No thread about Perkins?? Connor's treys??

uihawk82

He played great and we needed those points. Nebby was all over Keegan with double teams etc to get the ball out of his hand.

And I started that thread about not having guards drive it hard to the rim and Perkins had some nice slashing layups. Good to see.

And Connor has been on a hot shooting which could not come at a better time. Teams focusing on Keegan, Pat, and JBo and here a few others step up including Kris.

What to make of Perkins? I certainly had my reservations about him. He seems to be coming out of his shell and being much more productive. Just another weapon in the Hawkeye arsenal!

Perkins had the best game of his career. He has had a very good year but his offense was sorely lacking until last night. It was great to see and it seemed to lift a weight off of his shoulders. The challenge for him will be to get some consistency. I don't expect 15-20 points a night but if he could hit an occasional jump shot/3 pointer and continue to finish at the rim it would make us a much better team like it did against Nebraska.

He played great and we needed those points. Nebby was all over Keegan with double teams etc to get the ball out of his hand.

And I started that thread about not having guards drive it hard to the rim and Perkins had some nice slashing layups. Good to see.

And Connor has been on a hot shooting which could not come at a better time. Teams focusing on Keegan, Pat, and JBo and here a few others step up including Kris.
Iowa is becoming dangerous because so many different guys are contributing game to game. We need to win 2 of next 3!

The scouting report on Conner is let him shoot. Teams have been daring him to shoot for 2+ years. It makes a world of difference when he can make 2,3,4 of those shots teams are daring him to take.

As for Perk, work on the jumper in the off season. The rest of the year he needs to play the way he did last night. Being aggressive on both ends, attacking the rim, making the easy floaters, getting garbage buckets in transition, etc.

The scouting report on Conner is let him shoot. Teams have been daring him to shoot for 2+ years. It makes a world of difference when he can make 2,3,4 of those shots teams are daring him to take.

As for Perk, work on the jumper in the off season. The rest of the year he needs to play the way he did last night. Being aggressive on both ends, attacking the rim, making the easy floaters, getting garbage buckets in transition, etc.
Agreed. If he can develop/utilize the head fake, he'd get the line more consistently vs. being blocked... Makes one feel better about the # 2 spot going forward...

I've noticed they are starting to guard Connor more.

Connor has made 11 out of his last 17 three point attempts.

Perkins was HUGE last night, Iowa probably loses that game if he doesn't step up.
This right here. Perkins stepped up and just made plays. Credit NE for the D they put up on us at times. They made it tough for Keegan for stretches. But man Perkins and CM hitting the shots they did was the difference in what ended up a 10 pt game. They had to overcome some really sloppy play. TOs and shot selection that first half wasn't good at all. (Yet somehow still lead by 1)

Yes I know NE sucks but I do think it says something that with them giving it everything they had with a full house that on a night Iowa plays like crap that we can still get out of there winning. What'd we have 5 or 6 guys in double figures? Just a team win and Fran gets the credit for that to me.

My 3 takeaways from that game:

1) For a team that is near the top of the country in offensive turnovers, we pass the ball incredibly well, especially last night. You would expect that some of the tough passes would be risk/reward, and some turnovers would be fine if it's something we gain from ~75% of the time. It's not that we don't make the risky passes, we're just that good at it.

2) Kris has an even quicker and more explosive first step than Keegan. A couple of his takes last night made me shake my head in amazement.

3) I laughed every time that Nebraska would set a ball screen and Iowa switched...with Keegan and Kris. The reason I say this is to point out (what we all know) that they are such versatile defenders. Takes away a lot of what a team would like to do when you have 2 guys that can guard 1-5 AND you can always have at least 1 of them on the floor.

I like Perkins a lot. Most athletic guy on the team, IMO. I think he has the tools to be an all B1G caliber player if he becomes consistent
He is athletic, can jump out of the gym, and is 6'4. With jbo starting at 6'1, we need his size to match up with opponents bigger guards and......rebound. JT is best on ball defender, and Ulis is best of the 3 in going to the rim. Perkins is more of a scorer, and it's starting to show.

He is athletic, can jump out of the gym, and is 6'4. With jbo starting at 6'1, we need his size to match up with opponents bigger guards and......rebound. JT is best on ball defender, and Ulis is best of the 3 in going to the rim. Perkins is more of a scorer, and it's starting to show.
Disagree, JBo is a better on ball defender than JT. JT can’t seem to stay in front of his player, is always playing catch-up on his man and plays beside him or from behind. JT tries for to many steals and reach-Ins and that allows his man to blow by him. in comparison, JBo anticipates where the driver is going and gets into position. Both get shot over by taller shooters so that’s a wash. JT is playing himself into less minutes

I had become disappointed in Perkins. Early in the season I commented on a thread that discussed who we thought would be “the guy” to emerge out of the youngsters among the guards.

I picked Perkins because of his size and build. I commented then that he seemed to have the size and athleticism that reminded me of the old style Michigan State guards that became all Conference type guards. So was very disappointed up until this last game. This last game was what I had envisioned of him.

Maybe this will springboard him into what I had hoped for. We shall see what happens moving forward from this point.

What to make of Perkins? I certainly had my reservations about him. He seems to be coming out of his shell and being much more productive. Just another weapon in the Hawkeye arsenal!

Well, there's obviously a reason he's worked himself into the starting line-up. The coaches must have seen consistency in practice. But, in Fran's system with the number he plays, it doesn't really matter who really starts for a few players on the roster. Some get more minutes depending on need/matchups and if they are playing hot or not.