Iowa Football Sells Out All 7 Home Games

How many of these games did we offer "buy 1 get 1 free" (which an unnamed Big Ten team did last year) or "buy a ticket, meet our Heisman Trophy winning head coach"?

How many of these games did we offer "buy 1 get 1 free" (which an unnamed Big Ten team did last year) or "buy a ticket, meet our Heisman Trophy winning head coach"?
Things are good round here. Sold every seat in Carver to wrestling season ticket holders weeks before the first dual. Most decent wrestling programs get 4-5,000 people on their best nights, we sold 15,000 X 7 events.

Things are good round here. Sold every seat in Carver to season ticket holders weeks before the first dual. Most decent wrestling programs get 4-5,000 people on their best nights, we sold 15,000 X 7 events.
I wonder how many fans we would draw if we had 5 losing seasons in a row like Nebby. Nice to see a good product, but I love the whole game day experience, walking down Melrose talking with the fans, etc. When KF first got here, I still went and had just as much fun. Last year against Purdue though...

I find a lot of irony in the fact that when Nebraska started firing every coach who had a 9 win season because they (their fans and administration) wouldn't "settle for mediocracy".

That same program is 19-37 over the last 5 years and have sold out EVERY SINGLE GAME and are near sell out every season for their spring scrimmage.

Working in Sker territory I used to get a lot "you guys don't even sell out your stadium most years for most games"

my answer was always "we don't settle for mediocracy, when our team isn't very good we let them know by not showing up to it"

I find a lot of irony in the fact that when Nebraska started firing every coach who had a 9 win season because they (their fans and administration) wouldn't "settle for mediocracy".

That same program is 19-37 over the last 5 years and have sold out EVERY SINGLE GAME and are near sell out every season for their spring scrimmage.

Working in Sker territory I used to get a lot "you guys don't even sell out your stadium most years for most games"

my answer was always "we don't settle for mediocracy, when our team isn't very good we let them know by not showing up to it"
As part of firing Pelini, Shawn Eichhorst had to evaluate where we were as a program.

At one time very recently, nebraska had 3 head football coaches and 2 ADs at one time getting paychecks every month.

Pelini (buyout), Riley (buyout), Eichorst (buyout), Moos, and Frost.

As part of firing Pelini, Shawn Eichhorst had to evaluate where we were as a program.

At one time very recently, nebraska had 3 head football coaches and 2 ADs at one time getting paychecks every month.

Pelini (buyout), Riley (buyout), Eichorst (buyout), Moos, and Frost.
Yep, they used to make fun of Iowa for paying Kirk so much and they would say how bad of a contract we gave him and boy have I enjoyed how many coaches and AD's they've been paying at the same time. I get that Barta is a loof but really, who's bad at contracts when you compare him to Nebraska lol? It's not even close. One school is getting an amazing ROI for good football, proud tradition and ones a fucking shit show.

Yep, they used to make fun of Iowa for paying Kirk so much and they would say how bad of a contract we gave him and boy have I enjoyed how many coaches and AD's they've been paying at the same time. I get that Barta is a loof but really, who's bad at contracts when you compare him to Nebraska lol? It's not even close. One school is getting an amazing ROI for good football, proud tradition and ones a fucking shit show.
Hey hey hey, that a bit over the line, don't you think? Don't make things personal comparing me to Nebraska football.

Regards,
Shit Show

I am going to celebrate 7 sell out’s for the first time since 2011. I really like that 8,500 students helped the cause. I know at times they come late and leave early. That is why the library is so packed on Saturday.

Yea, but all those Nebby sell-outs turned out to be a complete joke as they found private companies and even the school would gobble up the tickets to keep the tradition going. It was a total farce and not reflective of actual fan attendance. There would be empty seats for early home games.

It was a fuckin's joke but Nebby fans are completely oblivious and kind of simple, to be honest. They have complete tunnel vision with blinders. It's pathetic but kind of entertaining to witness from the outside.

