5th in AP, 7th in Coaches Poll

Absurdly high ranking for an offense that cant generate yards or points, who's defense damn near outscores their offense and who's, MVP is their punter. But yeah, I'll take it!!

Totally fair. I agree, total guessing game at this point. I just feel like I haven't watched a top 5-7 team. That said, your point of not really seeing 10-12 teams better at this point is well taken.

They keep winning and improving on offense...it'll take care of itself. At 6-0, would be really hard to not have them in the top 7, given the resume.

There's Bama and then there's everyone else. Through 2 weeks, I'd say Iowa is interchangeable with anyone in the "everyone else" bucket. I'm not sold on A&M or Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas or Mississippi State ends up as the #2 team in the SEC west.

Sagarin has:

6 - OSU
7 - Iowa
8 - PSU

ISU is 13th, Indiana is 33rd.

Kent State is 60th, which is actually a bit higher than I would have blind guessed.

Colorado State appears to be really bad. 124th with a loss to an FCS school.

Barring major catastrophe, we should be 4-0 a few weeks from now. Hopefully we can use the next couple games to do some experimentation on offense.

From what I read Kent State has a decent offense that can score quickly if you don't take care. Their QB is pretty good at zone read. They do seem to throw a lot of interceptions though too.

Not sure if they play defense.

2 out of 3 phases certainly fits the bill at this point (defense and special teams). If Iowa even improves to an average offense it is amazing to think about.
This. An offense performing at teh same level as the defense and special teams could make this a special club and season.

There's Bama and then there's everyone else. Through 2 weeks, I'd say Iowa is interchangeable with anyone in the "everyone else" bucket. I'm not sold on A&M or Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas or Mississippi State ends up as the #2 team in the SEC west.
I’d include Georgia in that tier with Bama, so far they’ve been impressive.

I know we all want ISU to do well from here out.
But it is fun that this was going to be their year in Iowa and the rest of college football. A Big 12 championship that appears to be relatively up for grabs. And a home win over the Hawks who have lots of question marks.

We all still have some questions about our Hawks and we'll see a tumble at some point. But they are easily better than my initial hopes. 3 weeks ago, escaping these first two games with a 1-2 record would have been a very good relative start.

Going 2-0 with exclamation points is just rubbing salt in the Clone's wounds. This was gonna be "their year".

If we don't tumble tho...
My wife did remind me of a deal she made confidently many years ago, that if they ever go to the title game...I'm going. She's still pretty confident. But I also don't think she's ever been this...concerned.

But it is fun that this was going to be their year in Iowa and the rest of college football. A Big 12 championship that appears to be relatively up for grabs. And a home win over the Hawks who have lots of question marks.

We all still have some questions about our Hawks and we'll see a tumble at some point. But they are easily better than my initial hopes. 3 weeks ago, escaping these first two games with a 1-2 record would have been a very good relative start.

Going 2-0 with exclamation points is just rubbing salt in the Clone's wounds. This was gonna be "their year".

My wife did remind me of a deal she made confidently many years ago, that if they ever go to the title game...I'm going. She's still pretty confident. But I also don't think she's ever been this...concerned.
Big 12 is garbage though, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nebraska gives Oklahoma a game next Saturday. Iowa State is going to be just fine, they are gonna go on a roll and we will start hearing Clown fans chirp how Iowa got lucky.

National title game? Look, the only way I'd go watch Iowa in a national title game is if the other team had its QB knocked out in the 4th quarter of the semifinal game.

Who cares where we are ranked. Practice and get better every rep in practice. Petra's made some nice throws Saturday, build on that! Running game needs work. Alot of improvement needed. Real happy for Hawks. But keep working! Learn from the past games....prepare for the future ones

I am pretty sure the coaches do not look ahead past the next game and they do not bring up later games. Players might be imagining things in the future but I think they are pretty grounded and focusing on only the next game.

We have one of the best defenses and special teams in the nation. We beat 2 ranked teams without an offense. That should tell you the quality of those 2 other units. Every team with the exception of Alabama has at least one weakness. There is no reason we shouldnt be 5 and I think we should be 4, but we know Oregon is a bigger sell for the playoffs than Iowa.

Are there any NFL teams ‘Bama could straight up beat?

We might win ugly but we win. I just wish offense looked better. Maybe Indiana and iowa State defense that good. I know line is bagged up.

We tend to forget with Schott out we have been playing a makeshift lineup. I will hold judgement until line is healthy.
Or until we play a top 20 defense and still lose. Iowa's offense drove the field just fine in the 2nd quarter. The rest of the game they were pretty much on
I am pretty sure the coaches do not look ahead past the next game and they do not bring up later games. Players might be imagining things in the future but I think they are pretty grounded and focusing on only the next game.
No.

They set goals for the team at the beginning of the season. Kirk even said "I think we have a pretty good team". He doesn't say that very often.

And if Iowa gets to the PSU game undefeated, with a win over a top 25 Maryland on the road? Toughest schedule so far in the country. Beat PSU in top ten. You have to understand that Iowa is legitimately good.

With Iowa State's defense, they're going to be in every single game the rest of the year. I think they'll put up 40 against UNLV next week.

2 out of 3 phases certainly fits the bill at this point (defense and special teams). If Iowa even improves to an average offense it is amazing to think about.

I think that's what mirrors my take. As frustrated at times with the offense as I was, I also remember thinking to myself in 4th quarter that we have 150 yards of total offense and were up 27-10 at that point in a game that wasn't really that close at all. While there are concerns about the offense, I also think that the offense can and will improve. If we even get to the middle of the pack with the way the D and special teams are playing this team could be scary. At the same time though if the offense doesn't improve I'm not sure the defense and special teams can be expected to get it done like they have so far.

Absurdly high ranking for an offense that cant generate yards or points, who's defense damn near outscores their offense and who's, MVP is their punter. But yeah, I'll take it!!
I agree, but what if the offense figures things out? If that happens we become scary.