See Fran............The Importance Of Rebounding! Good Job The Last Two Games!

MelroseHawkins

The last two games has shown how important it is for a team to not give up extra possessions due to bad rebounding. Iowa bettered Indiana in rebounding and did it again vs Minnesota. Iowa got 40 rebounds to Minnesota's 31, but more importantly Iowa got 15 offensive rebounds. Iowa won the last two games and should continue to be pretty competitive in the BIG conference, IF THEY CONTINUE TO REBOUND WELL!!

The last two games has shown how important it is for a team to not give up extra possessions due to bad rebounding. Iowa bettered Indiana in rebounding and did it again vs Minnesota. Iowa got 40 rebounds to Minnesota's 31, but more importantly Iowa got 15 offensive rebounds. Iowa won the last two games and should continue to be pretty competitive in the BIG conference, IF THEY CONTINUE TO REBOUND WELL!!
I don't think it's a matter of the Hawks all of a sudden getting better at rebounding, I think it's a function of the opponents we've been playing. Iowa can get away with being undersized against the Marylands and Minnesotas of the world, but not against the meatier and better teams in the schedule. If they can do it against Purdue next week I'll have bought in.

I don't think it's a matter of the Hawks all of a sudden getting better at rebounding, I think it's a function of the opponents we've been playing. Iowa can get away with being undersized against the Marylands and Minnesotas of the world, but not against the meatier and better teams in the schedule. If they can do it against Purdue next week I'll have bought in.
Indiana is currently ranked #22 in rebounding in the nation, one better than #23 Mich St. I believe Indiana was even ranked higher prior to the Iowa game. When I started my previous thread blasting Fran for Iowa's poor rebounding I knew at the time going into the Indiana game it was said Indiana was one of the best rebounding teams in the nation.

Now, we are only 1/2 thru the season and still a lot of conference games left, so I'll put that into perspective.

I hope Rebraca is turning a corner. And that it was just a matter of him needing a few games to adjust to this league. We gotta have him down the stretch. Or we will struggle to finish. 500 in this league.

Again, I have a sneaky hunch that we could be a better tournament team than league team this year, even though that goes against three decades of history. Just have to win enough games to get there.

I hope Rebraca is turning a corner. And that it was just a matter of him needing a few games to adjust to this league. We gotta have him down the stretch. Or we will struggle to finish. 500 in this league.

Again, I have a sneaky hunch that we could be a better tournament team than league team this year, even though that goes against three decades of history. Just have to win enough games to get there.
Yeah that was his best game by far. He rebounded aggressively he hit some shots. That's what Fran was hoping for when he brought him in. Can he build off of it and keep it going? I have my doubts against some of the other good bigs in the league but we'll find out.

Good post, like your other one about the need for better rebounding. Have to have the ball to score and 2nd chance points are huge. Fran has had a few really strong rebounders but overall not a strength of this teams. Sometimes you have do have your guards/wings on defense get in the lane and help pull down the misses instead of leaking out for a tempo push up the floor.

Funny/or something that Fran's teams are usually high scoring, very good offensive teams but weaker on defense and rebounding while Kirk's teams are usually very good on defense and special teams and weaker on offense.

Good post, like your other one about the need for better rebounding. Have to have the ball to score and 2nd chance points are huge. Fran has had a few really strong rebounders but overall not a strength of this teams. Sometimes you have do have your guards/wings on defense get in the lane and help pull down the misses instead of leaking out for a tempo push up the floor.

Funny/or something that Fran's teams are usually high scoring, very good offensive teams but weaker on defense and rebounding while Kirk's teams are usually very good on defense and special teams and weaker on offense.

I did notice that Minny wasn't really crashing the boards at all. They literally sent pretty much the entire team back instantly on a shot. I suppose they knew Iowa like to look to get break outs. So, this is a double edged sword I guess. If Iowa didn't send anybody to break and crashed more to the boards, maybe teams would send more to rebound not worrying about that. The fact that Iowa is leaking a couple players out is keeping opponents from crashing. So, I guess it works both ways!

But, point is Minny lost the rebounding battle against Iowa and lost the game. Indiana as well. So, there is a consistent pattern in my eyes.