USC/UCLA to the Big Ten?

ND would be the big catch for the BIG without question. T. Kakert made some comments about them recently in the realignment discussions. His opinion was ND is not going to be swayed by $$.........they print money and have plenty. What could get them off their independent position would be if SEC and BIG form their own playoff system which would exclude all others not in the BIG or SEC.

ND is a fit for many reasons which primarily include academic and geographical. They also have included several BIG teams repeatedly in their scheduling over time.........Michigan, and MSU notably. USC is an annual rivalry............tOSU is on the schedule this year. Throw Stanford into the mix (frequent game on the ND schedule) as a BIG candidate and this makes for an even nicer academic fit for ND. You may not like Stanford for FB and BB but they have excelled in many other sports which I would think the BIG would have interest in. The BIG still wants the academic brand to hold.

Can't imagine what the payout would become for each BIG school if ND entered the BIG before TV negotiations.

I saw ND play in person once and their helmets are really amazing. Aside from that, on the field I think they are probably somewhere near the Wisconsin-Iowa-Michigan State tier of program, but they get a big boost by controlling their own schedule with 5 ACC games and USC sucking ass.

That's what I am talking about. They are a decent team that can rise up from time-to-time to have an outstanding season, much like the teams you mention. Yea, they had a nice run with Lou Holtz but have been very mediocre since then.

I was traveling some last week and only read up on it a little, but isn't the primary factor (by a lot) for all this is how many people would watch that school's football team on TV? So market size, prestige, history of success, etc. are really only secondary factors, and only important in the sense they can influence whether or not a person stops flipping channels and stays with that game. (Or tunes in for that game specifically).

In my opinion, I might put Oregon over UCLA. I wonder what the average TV ratings have been for each school over the past 10 years? I'm Pac-NW based (so maybe I am biased), but if I see a Ducks game on I'm more compelled to leave it on that game compared to any other Pac-12 game (in general). The Ducks have had a solid run of being relevant nationally, the change in uniforms is intriguing, the offense is usually fun, and the atmosphere at pretty solid.

Not sure what Phil Knight/his kids/Nike's involvement with the program will be down the road, but assuming it will still be impactful. If so, I'd probably try to scoop them up if I were the Big Ten before the SEC does.

Most likely UCLA was included as a package deal with USC. I think they wanted that as part of the deal. Not sure how or why they didn't lobby for Cal to be included in the package. They kind of did the middle finger to Cal. Lol.

Most likely UCLA was included as a package deal with USC. I think they wanted that as part of the deal. Not sure how or why they didn't lobby for Cal to be included in the package. They kind of did the middle finger to Cal. Lol.
Maybe they did and the Big Ten said no

I saw ND play in person once and their helmets are really amazing. Aside from that, on the field I think they are probably somewhere near the Wisconsin-Iowa-Michigan State tier of program, but they get a big boost by controlling their own schedule with 5 ACC games and USC sucking ass.
And this is exactly where I was going with the prestige comment. Agree 100% that FSU and Miami were playing with a different set of rules, but those teams are nowhere near what they once were and that's where I was going with Notre Dame in my previous post.

Latest rumors are that ESPN will blow up the ACC's GoR deal so they can get the teams they want into to the SEC TV deal. Crazy if that's the case as there's a huge conflict of interest for them.

I do think the B1G and Fox are collaborating together and Fox instead of letting Fox drive it all.

I'm getting a little nervous about the PAC 12 trying to make it work. Not best case scenario but I'd be perfectly happy if OR and Wash went to the Big 10 tomorrow. That would be the deathblow and then the Big 12 can get the 4 schools closest to us and call it good.

That said, I don't think you'll see Oregon or Washington in the Big 10.

Cowherd knows exactly zero about sports. Zero. He knows less about sports than Mel Kiper knows about football. Which is also zero.

Cowherd knows exactly zero about sports. Zero. He knows less about sports than Mel Kiper knows about football. Which is also zero.
Mel Kiper has forgotten more about football then you will ever know. For you to make a comment like that is just assanaen.

That's what I am talking about. They are a decent team that can rise up from time-to-time to have an outstanding season, much like the teams you mention. Yea, they had a nice run with Lou Holtz but have been very mediocre since then.
Brian Kellys Tenure was way above mediocre. Annual top 10 team 2 CFP 1 National Championship that is way above mediocre.

