This likely does not change the outcome, but the no call on the targeting of Petras

HaydenHawk56

That head-scratching no call kept us from getting a 1st down in Michigan territory. And I think Petras got hurt on that play. Ferentz in his presser said that play did not hurt him, but I'm not completely sure about that. And, it turns out, Petras was pulled for injury....not because he was benched.

Padilla had one good drive when he came in....but drive stalled in the red-zone on 4th down with no points. With Michigan adjustments to his bootleg (and zero adjustments by Iowa offense to help him out) he became a deer in the headlights.

Petras was not exactly lighting it up, but he was more effective it getting the ball down field.....but far to many times 10 feet out of bounds on the sidelines.

It won't happen, but it would be nice if Iowa hit the portal for a more talented QB....and an OC that knows how to use him effectively.

Nothing will change the outcome, but there seemed to be many plays where Iowa WR were getting mugged and nothing was called.

It would also help if the Iowa FB would not trip over his own feet on Halfback option trick play.

And it would help if Iowa offense would get at least some points when starting at midfield.

But in the end Iowa still loses.

That head-scratching no call kept us from getting a 1st down in Michigan territory. And I think Petras got hurt on that play. Ferentz in his presser said that play did not hurt him, but I'm not completely sure about that. And, it turns out, Petras was pulled for injury....not because he was benched.

Padilla had one good drive when he came in....but drive stalled in the red-zone on 4th down with no points. With Michigan adjustments to his bootleg (and zero adjustments by Iowa offense to help him out) he became a deer in the headlights.

Petras was not exactly lighting it up, but he was more effective it getting the ball down field.....but far to many times 10 feet out of bounds on the sidelines.

It won't happen, but it would be nice if Iowa hit the portal for a more talented QB....and an OC that knows how to use him effectively.
Agreed, if that hit on Petras was not targeting, I don't know what is. It met the criteria of lowering your helmet and and using the crown of your helmet to deliver a blow to the head of an opposing player -- and the obvious snap-back of Petras' head proved it. Horrible call.

I agree that was a terrible no-call. I could tell by KF's words on the radio with Gary and Ed he was also very disappointed about it. Kirk did make it a point to say that Petras wasn't hurt as a result of that hit. He sustained an injury to his abdomen/torso on a different play in the 1st quarter. Laporta also said something similar about it. I have no reason to believe that Petras's performance led to Padilla going in. I thought Petras was actually doing quite well given the circumstances. A lot of people are criticizing the OL, but they only allowed one sack against a DL with a Heisman candidate and another NFL prospect.

I agree that was a terrible no-call. I could tell by KF's words on the radio with Gary and Ed he was also very disappointed about it. Kirk did make it a point to say that Petras wasn't hurt as a result of that hit. He sustained an injury to his abdomen/torso on a different play in the 1st quarter. Laporta also said something similar about it. I have no reason to believe that Petras's performance led to Padilla going in. I thought Petras was actually doing quite well given the circumstances. A lot of people are criticizing the OL, but they only allowed one sack against a DL with a Heisman candidate and another NFL prospect.
I agree that Petras was not playing that bad...although in the game thread, the last time he was in at QB and Iowa punted, I posted the question is it time for Padilla. I didn't think Petras was giving his receivers a chance to make plays when throwing the ball out of bounds where it was not catchable. Then again, if that was the play call, then who knows and he was only following orders.

In retrospect, and after thinking more about this.....you are right....Iowa did not give up a ton of sacks in this game (just one). It did seem the QBs were getting rid of the ball quickly as a strategy against their pressure. The problem is the passing routs were not effective. I wish they would have used the middle of the field more on intermediate routs with our tight ends as it was working when we went to it. Or throwing to Goodson on a slant in space?

And, why only one trick play in this game for Iowa? Why did we not throw the screen pass more?

More Ferentz headscratching offensive decisions.

Brian Ferentz has really only coached one championships level scheming on offense (against top shelf opponents)....Ohio St game. Maybe the USC game?

The defense and one good offensive play call led us to the victory against Penn St this year.

It is just baffling how a perfect game like that could be called against a very good Ohio St team (who won the Big Ten that year) and hover over 180 degrees the other direction on offensive playcalling in most other games.

It is just baffling how a perfect game like that could be called against a very good Ohio St team (who won the Big Ten that year) and hover over 180 degrees the other direction on offensive playcalling in most other games.
Remember the hubris of Urban and OSU not blitzing Iowa at all in that game and not even packing the box. And then Bosa got tossed. OSU coaches thought they could walk into kinnick and easily win. When you didnt pressure those Stanley-Wadley teams they could move the ball with two great TEnds, etc.

Almost every other team blitzes and packs the box on Iowa.

To be fair, there were half a dozen good drives. The offense was productive, except for where it counts: scoring points. They didn’t execute in the red zone. In the immortal words of Kirk Ferentz: that’s football.

As an aside, Kirk seemed to hate every second of that game, at least every time they showed him. Might be nothing, but he sure as hell didn’t look like he was having fun, even before Michigan’s first TD.

Podolak went to talk with some people around the press box at halftime to get info on this targeting call. IIRC Eddie said he heard from reputable sources with the TV people that the replay went to the studio officials and they could only give their opinion, but not make the call stand, that it was targeting. But either that message did not get to the refs in the stadium or they decided to not call it targeting.

It was a total bullshit non-call based on other calls I have seen and the way the rules are written.

Whether it would have made a difference, probably not, but for nearly 3 qtrs it was still a close enough game. But the hawks were their own worst enemy only getting 3 points in 3 good drives inside the redzone. And getting nothing on 3 straight possessions starting near midfield in the 2nd qtr.

The hawks need to find a way to gash teams in the running game and run downhill the whole game, wear the other team out, run some great play action and get TEnds and receivers running free up the field to win some of these top games.

Brian Ferentz has really only coached one championships level scheming on offense (against top shelf opponents)....Ohio St game. Maybe the USC game?

The defense and one good offensive play call led us to the victory against Penn St this year.

From week to week for that matter

Remember the hubris of Urban and OSU not blitzing Iowa at all in that game and not even packing the box. And then Bosa got tossed. OSU coaches thought they could walk into kinnick and easily win. When you didnt pressure those Stanley-Wadley teams they could move the ball with two great TEnds, etc.

Almost every other team blitzes and packs the box on Iowa.
Good points....Urban also had a horrible game plan.

Latest posts