CFP Opinions

ajdwhs87

I don't like the manipulation that much. Ranking teams so they get matchups instead of more true rankings. Cincy deserved to be better than 4 but they don't want the SEC rematch. Don't like it. Their reward for going undefeated is an AL and GA gauntlet.

Also, we are getting the damn rematch anyway. Let GA/Bama play again this week. People talk as if they don't like the rematches but think that is bull. My view is that a f*cking SEC rematch is not that desirable then it is even more so in the championship game. Lucky this won't be the third time they play this year. I'd rather a guaranteed Cincy/Mich. winner in the big game myself. Let the two SEC teams beat each other up again which could help a bit for Mich. or Cincy instead of the SEC teams getting the easier road to each other.

Some might say GA/AL would be a better game and closer but Michigan seems as good as GA and the first game wasn't a barn burner.

I for one will be rooting for Georgia to run up the score on Michigan and if not then Alabama. Anyone but Michigan. I say this because of the way Michigan handled the end of the Iowa game. Our job to stop it, but throwing trick plays when the game was already in hand? Really?

Last edited:
I for one will be rooting for Georgia to run up the score on Michigan and if not them Alabama. Anyone but Michigan. I say this because of the way Michigan handled the end of the Iowa game. Our job to stop it, but throwing trick plays when the game was already in hand? Really?
Well, yes, nothing good should happen to Michigan.

I for one will be rooting for Georgia to run up the score on Michigan and if not then Alabama. Anyone but Michigan. I say this because of the way Michigan handled the end of the Iowa game. Our job to stop it, but throwing trick plays when the game was already in hand? Really?
I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. Jimmy was adding style points to get the #1 CFP ranking. This obviously didn't yield the intended outcome considering they still finished at #2. They also wanted to score 42 points to honor the shooting victims they wore the #42 patch for. I agree that it may be bad sportsmanship, but in the big picture it doesn't matter.

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. Jimmy was adding style points to get the #1 CFP ranking. This obviously didn't yield the intended outcome considering they still finished at #2. They also wanted to score 42 points to honor the shooting victims they wore the #42 patch for. I agree that it may be bad sportsmanship, but in the big picture it doesn't matter.
I was aware of those two things. Only thing I found questionable was throwing trick plays instead of running their conventional offense.

I was aware of those two things. Only thing I found questionable was throwing trick plays instead of running their conventional offense.
Technically Iowa ran a fake punt during the Ohio State game in 2017.

In any event, hopefully it motivates the Iowa team during bull prep and the off-season. Michigan will come to Kinnick next year with a far less veteran team (still talented of course, but particularly up front they will be pretty junior).

Incidentally anyone take a look at that four-game stretch? @MN, MI, @Purdue, @OSU. 2-2 would be overachieving.

Technically Iowa ran a fake punt during the Ohio State game in 2017.

In any event, hopefully it motivates the Iowa team during bull prep and the off-season. Michigan will come to Kinnick next year with a far less veteran team (still talented of course, but particularly up front they will be pretty junior).

Incidentally anyone take a look at that four-game stretch? @MN, MI, @Purdue, @OSU. 2-2 would be overachieving.
True points....but those bastard buckeyes had it coming. ;)

I don't like the manipulation that much. Ranking teams so they get matchups instead of more true rankings. Cincy deserved to be better than 4 but they don't want the SEC rematch. Don't like it. Their reward for going undefeated is an AL and GA gauntlet.

Also, we are getting the damn rematch anyway. Let GA/Bama play again this week. People talk as if they don't like the rematches but think that is bull. My view is that a f*cking SEC rematch is not that desirable then it is even more so in the championship game. Lucky this won't be the third time they play this year. I'd rather a guaranteed Cincy/Mich. winner in the big game myself. Let the two SEC teams beat each other up again which could help a bit for Mich. or Cincy instead of the SEC teams getting the easier road to each other.

Some might say GA/AL would be a better game and closer but Michigan seems as good as GA and the first game wasn't a barn burner.
Cinn. has a seat at the table, damm that's all a team like them can ask for. I'm surprised they didn't get screwed out of that. I got a small bet I placed on Cinn. a month ago to win it all. Like a 100 to 1 shot. Wish I had bet more.

No way should both 'bama and UGA be in. Especially with a committee, no conference should have 2 teams in a 4-team playoff.

SCum was piling it on to impress the CFP committee.
Well, TFB...it didn't work did it?

I’ll root for Michigan. I was pissed at the time they were running up the score but I get the reasonings behind it and Iowa could have stopped them.

I can’t stand the $EC, I know it will never happen but I’d love to see a Michigan vs Cincinnati championship game.

False. It should be allowed in scenarios where the two teams did not meet during the season or in the title game like the SEC in 2017 when Bama and UGA both made it but had not played.
I just don't care. The four best teams are in. That isn't always the case, but this year I am fine with it. Bama making it in without even playing in the conference championship that one year was stupid, but the only other team I can see a reasonable argument being made for this year got dicked on the one time they made it to the playoff and didn't play Saturday. Georgia is better than the first ten teams out, and it isn't even close. Until Notre Dame has to play that thirteenth game I don't think they should get a bid, ever. If Notre Dame actually had to play in the ACC Championship in 2019 they would've gotten destroyed by Clemson a month earlier and we might have gotten a completive playoff game as a result.

So what team do you guys think should be in over Georgia? Notre Dame? I disagree, but fine. Baylor? Enjoy your 60-3 whooping.

Edit: Okay, let's not kid ourselves: The best four teams are not in. Cincy isn't a better team than Ohio State, but they won their games. The four most qualified teams are in. The only other 11 win teams you get to choose from are Louisiana and Baylor/Oklahoma State. I'll take the three 12 win teams we have plus the undefeated Go5 team over any of those three alternatives. 10 wins doesn't (Read--shouldn't) get you in unless your losses are incredibly "quality" or the other options stink. The four most qualified teams are in. I'll stick to that one. Notre Dame can be considered when they have the same skin in the game as every other team that has to put an 11 or 12 win season on the line in a conference championship game.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. Cincinnati is a G5 schools and had the 82nd hardest SOS according to Sagarin, and other sites ranked it even easier than 82nd.

Here's their schedule, which includes a grand total of one team with a pulse...

Miami (OH)
Murray State
Indiana
Notre Dame
Temple
UCF
Navy
Tulane
Tulsa
South Florida
SMU
East Carolina
Houston

Other SOS of note...

Alabama - 7th
Georgia - 35th
Michigan - 31st
Notre Dame - 41st
Oklahoma State - 13th
Ohio State - 21st
Iowa - 22nd

You have to go all the way to Appalachian State in 41st place in the Sagarin rankings to find a team with an easier strength of schedule. Until Cincinnati has to play real football teams in P5, they shouldn't be in the playoffs.

I just don't care. The four best teams are in. That isn't always the case, but this year I am fine with it. Bama making it in without even playing in the conference championship that one year was stupid, but the only other team I can see a reasonable argument being made for this year got dicked on the one time they made it to the playoff and didn't play Saturday. Georgia is better than the first ten teams out, and it isn't even close. Until Notre Dame has to play that thirteenth game I don't think they should get a bid, ever. If Notre Dame actually had to play in the ACC Championship in 2019 they would've gotten destroyed by Clemson a month earlier and we might have gotten a completive playoff game as a result.

So what team do you guys think should be in over Georgia? Notre Dame? I disagree, but fine. Baylor? Enjoy your 60-3 whooping.

Edit: Okay, let's not kid ourselves: The best four teams are not in. Cincy isn't a better team than Ohio State, but they won their games. The four most qualified teams are in. The only other 11 win teams you get to choose from are Louisiana and Baylor/Oklahoma State. I'll take the three 12 win teams we have plus the undefeated Go5 team over any of those three alternatives. 10 wins doesn't (Read--shouldn't) get you in unless your losses are incredibly "quality" or the other options stink. The four most qualified teams are in. I'll stick to that one. Notre Dame can be considered when they have the same skin in the game as every other team that has to put an 11 or 12 win season on the line in a conference championship game.
To me it makes no sense for Alabama to have to beat Georgia twice to win the NC. I agree with you that Notre Dame should have to join a conference in order to get in but let's just make these championship games be the quarter finals? The power 5 is soon going to be the power 4 with the Big 12 dropping out and if you want to add an extra team for the rest of the conferences I'd be fine with that, then you'd have 1 extra game with the 4 seed playing the 5 seed.

So for this year my CFP would look like this:
(4) Cincinnati vs Utah (5)

4 vs 5 winner vs Alabama (1)
Notre Dame* (3) vs Michigan (2)

All games are at bowl sites

*I am assuming Notre Dame joins the ACC in this arrangement. Otherwise insert Pitt as the 5 seed and Utah bumps up to the 3 seed. You make NO special arrangement for Notre Dame, either they join a conference or they are left out.

To me it makes no sense for Alabama to have to beat Georgia twice to win the NC. I agree with you that Notre Dame should have to join a conference in order to get in but let's just make these championship games be the quarter finals? The power 5 is soon going to be the power 4 with the Big 12 dropping out and if you want to add an extra team for the rest of the conferences I'd be fine with that, then you'd have 1 extra game with the 4 seed playing the 5 seed.

So for this year my CFP would look like this:
(4) Cincinnati vs Utah (5)

4 vs 5 winner vs Alabama (1)
Notre Dame* (3) vs Michigan (2)

All games are at bowl sites

*I am assuming Notre Dame joins the ACC in this arrangement. Otherwise insert Pitt as the 5 seed and Utah bumps up to the 3 seed. You make NO special arrangement for Notre Dame, either they join a conference or they are left out.
I agree, a rematch is boring as hell, especially when those two teams just played, and it's even dumber when the number one priority in seeding teams is avoiding that mismatch, but ultimately I blame the other 63 Power Five football programs for not being able to put together three teams not named Alabama or Georgia to compete in the playoffs. It's not Kirby Smart's fault that Georgia plays in the same conference as Bama. Put them in any of the other four conference and they're 13-0 with a point differential of 250. Maybe they drop a game in the Big Ten. They run the table with ease in the other three. Either way they are in the playoff and nobody is complaining. The other way to alleviate this problem is expansion. But even then, we just get to see blowouts. We get blowouts with some regularity now, with only four playoff teams. The next ten out are other than Ohio State are nowhere close to the top 3. Frankly I think we are going have to see some sort of salary cap-like solution if we want anything approaching parity in this sport going forward.

Cinn. has a seat at the table, damm that's all a team like them can ask for. I'm surprised they didn't get screwed out of that. I got a small bet I placed on Cinn. a month ago to win it all. Like a 100 to 1 shot. Wish I had bet more.
You're gonna be happy you didn't. Cincy is 7-5 in Big Ten West play. My local D3 team went undefeated as well- Do they deserve a shot at a National Championship?