Padilla is not transfering

Let me ask you this, during most of then game when Iowa is on offense and they call a pass play on first down, are they going to run or pass on 2nd down and what is the percentage of time? My answer is 85% run, and a basic run at that, to try to get to 3rd down and 5 or 6 yards to go. More than half the times the hawks do not pick up a first down on 3rd and medium and they punt anyway. So my point is why not pass on 2nd and 10 a lot more so the defense doesnt know what is coming.

Kirk wants execution so execute on 2nd and 10 pass plays to get 8 to 12 yards and keep the defense off balance.
It was 92% this year after a 1st down pass we ran on second down 92% of the time. I dont remember the 8% but thats the numbers.

It was 92% this year after a 1st down pass we ran on second down 92% of the time. I dont remember the 8% but thats the numbers.

Wow, not sure how or where you got that number but really my guess was about 80% of the time so your 92% is not that higher than my guess.

Anyway, that is way too skewed to running the ball in that situation. It gives defenses the ability to load up against our called running plays. I think a 60%-40% run-pass spread would be so much better at keeping the defense guessing.

And what is the worst that can happen if you pass a lot more on 2nd down, well the pass is incomplete and you have 3rd and 10. If that 3rd down pass doesnt get the first down or very close to it you punt.

If you run on 2nd down after an incomplete pass like we predominantly do and then you gain 3-5 yards and then on 3rd down you run or pass and do not pick it up like we do about 60% of the time in our 3rd down conversion percentage, well then you punt.

That 2nd down run the ball pattern is way skewed.

The QB thing is actually moot. The whole offensive scheme is what's causing the majority of the problems.

When people like us can point out dozens of points of predictability with play calling, imagine what guys like Mark Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, and Paul Chryst can do.

The only fix to this thing is to get Brian out, and my hope is that some big time donors will mutiny against KF and pressure Brian to move on to a lateral career move. The problem is he gets paid too much to take a different job and still make it look like he's advancing his career by leaving.

I'll say it again...

Get Brian a HC job at a G5 school or a position coach in the NFL again. Install LeVar Woods at OC for the duration of Farence's remaining tenure, and promote him to HC. If that does not happen, this program will tank within 5 years.

If LW isn't put on a track for the Iowa HC position, he will be coaching against us someday making millions and millions as a 10 win a year coach somewhere. Book it.

Coaches don't have to have previous OC experience like everyone thinks, either. I bet if you ask the Vikings if they'd like to have a time machine to go back and make a couple of their D-coordinators head caoches (guys by the name of Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin), they'd say yes. Let's not be the Vikings.

I'm liking the Woods to OC idea. I think both Bell and Woods should be being groomed to move up. Both have been proven recruiters, are young and relatable to younger crowd, both have NFL ties and experience....Woods has done really well with Special Teams...both former Hawks...

They now the overall (pro style, zone, ball/position control )framework KF wants, but have the chops to operate within it and be innovative....

If they have interest.... keep them and promote them. I believe this would be universally liked by Hawkeye fans.

I want the Woods/Bell to some combo of OC, position coach, future HC....conversation to get some legs...

Last edited:
I'm liking the Woods to OC idea. I think both Bell and Woods should be being groomed to move up. Both have been proven recruiters, are young and relatable to younger crowd, both have NFL ties and experience....Woods has done really well with Special Teams...both former Hawks...

They now the overall (pro style, zone, ball/position control )framework KF wants, but have the chops to operate within it and be innovative....

If they have interest.... keep them and promote them. I believe this would be universally liked by Hawkeye fans.

I want the Woods/Bell to some combo of OC, position coach, future HC....conversation to get some legs...
Yeah Woods has had an interesting tenure. I believe he was LB coach for awhile then shared LBs with Jim Reid before being moved to TEs & special teams for a few years. Now he's just special teams. The fact he didn't stay at Lbs (the position he played) tells me he is indeed being groomed to climb the ladder to some extent but for him to go to OC would be an interesting hire. Of course BF would have to leave first that domino probably isn't changing to begin with anytime soon. I would lean towards him replacing Parker maybe. But who knows when that'll be either he doesn't seem to be going anywhere for a long time either

Let me ask you this, during most of then game when Iowa is on offense and they call a pass play on first down, are they going to run or pass on 2nd down and what is the percentage of time? My answer is 85% run, and a basic run at that, to try to get to 3rd down and 5 or 6 yards to go. More than half the times the hawks do not pick up a first down on 3rd and medium and they punt anyway. So my point is why not pass on 2nd and 10 a lot more so the defense doesnt know what is coming.