Scott and I talked about it during the podcast this week. We agreed that it's multiple factors at work. I think COVID (this is not an invitation for discussion on that topic) played a big role.

People were isolated for a long time for the first time and Iowa football is an event beyond the game. It's a weekend of hanging out with family and friends, a welcomed social experience. I think everybody appreciates a little more now. Last year some folks still were a little apprehensive about sitting in a stadium full of people.

It also helps that Nevada is a night game and South Dakota State travels well.

Watch out for Monkey Pox!

Scott and I talked about it during the podcast this week. We agreed that it's multiple factors at work. I think COVID (this is not an invitation for discussion on that topic) played a big role.

People were isolated for a long time for the first time and Iowa football is an event beyond the game. It's a weekend of hanging out with family and friends, a welcomed social experience. I think everybody appreciates a little more now. Last year some folks still were a little apprehensive about sitting in a stadium full of people.

Tailgating last year was different than previous seasons (at least I thought it was). I can't totally put my finger on it but it seemed that people appreciated it more.

...South Dakota State travels well.
I live a stone's throw from there and I know a few of their players through youth sports and parents who are colleagues where I work. There are probably 15-20 people just from my office who never go to games who are going to that one. That game has created a huge buzz here. Hawks best not sleep on the Rabbits; they're good.

I live a stone's throw from there and I know a few of their players through youth sports and parents who are colleagues where I work. There are probably 15-20 people just from my office who never go to games who are going to that one. That game has created a huge buzz here. Hawks best not sleep on the Rabbits; they're good.
It's getting about time to do some homework on who we are up against. I think I saw them play once last yr or so ago I'm getting curious about what they have coming back for starters etc. Are they mostly a balanced team or do they like to sling it around the yard?

It's getting about time to do some homework on who we are up against. I think I saw them play once last yr or so ago I'm getting curious about what they have coming back for starters etc. Are they mostly a balanced team or do they like to sling it around the yard?
They score a bunch but they also give up a bunch. Their running back is 6'1"/220 and he can catch.

QB is pretty good, there's been talk of NFL possibly, FCS schools crank out a lot of good QBs.

SDSU is no joke, they're FCS but I'd pick them to beat Nevada head to head. In 2019 they played Minnesota and only lost by a TD and a few years before that they kept right up with TCU. I'm way more worried about that game than Nevada.

My guess would be that Phil Parker's henchmen will be too much for their OL, but on the flip side we need to come out of the gate looking for TDs and not field goals.

Don't leave out of the discussion that it is a badass home schedule. Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa State are all salty games. There was no doubt those would sell out, and I am sure that put pressure on the other games for folks looking to attend at least one game. As you noted, the night game helps too.

I also agree that more people are ready to get back to large crowd settings than a year ago.

Finally, there are expectations for this team to be good, unlike last year. We should be preseason Top 20, with an elite defense and 2 year starting QB, such that he is. Recruiting has been very strong the last two cycles. Other than a couple of transfers, most of the news out of Fort Kinnick has been pretty positive. There is legitimate buzz for Iowa right now.

I find it interesting that pre-season pollsters are not putting Iowa in the top 20 as much this year as they did last year. And has me wondering what the big difference is since Iowa is returning many of its starters.

Some theories I have

1) pollsters look at last year's success as a fluke. They think Iowa was more lucky than good.
2) Iowa did not finish strong, losing its last 2 games
3) Iowa has Michigan, Ohio State and Rutgers on this year's schedule instead of PSU, MD and Indy.
4) Iowa's special teams were the difference in many games last year and Iowa lost its elite FG kicker and its top kick returner.
5) other teams are expected to get better but Iowa won't improve any.

But in the end I still don't get it. Iowa should still be getting votes in the top 20. It's weird that they are missing from a lot of pre-season polls. Oh well we will find out soon enough who is right.

Last edited: