Checking out Maryland tomorrow against Illini; other Big games

uihawk82

Anyone planning on watching some of this Friday game? I may have it on for awhile to see if Maryland has some really good, fast offensive player. I am more interested in the defenses of our future opponents. If an opponent's defense is weak against the run that is a good sign for Iowa. Controlling the LOS and game clock with our running game and being able to play action pass on first down are huge

Minnesota, which nearly bobbled away their last game, will be interesting playing on the road at a team that was decent recently but I have no idea how Colo. is this year. And I am interested to see if Penn STates defense is for real.

Yeah, I will watch, and (a) be rooting for Illinois to demoralize Maryland, or (b) wanting MD to win so we have potential for another quality win on our resume. Maybe (b) is the best scenario.................

Yeah, I will watch, and (a) be rooting for Illinois to demoralize Maryland, or (b) wanting MD to win so we have potential for another quality win on our resume. Maybe (b) is the best scenario.................

I'm on the fence on this one, a Maryland win could get them ranked as they are already getting votes in the polls. OTOH, I just want Iowa to win and I'm not sure if I care about style points.

Rooting for Illinois to soften up Maryland as much as possible. Iowa should take care of business when we play them there, but is still scary to think they have that Alabama breed of QB playing for them. Also hope for Auburn to soften up Penn St.

We are already 5th. I just want wins. An Illinois win over Maryland is a good sign for Iowa traveling to Maryland. Illinois is a crappier version of us. Much crappier.

However, I would counter what 56 just posted. There are good reasons to root for PSU. One, conference strength. More importantly, a better shot at College Game Day making a second trip to Iowa this season.
Yes, them winning would be beneficial....but suffering some key personal losses in the process.

Beating WVU was a good win. We can debate if Mike Locksley is a good coach or not. What we can’t debate is his ability to get dudes. They have playmakers on that team.

Iowa just isn’t going to show up and win. It wouldn’t shock me at all if they lost to Maryland and beat PSU.

I'm on the fence on this one, a Maryland win could get them ranked as they are already getting votes in the polls. OTOH, I just want Iowa to win and I'm not sure if I care about style points.
A ranked Maryland is much less likely to catch Iowa off-guard, though. I'd love it if Maryland could get ranked for the Iowa game.

Iowa should be able to run all over Maryland

Illinois is really running pretty good right at them. Maryland front 7 is fast and rushes the passer well but pushed around by run blockers.

Maryland's offense has play makers but their passing game is mostly short passes so good coverage and great tackling will be needed

I think it could be a game where Iowa has to play 4 quarters on Maryland (if still clunking Iowa offense), but they should beat them. But, if Iowa gets it's offense clicking in the next 2 weeks and packs their elite defense on the road, could be a fairly comfortable road win.

Iowa really should handle both Maryland and Illinois.

Iowa should have a real good chance of going into the Penn St game 5-0. Depending on how Penn St fairs, another game day could be in the state of Iowa.

Of note, I think they showed a stat that Maryland is much better at home....so Iowa needs to not look past them to the Penn St game. But, this team seems pretty focused so I'm not overly concerned with that.

Last edited:
So far I'm seeing two teams Iowa should beat without a lot of trouble. Maryland's QB is a true QB talent. Speed. Throws good. Makes good decisions. Their problem is the offensive line. They do have some good receivers. Deemas? At 6.4 he can be a matchup problem.
Their defensive line is average.

Illinois is what we already know. A work in progress. A good QB in Peters. Lot of guys trying hard but they need some stars. Early on Illinois was rushing 4 or more as the game progressed they opted to rush 2 or 3 and go with max pass protection.

Last edited: