Initial Game thoughts

Same ole comments, missing open receiver's, over throwing or under throwing. Seems like with every new name Qb it's the same comments.
Here's an idea , in the KF system there are no 2 or 3 options. The play is called to go to a certain spot. Regardless of who else might be open the ball is going to the called play or spot. Been that way for years. The same comments I'm reading now here or the same I read about Stanley and so on. If that isn't the case then someone tell me why you never see a Iowa Qb never look for any other read than the first one.
Well of course there is a first read in our pro style passing game but if a lbkr or safety jump a route then it is the next read.

I think the newer main thing from past QBs up through CJB and our last two QBs is I think KF and BF want them to dump it out of bounds after about 2 reads and 3 seconds or so. They dont want the sacks, the sack fumbles, the QB hit like on beathard against NDSU that popped into the air for and INT pick 6. They deathly want to stay ahead of the chains.

And when you have a super punter and a great defense it probably is the smart thing to do but maybe somewhat boring and low risk.

In the end they want to win and we want to see them win.

Tory Taylor’s importance can’t be overstated. Watching him during thebspring game and this past Saturday he’s frickin amazing. He can drop the ball on the 2 yard line from anywhere in a 60 yard window. Guys like that win you ballgames are times.

Tory Taylor’s importance can’t be overstated. Watching him during thebspring game and this past Saturday he’s frickin amazing. He can drop the ball on the 2 yard line from anywhere in a 60 yard window. Guys like that win you ballgames are times.
Agreed. He was about 2 yards too deep on a couple of punts Saturday but it didn't hurt us. He hits those spot on more often than not.

My initial thought is that Jack Campbell seemed to have a quiet game (stats may tell a different story than eye test) and we still dominated on D.

Campbell may be our best defensive player, if not one of our two best players period, and one of our two best pro prospects.
Yeah I noticed Benson was all over the field too, heck of a game by him.

Yeah I noticed Benson was all over the field too, heck of a game by him.
Agreed and Jacobs was really good he was matched on WR and Running backs most of the game and late in the game he chased down a running back that was impressive!!
he will be a big cog in our D play on sat

Great to see the usual bs about Petras being no good.

He was adequate, not much more. Take away the WR drops and his numbers would be better...but still not great. Let's put it this way, he doesn't look like a QB who can win the game for you...yet. At some point (maybe this Saturday) we're gonna need that.

Iowa State will do a lot of blitzing next week

Maybe. ISU generally comes out in a pretty base set on defense especially at the beginning of the game with very little blitzing. I think they like to see if they can stop the run with the 3 down before they start making any changes. At least for the first quarter I bet it will be very vanilla.

When, if ever, in a football game has a QB from any team been even 65% at a game you've attended in person? The best ever in cfb was last year. Bama's qb was 77%. Before that, an OK qb had the record with 68%.

65% is a lights out college qb. 65% to 57% is the difference between a qb that wins 30 games over 3 years and one that wins 24. It's the difference between 3100 yds and 2300 yds in a season.

It happens pretty often actually and not just in air raid offenses. Purdy completed 80% of his passes on Saturday and has a career 66.5% completion %, and no offense but people around here think he's not that good.

It happens pretty often actually and not just in air raid offenses. Purdy completed 80% of his passes on Saturday and has a career 66.5% completion %, and no offense but people around here think he's not that good.
65%+ is not all that common. I'm not knocking knocking Purdy, I wish we'd have gotten him. But college qbs (all FBS, not just top 25) don't do that well, routinely.

Through Saturday, 54 - 112 were below 66%. That's more than half.

In the 2020 season, only 22 passers were above 66%. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2020-passing.html

60%+ is common, with 74 or more making that mark in 2020.

65%+ is not all that common. I'm not knocking knocking Purdy, I wish we'd have gotten him. But college qbs (all FBS, not just top 25) don't do that well, routinely.

Through Saturday, 54 - 112 were below 66%. That's more than half.

In the 2020 season, only 22 passers were above 66%. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2020-passing.html

60%+ is common, with 74 or more making that mark in 2020.

your post said “when, if ever”. 22 guys averaged over that amount just last year.

While a good solid win...
- It did not seem we could sustain offensive drives.
- Why were Petras, Goodson even on the field in the 4th qtr? We dont get many games to play the backups, but this seemed like an opportunity for backups to get more than 2 or 3 plays in the final minutes.

your post said “when, if ever”. 22 guys averaged over that amount just last year.
> When, if ever, in a football game has a QB from any team been even 65% at a game you've attended in person?

Has that happened to you a lot? It hasn't for me. I've seen lots of 63-64% games, but I can't remember being at one of those where it seems the QB just can't miss.