Latest rumors are that ESPN will blow up the ACC's GoR deal so they can get the teams they want into to the SEC TV deal. Crazy if that's the case as there's a huge conflict of interest for them.

I do think the B1G and Fox are collaborating together and Fox instead of letting Fox drive it all.
The names of the two new superconferences should be:

Fox
ESPN

Call it what it is.

If you're Oregon and Washington, is there some value in trying to hold the Pac 12 together and becoming the flagship schools of the conference? I get the money can't rival the payouts you'd get in the Big 10 or SEC, but bear with me for a minute.

Maybe you pick off BYU to pair with Utah. And then pull off a coupe of your own by moving the 4 Texas schools over.

Again, not saying it rivals a move to one of the big 2, but wouldn't you love to recruit the state of CA if you are WA and OR and USC/UCLA are gone? Sure, the big ten would be attractive to a lot of those kids, but a lot of them would also love to go to WA and OR and play games in the area still.

Same thing with the state of Texas. In some ways, a pretty nice regional recruiting angle for CA and TX high school kids for the new Pac 12.

If the conference, with Phil Knight's help, could negotiate a new TV deal with that line-up, that might have a chance. And from a basketball standpoint, 3 of those 4 TX schools have been damn good lately.

Notre Dame is a total no-brainer to the B1G. The only thing that's been stopping that from happening since 1990 is Notre Dame. I'm not sure it matters a whole heck of a lot after the Domers who gets invited. Under the Delany Doctrine of B1G expansion, the conference is looking for an AAU school that commands a sizable market. That leaves you with North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Washington, Oregon, and maybe Stanford. Heck, I'd be willing to let Notre Dame choose any of those 3 to come along with them to the B1G.

Though if I were Warren and Notre Dame finally agreed to join, my next call would be to Texas, asking them if they are really, really sure that the SEC is the right home for them.

Notre Dame is a total no-brainer to the B1G. The only thing that's been stopping that from happening since 1990 is Notre Dame. I'm not sure it matters a whole heck of a lot after the Domers who gets invited. Under the Delany Doctrine of B1G expansion, the conference is looking for an AAU school that commands a sizable market. That leaves you with North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Washington, Oregon, and maybe Stanford. Heck, I'd be willing to let Notre Dame choose any of those 3 to come along with them to the B1G.

Though if I were Warren and Notre Dame finally agreed to join, my next call would be to Texas, asking them if they are really, really sure that the SEC is the right home for them.
I wonder what FL. State could bring to the BIG as far as media and fitting the bill. One would think the BIG would want to try to get into that market. It would also be going in a plucking a team from the SEC region. I realize Fl State is not in the SEC but it's down there in the region. Again, there would be a presence in the media market as well. Also wondering about Baylor or a Texas school for very same reason.

As far as a formidable team on the field or court, Fl. State has had some success in football and basketball in the past and seem to be a little more nationally recognized than some.

I wonder what FL. State could bring to the BIG as far as media and fitting the bill. One would think the BIG would want to try to get into that market. It would also be going in a plucking a team from the SEC region. I realize Fl State is not in the SEC but it's down there in the region. Again, there would be a presence in the media market as well. Also wondering about Baylor or a Texas school for very same reason.

As far as a formidable team on the field or court, Fl. State has had some success in football and basketball in the past and seem to be a little more nationally recognized than some.

Florida State football got very good because Bobby Bowden was a man who placed character and academic success of his student athletes at the forefront of everything he did. Jimbo was the same way. A few years back after the school got sued over some ball player who allegedly attacked someone a bunch of goodie two shoes dorks who looked like Bill Lumberg got together and were like "um, yeah Jimbo, if you could bring in guys who don't have more than one felony conviction and who can at least read at a sixth grade level that would be great." And Jimbo promptly cut the hell out and went to A&M.

Florida State is the precise reason you don't take a team just because they're good at the moment. So many teams have faded into oblivion and you don't want a turd. I'm sure the B1G number crunchers are salivating at the Florida TV market, but on the flipside they aren't turned on by FSU's academic standing. But on the flipside to that, there is a magazine called Playboy that publishes a "girls of the [Insert Conference Name Here]" every few years and if we have USC, UCLA and Florida State, the Big Ten will go from middle of the pack to head of the class. So that's another reason to consider Florida State.

Latest posts