Dane Belton Declares for NFL Draft

Expected but still sucks, I do think he is the beneficiary of Parker's system. I don't know if he is fast enough for the pros. He was beat badly in several games. Plays the run well and decent in coverage. Good luck to him, hopefully Parker adds another player to the promised land. Love that Riley is coming back.

Kinda thought he might. He's more accomplished than what Geno Stone was and he just got his first INT yesterday for Balitmore. Belton will for sure get drafted

If I had to do the heavy lifting week in and week out to support a crappy offense, I'd probably bolt too.

Unless, there was some glimmer of hope for improvement in the near future, which there isn't.

If I had to do the heavy lifting week in and week out to support a crappy offense, I'd probably bolt too.

Unless, there was some glimmer of hope for improvement in the near future, which there isn't.
I don't think that's a part of his mindset... If anything doing well in that environment prepares them more for the NFL. But I get what you're sayin

I don't think that's a part of his mindset... If anything doing well in that environment prepares them more for the NFL. But I get what you're sayin
There’s only 6 safeties listed in the top 150 of the draft according to CBS. I don’t know how many total, but I’m sure his agent looks at that as being prime time to throw his name in. Very light draft year at that spot.

There’s only 6 safeties listed in the top 150 of the draft according to CBS. I don’t know how many total, but I’m sure his agent looks at that as being prime time to throw his name in. Very light draft year at that spot.
Would be cool to see some analysis on how players fair historically in drafts light at their position. One would expect players to go sooner than expected in an "average" class, but I wonder how much of a change it actually comes out to. Would give some interesting insight into how NFL GMs draft as well.

I'm not sure how Belton will test out but at 6'1 210ish he's got perfect size. His tape will show how versatile he is. Being coached up from Parker means something around the league. He won't slip through the cracks he'll get taken in top 4 rounds I bet

Would be cool to see some analysis on how players fair historically in drafts light at their position. One would expect players to go sooner than expected in an "average" class, but I wonder how much of a change it actually comes out to. Would give some interesting insight into how NFL GMs draft as well.
I'd also say that past success in Hawkeye players has some influence as well.

Micah Hyde, Geno Stone, Josey, the Neimann bros, Ojemudia...basically any guy coming out of Phil Parker's defensive backfield who's gotten a shot (except Josh Jackson) has done a serviceable job in the NFL.

Micah Hyde, Geno Stone, Josey, the Neimann bros, Ojemudia...basically any guy coming out of Phil Parker's defensive backfield who's gotten a shot (except Josh Jackson) has done a serviceable job in the NFL.
Especially at a position (DBs, generally) where teams need depth and are willing to move positional players around/want flexibly. Ojemudia, King, and Hyde are all names I heard a lot this year while watching random NFL games.

I know Leistikow suggested Moss move to cash, but I think that would be a mistake as he is far and away the best cover corner on the team. The cash isn't a slot CB (which I think requires more or of a man-to-man scheme and might be Moss' projected position in the NFL) but really just an OLB with the size and speed of a safety. So, this position is able to cover backs in the flat as well as tight ends in the middle of the field, but can also get depth in a hurry to take away deeper passes on third and long scenarios.

Castro has the most similarities to Belton and Hooker and would be my pick for cash, although Iowa might play more 4-3 next year anyway since Jacobs is pretty athletic for a traditional LB. Roberts or Harris can be the nickelback and first in line for CB snaps if a starter is hurt. Nwankpa has the center fielder type instincts and length that work better at safety than cash IMHO, so the battle to watch might be him vs Schulte.

Yeah Jackson not being able to really do much in the league surprises me. I figured he'd go to safety since he may not be fast/quick enough for corner. Last I heard he'd been with the Giants but that's been awhile ago I'm not sure now

Yeah Jackson not being able to really do much in the league surprises me. I figured he'd go to safety since he may not be fast/quick enough for corner. Last I heard he'd been with the Giants but that's been awhile ago I'm not sure now
The stuff I read back when he was first struggling at GB was that he couldn't grasp the schemes, was missing assignments, reads, etc. Wasn't really a physical thing so much as mental. Obviously the NFL game is way more complex and faster than college.

The stuff I read back when he was first struggling at GB was that he couldn't grasp the schemes, was missing assignments, reads, etc. Wasn't really a physical thing so much as mental. Obviously the NFL game is way more complex and faster than college.
Dang wouldn't have guessed that. He was smart to leave while the iron was hot. He's played out his rookie deal anyway.