Kirk wants execution so execute on 2nd and 10 pass plays to get 8 to 12 yards and keep the defense off balance.
You won't get much debate out of me that our play calling is suspect, no matter who the OC has been. Obviously KF's philosophy certainly constrains the play calling. I have no idea if Woods can call plays any better. Being a good position coach and a good coach in general does not necessarily mean you can call plays. Hell, Brian is a good position coach. If you really want to fix it from this direction, do what Nebbie did. Go find an established playcaller, bribe him, and make clear he will have 100% autonomy in personnel and play calling.

Because I don't see changes in coaching coming, I am focused on personnel. I would have looked at a portal QB and I would give Labas a legit shot to win this job. I am not expecting either of those things to happen, but one can hope.

If we had a healthy Drew Tate or CJ Beatherd, this team goes undefeated into the Michigan game. Note I am not asking for Joe Burrow. Just competent passing and a smidgen of playmaking ability with the feet. That's not asking too much.

You won't get much debate out of me that our play calling is suspect, no matter who the OC has been.

I have to say that the single blocker and naked waggle bootleg that Iowa runs a lot and some other teams use is so perfectly suited to a running qb to run the ball on occasion and suck up the defensive coverage to set up other options.

If KF had a little bit better runner at QB who could actually keep the ball on a zone read run or rpo, who could make big runs out of the waggle play action would give a substantial counter play action and misdirection to the offense.

When Petras ran that qb draw for a td in the first game or an early game this year he looked plenty decisive and fast enough. I think the coaches should have had him run the ball a little more on the zone read just to keep the defense from crashing down on the running back who got the ball 100% of the time.

You just cant run the same few plays 100% of the time.

I have felt this way for years, iowa could have Tom Brady or Michael Vick at QB and the look of the offense and the results would be the same. Nothing changes and people are tired of it. Number 100+ offense year in and out is boring frankly. I don’t blame the kids playing QB.

He could always come back as the 3rd/4th string QB at Iowa.

But seriously, I still don't understand why Padilla couldn't dress for the Music City Bowl, unless it's Padilla's decision not to.

He could always come back as the 3rd/4th string QB at Iowa.

But seriously, I still don't understand why Padilla couldn't dress for the Music City Bowl, unless it's Padilla's decision not to.
Why take the practice reps away from Labas and May and give them to someone not on the team?

No idea... I haven't heard but I could see their not being a whole heck of a lot...
Agreed. I was thinking that maybe he could play at an FCS school. Getting a Power 5 transfer QB would sound really good for a program at that level.

KF asked AP to stay around to start the bowl game before entering the portal and he declined.

He probably thought, "What's the upside?"

I see what you did there.

Once players announce their entering the portal, they usually don't stick around and work with the team, do they? Isn't it pretty standard the bridge is gone?

I think it's noble that KF invited Padilla to stick around, but I don't think that is very typical for this kind of situation.

I see what you did there.

Once players announce their entering the portal, they usually don't stick around and work with the team, do they? Isn't it pretty standard the bridge is gone?

I think it's noble that KF invited Padilla to stick around, but I don't think that is very typical for this kind of situation.
Portal'ing doesn't always mean a 100% transfer.

I'd be interested in the #/% of folks who announce, then stay put.

Portal'ing doesn't always mean a 100% transfer.

I'd be interested in the #/% of folks who announce, then stay put.
Even more interesting....how much playing time did they see the next year after basically saying "I don't want to play here any more".

Last edited:
Daviyon Nixon was in the portal at one point.

I've seen some portal guys play for the schools they're looking to leave here and there, but I think most guys pass on the bowl games and move on.