Potential

BigD

Even though we lost tonight I see a lot of potential in this team to be explosive. Hit our usual free throws and we would have won this game going away.

Also Illinois was extremely fortunate with all the long rebounds going their way.

These boys are going to get better.
Unfortunately there are a couple of weak spots on this team. That will change at the end of the season. One player who has always been a liability on the defensive end of the court and the other player is a liability on the offensive side of the court as his offense is absent especially given the amount of years and experience he has.

I expect next year to be one of the quickest and best defensive teams Fran has ever had. If these young players can develop offensively look out.

Try to relax and enjoy watching the team improve. They are fighters and I like that too.

Even though we lost tonight I see a lot of potential in this team to be explosive. Hit our usual free throws and we would have won this game going away.

Also Illinois was extremely fortunate with all the long rebounds going their way.

Unfortunately there are a couple of weak spots on this team. That will change at the end of the season. One player who has always been a liability on the defensive end of the court and the other player is a liability on the offensive side of the court as his offense is absent especially given the amount of years and experience he has.

I expect next year to be one of the quickest and best defensive teams Fran has ever had. If these young players can develop offensively look out.

Try to relax and enjoy watching the team improve. They are fighters and I like that too.
I agree. This is a team with potential and looks like there is enough pieces there (and heart) to squeak in to the Big Dance.....provided they stay healthy and no seemingly annual Franuary collapse.

I remember one year Christian Williams and Dom Uhl started at the beginning of the year and ended up being end of the bench players. There is a place on this team for Bohannon to get 12-15 minutes. But I'm really questioning Connor. It's not even his fault as much as it is Perkins, Ulis, Kris, and Sandford all looking like they are big upgrades over him.

I almost wish Keegan only got a little better this year, then came back next year and played like he is now. Imagine this team with one more year experience, 2 great recruits coming in, and opening up some available minutes with graduations. With what Purdue, Illinois and Michigan will likely lose, we would probably be the best team in the conference next year.

I almost wish Keegan only got a little better this year, then came back next year and played like he is now. Imagine this team with one more year experience, 2 great recruits coming in, and opening up some available minutes with graduations. With what Purdue, Illinois and Michigan will likely lose, we would probably be the best team in the conference next year.
Wow I missed the 2 Great recruits coming in. Did we get a couple of top 50 type players? Best team in the conference next year? Like your optimism but this is a second division team this year and next

You made some good points. I cannot agree with the idea that JB and a Mac are two weak spots. We have been through the Jabo can’t play D routine numerous times. You need to watch him. As to Cmac. He is not a starter so his critics should quiet down. Coaches use him in places where they can take advantage of his skills. They do just fine with their choices. Jabo is playing limited minutes. So, what are our weaknesses? Rebounding, interior D, inconsistent free throw %, and shooting lapses.
BTW, this team will get better and make a lot of noise in the BT. This team has two or three point guards who drive teams crazy. Our ability to shoot inside and outside, convert offensive rebounds, press successfully, force turnovers, get steals, rattle other teams and flat out great effort will be a great show! This team is really, really athletic. Enjoy!

Wow I missed the 2 Great recruits coming in. Did we get a couple of top 50 type players? Best team in the conference next year? Like your optimism but this is a second division team this year and next
Ha Ha Ha. You are joking, right?

I agree on the potential of this team and am excited to see this season unfold. One can bemoan this loss, but at the same time the Hawks were in it to the end, DESPITE being out-rebounded by THIRTY, hitting 40% from the line and Keagan not so sharp for much of the game.

It's EARLY and they will take some more lumps but these lads are only going to get better and better as the season progresses. Fun to see the other teams having turnover problems because of the Hawkeye D for a change. They will be dancing.

I said if Keegan were to come back, which is highly unlikely.

Honestly to me it looks like 4 out of 5 of our starters should come off the bench.
Perkins & Ulis played more minutes than the starting backcourt. But I think there is a definite advantage to starting Perkins & bringing JBo off the bench. Perkins would contain the opposing team’s 2.

I think the issue Fran has is that his bench is such a higher quality than other teams. I like the idea of putting Perkins in for JBo because he has shown the ability to drive and hit threes along with being a strong defensive player. But I also think he plays well with Ulis and I don’t see Ahron over taking Joe T at this point.

The potential is definitely there for this team. Really need to figure out what our post player rotation is and get the ball into Keegan’s hand early. I think the team feeds off his aggressiveness and he has shown he can take a game over.

Perkins & Ulis played more minutes than the starting backcourt. But I think there is a definite advantage to starting Perkins & bringing JBo off the bench. Perkins would contain the opposing team’s 2.
Perkins plays so hard he needs to get some breathers. It's tough to give him the minutes he needs without starting him. I also think Kris should start over Patrick or Flip. Preferably Flip so we we can start games with a nasty press.

Honestly to me it looks like 4 out of 5 of our starters should come off the bench.
As I watched that I just about thought that too. If I'm coach for the next game here's my lineup.

Ulis
Perkins
Murray
Murray
? Rebraca I guess but why the hell didn't Josh O not play more?? He only played 2 mins wtf

I think Kris is ahead of where Keegan was at this time last year. We just need him to take over Keegan’s role next season. But I really like this team a lot.
He needs to take over PMs place now.... I would like the Murrays to start and play together. They have a lifetime of chemistry of having done so. Kris would be more confident out there I think if he was starting and playing more with him. PMs shot selection leaves a lot to be desired out there. And if he's not rebounding/defending (which not many guys were yesterday) then he's not valuable enough to be starting over Kris. PM was out of position way too much on D too I thought which lead to being out of position for rebounds.

As I watched that I just about thought that too. If I'm coach for the next game here's my lineup.

Ulis
Perkins
Murray
Murray
? Rebraca I guess but why the hell didn't Josh O not play more?? He only played 2 mins wtf
That was a head scratcher for me as well, we needed rebounding. He is capable of playing one on one with
Cockburn, which would have helped us on the boards. Sometimes Fran is like Kirk and slow plays guys that are ready.