppressed. It's just human nature, rumors and precarious situations humans get into on occasion.

I never was indicating it was Iowa's responsibility or job to disclose this.

This type of thing is more common than many know. It's for some reason hard to prove and get tough sentences. Elder abuse in particular makes for easy targets and oft the victims can't stand up for themselves in court. There have to be some political connections.

With what he did compared to what happens to other crimes he got a slap.

Went to college w an Anamosa bb standout standout who did prison time. A friend from college got time at Terre Haute and said it was hell. There is now a MO state law named after him. He s scarred by it but is as arrogant as ever and doesn't deny what he did. Alot of this centered around dotcom bubble and people thought the markets were forever changed until it crashed near that time.

For some the thought was they could make more money for their clients than the money would earn not invested , make money for themselves and return then return it and no one would know. Then they couldn't put it back. Another good friend was poa of an elderly lady and told me his plans and I was able to dissuade him.

More recently you may have heard about a husband and wife...he was the bank pres at a small Iowa and her family owned the bank. Prison time but could serve one after the other at what basically a camp where they weren't entirely restricted in IL. They managed to keep their castle home. Embarrassed yes but off way to easy.

I work in farm finance and have reported elder abuse....obvious elder abuse but nothing happens. One was a state rep who used the money for his campaign. The campaign finance rep who was gay and 60 married a 90 yo widow and the newly weds went out and bought a extravagant house with a pool.

The police ridiculed me for wanting there time. The situation also involved a loan that was never paid in clear violation of campaign finance.

Gott feel bad for Luka. Not his doing.

Frank is not that unusual.

Never said that. Point me to where I said they should have been required to disclose this.

I'lm not sure if you know how info or rumors travel, but I'm just merely pointing out the oddity that this was never really mentioned by fans in 4 years or it coming to the surface, especially with social media being so prevalent. Krist, people are constantly digging on the internet for info. It's called Google. I mean we have obsessed fans following coaches on plane tracking sites. It's just odd in 4 years, this was able to be unfounded or suppressed. It's just human nature, rumors and precarious situations humans get into on occasion.

I never was indicating it was Iowa's responsibility or job to disclose this.
"I can't believe this was never brought out and how Iowa kept this under wraps for 4 years."

Sounds to me like you thought Iowa was hiding it and should have said something about it.

If I misconstrued, I am sorry.

"I can't believe this was never brought out and how Iowa kept this under wraps for 4 years."

Sounds to me like you thought Iowa was hiding it and should have said something about it.

If I misconstrued, I am sorry.

I can see that. But, in my mind I was thinking how it never came out or was mentioned in 4 years, mainly by nosy fans. It's just weird this day and age.

Last edited:
Whate
I called you out for saying first it was your brother in law who was the sports agent guy, and then the next week it was your step brother. I told you you need to get your stories straight if you’re going to make stuff up.

And none of that proves your story anyway. Anyone with a smartphone can find all those articles about Garza. There were a couple threads about it on HR as well before you said anything.
Whatever you need to tell yourself...

Especially since Frank was visible publicly. More than Vandenbergs mom.
Oh I miss her.

Funny, they showed her a ton on TV that first season he played. After that, they never showed her, like someone said something. LOL.

Yea, Frank was around all the time so one would think someone would have Googled him out of curiosity of what he did for a living to let him always be around.

There was always a feeling of mystery with him.