Howe: Taking A Crack at Iowa's '22 Spring Two-Deep

I think you are missing the second CB (Roberts). Guessing DeJean will push him for PT but reality is almost every year Iowa plays up to four CBs, so the real battle is for the fourth spot.

Get ready for an Epenesa/Hesse redux with that position battle at FS. Will be interesting to see if X immediately gets a look at PR and KR too.

Any chance TJ Hall ends up at WR?

I think you are missing the second CB (Roberts). Guessing DeJean will push him for PT but reality is almost every year Iowa plays up to four CBs, so the real battle is for the fourth spot.

Get ready for an Epenesa/Hesse redux with that position battle at FS. Will be interesting to see if X immediately gets a look at PR and KR too.

Any chance TJ Hall ends up at WR?

Thanks. I will add.

I think when its all said and done, Leshon will be the #1 back
It'll for sure be back to RB by committee, but with a better group than 2018 & 2019. I think Johnson could be "the guy" by the end of the year just based on more house potential than the two Williams. Physically be looks built to contribute right away and RB seems to be a spot on offense where Iowa plays guys right away.

Generally speaking when Iowa has veteran players on both lines, at LB, safety, tight end, and WR they are pretty good. The latter really seems to have made an impact - think about 2009 vs 2006, 2015 vs 2014, and 2019 & 2020 vs 2017. The 2010-2011 stretch is the closest to breaking this pattern since that WR group was experienced.

On the other hand, QB, RB, and CB don't seem to be all that much better with time in Iowa's system.

I didn't realize how much they have coming back. Altho, I doubt Padilla sticks around for spring ball.

Sans Van Valkenberg, our D line returns virtually intact. And our top 4 LB/Cash if Campbell comes back.

We do have to replace three fourths of our secondary but the injuries to Moss and Hankins gave others a chance to step up.

On the other hand, QB, RB, and CB don't seem to be all that much better with time in Iowa's system.

I can agree with you on QB and RB not being super all american greatly staffed positions but the hawks have had really great cornerback play over the last 7 or 8 years. DKing, JJackson, Moss, Hankins, others.

There are a lot of familiar names on that list, players who have played a lot and made big plays, and they should be a little bigger, stronger, and better next year. I think the defensive line will be really good again. Lbkr will be great if no one leaves early. The back defensive 4 will be a little new at one spot but I think should work well.

What was not to like with the Williams Brothers as I read they call themselves. Straight ahead one cut runners and another highly thought of running back coming in. A lot of experience at OLine and they looked better in the bowl game.

If both TEnds come back that will be awesome. Wide receiver position is average and KJohnson is not a guy to carry a load unless we have another really good one on the other side.

But all in all the QB position needs to improve at least 20% overall in pass completions, keeping plays alive, better reads, I have no idea how much they can audible and if they are doing a good job of that but improvement would be good, and finally to be better running the ball if need be.

I can agree with you on QB and RB not being super all american greatly staffed positions but the hawks have had really great cornerback play over the last 7 or 8 years. DKing, JJackson, Moss, Hankins, others.
Sorry, my wording was a little confusing. Iowa has been phenomenal at CB, but most of their stars were contributors from Day 1. I undersold Parker's work at developing this position. But it's not like the line where players generally don't even see the field and certainly don't meaningfully contribute until about their third year on campus. Many true freshman have played and played well at CB for Iowa, and a few (Rugamba, Brents) seemed to actually play better in year 1 than later in their careers.

Sorry, my wording was a little confusing. Iowa has been phenomenal at CB, but most of their stars were contributors from Day 1. I undersold Parker's work at developing this position. But it's not like the line where players generally don't even see the field and certainly don't meaningfully contribute until about their third year on campus. Many true freshman have played and played well at CB for Iowa, and a few (Rugamba, Brents) seemed to actually play better in year 1 than later in their careers.
Many of the players who end up on each Line are just not heavy and strong enough as frosh, some get to it by their soph year. iirc both Drew Ott and Parker Hesse were forced to play as true freshman at 240 lbs or so but they were at DEnd. I cant remember who got hurt so that Ott had to play but then ironic that Ott got hurt and Hesse came in and played very well for 4 years.

So Charlie Jones isn't coming back?
Rob Howe said he is basing some of his player omissions from the list based on Rob's feeling if they are gone or not. I havent heard anything about Charley Jones yet but it would be great to have him back. Just a very athletic player with moves and he can make a lot of big exciting plays.

Rob Howe said he is basing some of his player omissions from the list based on Rob's feeling if they are gone or not. I havent heard anything about Charley Jones yet but it would be great to have him back. Just a very athletic player with moves and he can make a lot of big exciting plays.

Thanks for reading ;)