Annoying Penn State fans making excuses

Don't let it bother you, we would probably be whining too if Petras would have gone out early 4th quarter.

Regarding the fake-injury stuff, there was really just one obvious one (DE17 after a nice Goodson run). But he just happened to dive on the turf in front of God and the entire Kinnick stadium crowd. There was no booing before that one, but after that obvious fake-job, everyone started booing every injury (the rest were probably legit). I can't fault PSU for being a bit upset about that, but I can't fault fans for booing when one guy clearly takes a dive in front of the whole stadium.

I can even go Devil's advocate a bit further...as a defender, if you are even a bit dinged and need to come out, you absolutely should hit the turf. At least give the coaches an opportunity to make the right sub and get everything in order. No need to stay there for 2 minutes will the trainer fake-checks your knee, though.

Just my opinion but after the first (even if it's the only) fake injury I don't think it's fair to say the rest were probably legit, because the burden of proof is no longer there. So unfortunately they brought it upon themselves.

And I agree with your devil's advocate approach, but at the same time if it were legit you'd see it occurring as frequently during plays that resulted in an Iowa loss or no gain. I didn't rewatch the game, but if I recall correctly I didn't think continually moving the chains meant stopping the game for another injured (and I use that term loosely) PSU defender. I'm with you that in trying to look at it from another angle to preserve the integrity of opponent, but in this case, as with MSU, there's a different set of rules being used.

The injuries that happened around the ball were the ones that seemed legit. The ones that happened away from the ball or after the player was walking back to their position and went down - less likely to be legit. See both angles of the one that Woods acted out on the sideline. Dude was untouched the entire play and wait a few seconds after the play was over (looking for flags?) Before crumpling to the ground like he took a head shot in a video game.

I just want to yell at PSU fans that Clifford was not out when it was 17-3. He was out after Iowa scored to make it 17-10. He may have been injured at 17-3, but he wasn't out until he failed to take the field at 17-10.

This. Roberson did not come into a blowout game, it was one possession and Iowa was gaining momentum.

BTW, Clifford had already thrown 2 pics in 1 1/2 quarters of action...and pointing out the obvious...Phil Parker is a guru at making half time adjustments and shutting teams down in the second half. Clifford getting knocked out was also not some freak accident...it was a direct result of the defensive pressure IOWA was beginning to put on him.

Just because PSU was able to move the ball early in the game, it doesn't follow that the rest of the game would have looked the same.

The injuries that happened around the ball were the ones that seemed legit. The ones that happened away from the ball or after the player was walking back to their position and went down - less likely to be legit. See both angles of the one that Woods acted out on the sideline. Dude was untouched the entire play and wait a few seconds after the play was over (looking for flags?) Before crumpling to the ground like he took a head shot in a video game.

PSU did have a couple of guy legitimately hurt..which is unfortunate. The flopping was bush league and obvious ...even to the guys calling the game on TV. They mentioned it.

I honestly don't believe we generally bitch like this when we lose. We don't call the other team lucky, or blame the refs or the conference like Nebbie and PSU are famous for doing. We blame BF and whomever the QB is! That's what true fans do: assign blame internally!

:)
This one was on the refs.

So I have had three Penn State fans already make unsolicited comments to me making excuses, or calling us lucky. One was a friend, so I kind of get that - but the other two were people I don't know other than I see them working at my daughters day care, and one was the front desk guy at my gym. (I was wearing an Iowa shirt)

It is kind of sad, because it wasn't even good natured ribbing, or "We will get you next time" - it was just pathetic "that wasn't fair, you hurt our guy" and "You were lucky, we are so much better than you" type of BS.

I just smiled and used Kirk's line "that's football" and walked on
Maybe they should have done a better job protecting their quarterback. Iowa strategically uses blitzes so that when we do, we tend to get home. They decided to go with a 5-wide/empty set - a risk on third and long. It was an amazingly executed delayed blitz.

Last edited:
Maybe they should have done a better job protecting their quarterback. Iowa strategically uses blitzes so that when we do, we tend to get home. They decided to go with a 5-wide/empty set - a risk on third and long. It was an amazingly executed delayed blitz.

I'll go one step further. If your going to continually put your QB in a position to take shots you damn well better have a serviceable backup that's game tested and ready to play. Same thing with ol' Frosty to the west. Sure Martinez is a good QB but when you don't care if he's going to take hit after hit don't act surprised when he gets hurt.

I'll go one step further. If your going to continually put your QB in a position to take shots you damn well better have a serviceable backup that's game tested and ready to play. Same thing with ol' Frosty to the west. Sure Martinez is a good QB but when you don't care if he's going to take hit after hit don't act surprised when he gets hurt.
Yep Nebraska and their repeated QB injuries came to my mind as well.