Omicron Covid

First of all, I want to correct some misinformation in the above posts. It was stated in two posts above that polio was "much more dangerous" and "was extremely deadly" compared to Covid-19. No. Polio results from a VIRUS, folks. 72% of people exposed to the polio virus experience no symptoms. 25% experience mild, flu-like symptoms. 1-5% experience brain & systemic complications. Sound familiar, anyone? (No. No that last 1-5% does not sound familiar) Oh, but at the peak of the polio epidemic, the US had 3,000 deaths in one year. We're now over 700,000 deaths in the US in 2 years. So please stop spreading misinformation.
Secondly, the idea that we all live in a bubble and can avoid C-19 by just "avoiding people" is not an option for folks who work for a living.
Thirdly, if I seem to have strong feelings on this topic it's because my wife and one of my sons work in the health profession. My son is a Dr. in Colorado and when I talked with him last night he says their hospital is once again filling up, primarily with "45-60 year old men who are unvaccinated." I hope they survive. I hope others like them get vaccinated for their own health, the health of our country, and so my family members from repeatedly being exposed to a deadly virus. If you don't think people are dying from C-19, I can give you my son's phone #.
I don't know about you, but I'll take the mild flu like symptoms to losing motor function in my legs, or worse. You show us the children dropping dead or being permanently crippled and you may find someone who takes this line of reasoning seriously.

First of all, I want to correct some misinformation in the above posts. It was stated in two posts above that polio was "much more dangerous" and "was extremely deadly" compared to Covid-19. No. Polio results from a VIRUS, folks. 72% of people exposed to the polio virus experience no symptoms. 25% experience mild, flu-like symptoms. 1-5% experience brain & systemic complications. Sound familiar, anyone? Oh, but at the peak of the polio epidemic, the US had 3,000 deaths in one year. We're now over 700,000 deaths in the US in 2 years. So please stop spreading misinformation.
Secondly, the idea that we all live in a bubble and can avoid C-19 by just "avoiding people" is not an option for folks who work for a living.
Thirdly, if I seem to have strong feelings on this topic it's because my wife and one of my sons work in the health profession. My son is a Dr. in Colorado and when I talked with him last night he says their hospital is once again filling up, primarily with "45-60 year old men who are unvaccinated." I hope they survive. I hope others like them get vaccinated for their own health, the health of our country, and so my family members from repeatedly being exposed to a deadly virus. If you don't think people are dying from C-19, I can give you my son's phone #.
Ok, I get to infect you with either polio, or covid…your choice. Which one?

Second, if your son's hospital is full of people very sick with covid that’s on them for not being vaccinated. If they are vaccinated they did everything they could. The flu also kills many people every year who got vaccinated and most of them are in that age range you mentioned.

I don't know about you, but I'll take the mild flu like symptoms to losing motor function in my legs, or worse. You show us the children dropping dead or being permanently crippled and you may find someone who takes this line of reasoning seriously.
I’m not an anti-vaxxer in any way whatsoever but some of these people just don’t think critically and rationally.

Good friend of mine had polio when we were both in single digits as children. I was spared, but Gene spent time in an iron lung. He recovered and we played HS football together! My parents were a basket case. I was too young to be scared, thankfully. As an old guy, I grabbed on to Covid vaccine early, and got the booster asap. I will be happy to get boosters annually or more frequently if the science recommends it. Dr. Fauci and Dr. Sanjay Gupta are my go to experts. Do what you want, but stay the hell away from me and my family if you are not vaccinated.

and why is it the only people i hear about getting covid seems to be those who are vaxxed? My cousin, who just had cancer surgery a month ago, is in the hospital on oxygen. He's vaxxed and so is his wife who was also sent to the hospital. Another one of my vaxxed friends recently got it. Then you have the players and coaching staff from the cowboys, then you have Dana white, and the list goes on and on and on. And i suppose you'd say all these vaxxed people must have gotten the virus from an unvaccinated person............meh

Stats are certainly in your favor

Vaccinated definitely are more susceptible to catching Covid

Than unvaccinated

Also those who are vaccinated are vastly more likely to die

Than the unvaccinated

Stats prove this

Ok, I get to infect you with either polio, or covid…your choice. Which one?

Second, if your son's hospital is full of people very sick with vivid that’s on them for not being vaccinated. If they are vaccinated they did everything they could. The flu also kills many people every year who got vaccinated and most of them are in that age range you mentioned.
My answer to your question is "NEITHER." And the previous generation wisely chose that option for themselves related to polio and in the process stopped the virus from infecting others. This generation -- well, many in this generation -- have chosen a different path related to Covid-19. And our nation is worse off because of their "personal" decisions. We don't live in a vacuum, folks. Our individual decisions affect the whole.

Than unvaccinated

Than the unvaccinated

Stats prove this
I'm afraid you are dangerously mistaken, my hawkeyenation friend. There are no stats to prove what you're saying. 80-90% of all patients in hospital ICUs due to Covid-19 are non-vaccinated individuals. That's not 'fake news' -- that's data from each and every hospital dealing with ICU Covid patients. Stay well.

I'm afraid you are dangerously mistaken, my hawkeyenation friend. There are no stats to prove what you're saying. 80-90% of all patients in hospital ICUs due to Covid-19 are non-vaccinated individuals. That's not 'fake news' -- that's data from each and every hospital dealing with ICU Covid patients. Stay well.

Are you aware of Blatent Sarcasm

Seriously

And regarding my examples of heart disease and smoking deaths, you're completely dodging the point. The point is people wanting the government to mandate vaccines to prevent the vaccine, when we don't mandate anything about bigger killers like smoking or trans fats. Makes zero sense other than media people wanting to get the fear mongering stoked so they get more clicks and views.
Covid does not have a lobbying machine behind it like Big Tobacco and Big Ag, the sugar industry. Covid is just out there in people and now is known to float around in very small aerosol droplets for longer times.

And you say you can control yourself and protect yourself by staying masked and away from people. Well other people have to go work places and be by people so they dont have that choice and in tight quarters for prolonged periods maybe masks will fail to protect.

when over 75% of the population gets vaxxed. Really not that hard to figure out.

Great reply and I would say even higher at 90% vaxxed to really slow down the virus from mutating more than it naturally can.

I have to just shrug my shoulders and roll my eyes sometimes at the people that say just live with it. There is no guarantee that a very virulent, deadly mutation might develop that would spread so fast and kill high percentages of people who get infected and then all of a sudden we are looking and tens or hundreds of millions dead. It is a possibility. There are some people who are not scientists talking like they know the virus would never do this because the virus doesnt want to kill all its hosts. Well that is just stupid to actually think the virus is planning and thinking what it is doing.

Mutations are chance/accidental substitutions of genetic base pairs in DNA and RNA that happen randomly. Then it is up to environmental and other pressures to find out which mutations are helpful for the organism or not helpful. Shit if I could tell my body to mutate a certain way to make me stronger and faster and smarter I would have done it a long time ago. But again, genetic mutations are random and then natural selection determines if the mutation stays in the population of that organism.

and why is it the only people i hear about getting covid seems to be those who are vaxxed? My cousin, who just had cancer surgery a month ago, is in the hospital on oxygen. He's vaxxed and so is his wife who was also sent to the hospital. Another one of my vaxxed friends recently got it. Then you have the players and coaching staff from the cowboys, then you have Dana white, and the list goes on and on and on. And i suppose you'd say all these vaxxed people must have gotten the virus from an unvaccinated person............meh

The Johnson and Johnson and the Pfizer vaccines effectiveness wanes quite a bit after 5 or 6 months is the reason. Did you know that the Moderna vaccines had a dose 3 times higher that Pfizer even though they are injecting the same mRNA molecules. That is why after 6 months people on Moderna are still about 90% protected while Pfizer is down to 60-70 % protected. When did the people you talk about get vaxxed, how long ago, did they get a booster. It seems that a whole hell of a lot of people who got fully vaxxed are not getting a booster.

Early on these vaccines were really working but then after some months the breakthrough covid illnesses started showing up which is why the scientists then looked at boosters.

I would say anyone with a logical mind would say 90% vaccinated population with vaccines that prevent illness at a 90% rate would really shut down the virus's spread and at the same time diminish the number of variant mutations that are created.

SARS 1 back in 2003 or whenever was so much more deadlier than this current SARS2 covid 19 but it did not spread very well because it was only spread by people who were showing bad symptoms and very sick so they had already been hospitalized.

I dont see why people want to expect to and want to accept 1,000+ dying a day in the US.

The data is very clear how Covid affects those who choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle. “Breakthrough” cases are far from rare so I ask again; how does an unvaccinated person poise a risk to you and your family?

What are these examples of unhealthy lifestyles you are talking about and the actual ways they manifest themselves in people?

Than unvaccinated

Than the unvaccinated

Stats prove this

Please post the stats you have that back up your argument and the actual scientific studies and sources those stats come from. I am very interested to read them.

Really you are doing blatent sarcasm about a deadly disease. I will keep that in mind in the future.

Are you getting any sort of point across

With your rambling la de dah, Jack

What the F are you trying to say

Dance around the issue all day long