Make your case

in favor of giving Padilla the start vs Kent St.

I am going to cheat, I will make the case against:

The TD pass to Jones.
The 3rd and long from his own goal line pass to LaPorta that was dropped.

Case for starting Padilla: 2013 49ers replacing a very competent Alex Smith with Kapernick due to the added dimension of his running. If there is a chance that Padilla could be Drew Tate to Petras' Nate Stanley, then it would be a bold but justifiable move.

I am going to cheat, I will make the case against:

The TD pass to Jones.
The 3rd and long from his own goal line pass to LaPorta that was dropped.

Case for starting Padilla: 2013 49ers replacing a very competent Alex Smith with Kapernick due to the added dimension of his running. If there is a chance that Padilla could be Drew Tate to Petras' Nate Stanley, then it would be a bold but justifiable move.

Let alone Petras was a really good 7 for 7 on the 2 2nd qtr scoring drives to give the hawks their cushion.

Thats a tough sell. Not even Petras has had a chance yet to start against a "cupcake" like Kent State. Petras first 10 starts have been against all P5 teams, which is kind of unfair.

On the other hand, if coaches were seriously thinking about making a change in the long term, now would be the time to do it. But Iowa has won 8 straight with Petras starting. I know Dabo Swinney did it at Clemson, benching a winning veteran QB, but thats because he had Trevor Lawrence sitting on the bench. But Padilla is no Trevor Lawrence.

Hopefully Iowa will be up 35-0 at halftime and Padilla can get some serious playing time against KSU in the 2nd half, because otherwise the only way he is going to play is if Petras gets hurt and nobody is rooting for that.

1631505369114.png

1631505668386.png

Well, Iowa's defense and special teams are elite.....he does have this shirt on that says he is elite.....so that makes him elite.....and therefore he should start?

Petras's first year as a starter, he got 0 preseason reps as qb1. He lost to Purdue by 4, and NW by 1. Since then he's won every game. His QBR was 119 last year, He's at 100.1 this year

Stanley's QBRs were 135.2, 136.5, and 131.3

Bethard's average qbr was 129.8

Ruddock (at Iowa) was 130

Vandenberg was 120.3

Stanzi was 141.6

Drew Tate was 137.1

Jake Christensen was 118.8

Nathan Chandler was 123.7

Brad Banks was 155.0
Chuck Long was 150.5

Petras's first year as a starter, he got 0 preseason reps as qb1. He lost to Purdue by 4, and NW by 1. Since then he's won every game.
I'm not an anti-Petras guy at all, but he didn't win those games. Our defense and special teams won those games.

Again, Petras just has to be serviceable as long as our defense keeps playing lights out and Taylor keeps pinning teams inside their own 10 yd line.

Didn’t a group on this site years ago give out annual awards for various posts? What was that group?

There was a group called simply "The Committee" that met once per year to determine which posters and posts were worthy of awards. The membership of The Committee was a secret. One day, Jon D. Miller banned dozens of posters. The awards stopped thereafter. Make of it what you will.

in favor of giving Padilla the start vs Kent St.
Let's see here..... Petras was shaky to start against the Clowns but settled in and hit Jones for a touchdown, he did take a few sacks that hurt field position but did not turn the ball over. Wins 27 to 17 and has the Hawks ranked and is 2-0. What you smoking? I have a better chance of subbing in for T Good than Padilla starting for Petras.

I'm not an anti-Petras guy at all, but he didn't win those games. Our defense and special teams won those games.

Again, Petras just has to be serviceable as long as our defense keeps playing lights out and Taylor keeps pinning teams inside their own 10 yd line.
No. My point is that he's just below average for an Iowa QB. That's my case.

Latest posts