Merged - Big 12 Aftermath Thread

tweeterhawk

Reports that Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to SEC and an announcement may come in a couple weeks. If they bolt, does Bowlsby survive?

Reports that Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to SEC and an announcement may come in a couple weeks. If they bolt, does Bowlsby survive?

Bowlsby already has his next soft landing figured out if this bridge burns. People of his ilk always do. I've seen it my entire adult life, seen how people like that roll.

The potential fall-out from this move makes my head spin. The SEC and Big Ten were looked at as the top 2 conferences in revenue, but this could put the SEC at level all by themselves. And there is not much the Big Ten could do to match.

The whole concept of the P5 will be gone, with something new in its place.

The Big 12 will probably survive picking some expansion teams choosing from BYU, Houston, Cincy, USF and/or UCF. But the B12 will become more of a tweener conference. While SEC teams will be making $70M each, and the Big 10 will be making $60M each, the B12 will be making $10M-$20M each.

Goodbye NCAA, hello super conferences. ISU, OkieSt., Kansas and KSU join the Big Ten. You are going to need a football blue blood to balance out the Big 12 leftovers. No one really to choose from if Notre Dame says no for the 120th time.

Without Oklahoma or Texas the Big 12 will be little more than the Mountain West, MAC or the other little conferences

Goodbye NCAA, hello super conferences. ISU, OkieSt., Kansas and KSU join the Big Ten. You are going to need a football blue blood to balance out the Big 12 leftovers. No one really to choose from if Notre Dame says no for the 120th time.

The Big Ten would never ever ever ever take all of those shit programs. The media revenue model is based on how much you can add to the conference. ISU will dilute Iowa's already small population. The State of Kansas has an even lower population than Iowa with two schools. No way the B1G would want them. They suck at football. Maybe there could be something done for Kansas because it would give the B1G a hoops blue blood, but I'll bet the powers in Kansas would overplay their hand and demand KSU go as well, which would be a non-starter. Maybe Oklahoma State could get something done.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a realignment where the B1G tosses Rutgers and Maryland out and brings in those 4 teams that you mentioned. I would love to see some sort of 4x4 pod system in a 16 team conference and I'd like to see the ACC, SEC and B1G all adopt that. You'd have the Big 8 pod of Kansas, Kansas State, Okie State, Nebraska. Then you'd have the middle pod of Iowa, ISU, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Next would be the Indiana-Illinois pod of Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern. OSU, UM, MSU PSU in the final pod, called the "Real Football Programs Pod."

9 game schedule, you play the 3 other teams in your pod every year, you rotate each of the other 3 pods every year. And then one game against a team from the two remaining pods each year. It would preserve every major rivalry game and ensure that you play every team once every 3 years and I believe it would work out so you would be guaranteed at least 4 games per decade with everyone, sometimes 5. I'd make the conference champ participants floating, so the locked in cross pods form the divisions that set the championship participants. So if the Big 8 pod plays the middle pod and the Real Pod plays the Indiana-Illinois pod in year 1, those would be the divisions. If in the next year, the Big 8 pod plays the Indiana-Illinois pod and the Real Pod plays the middle pod, those would be the two divisions for that year. Etc. I think it would be epic.

The Big Ten would never ever ever ever take all of those shit programs. The media revenue model is based on how much you can add to the conference. ISU will dilute Iowa's already small population. The State of Kansas has an even lower population than Iowa with two schools. No way the B1G would want them. They suck at football. Maybe there could be something done for Kansas because it would give the B1G a hoops blue blood, but I'll bet the powers in Kansas would overplay their hand and demand KSU go as well, which would be a non-starter. Maybe Oklahoma State could get something done.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a realignment where the B1G tosses Rutgers and Maryland out and brings in those 4 teams that you mentioned. I would love to see some sort of 4x4 pod system in a 16 team conference and I'd like to see the ACC, SEC and B1G all adopt that. You'd have the Big 8 pod of Kansas, Kansas State, Okie State, Nebraska. Then you'd have the middle pod of Iowa, ISU, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Next would be the Indiana-Illinois pod of Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern. OSU, UM, MSU PSU in the final pod, called the "Real Football Programs Pod."

9 game schedule, you play the 3 other teams in your pod every year, you rotate each of the other 3 pods every year. And then one game against a team from the two remaining pods each year. It would preserve every major rivalry game and ensure that you play every team once every 3 years and I believe it would work out so you would be guaranteed at least 4 games per decade with everyone, sometimes 5. I'd make the conference champ participants floating, so the locked in cross pods form the divisions that set the championship participants. So if the Big 8 pod plays the middle pod and the Real Pod plays the Indiana-Illinois pod in year 1, those would be the divisions. If in the next year, the Big 8 pod plays the Indiana-Illinois pod and the Real Pod plays the middle pod, those would be the two divisions for that year. Etc. I think it would be epic.
Good analysis, but please revise and find a way to put Nebraska in the "real football programs" pod. Maybe you hadn't heard, but they've sold out every game since 1962. Also, their 1971 and 1995 teams are considered among the best in college football history.

Yeah, they've been down a bit over the last couple decades, but the refs and the [Big XII/Big Ten] have really been fucking them over. It's sad.

Anyways, please put them in the real football programs pod.

May be no choice but to. Most have as good as or better bb programs. KU rules KC

Good analysis, but please revise and find a way to put Nebraska in the "real football programs" pod. Maybe you hadn't heard, but they've sold out every game since 1962. Also, their 1971 and 1995 teams are considered among the best in college football history.

Yeah, they've been down a bit over the last couple decades, but the refs and the [Big XII/Big Ten] have really been fucking them over. It's sad.

LMAO. No, we need to keep Nebraska out of the real football programs pod so that the conference is guaranteed a Nebraska versus OSU, UM or PSU title game at least 2 out of every 3 years. You want someone who can keep the score within 5 TDs to keep the TV ratings up.

May be no choice but to. Most have as good as or better bb programs. KU rules KC

Agreed. The biggest problem with my model is it assumes you could jettison Rutgers and Maryland for the ACC. The other big problem is if OU and UT join the SEC and Rutgers and Maryland join the ACC, it would leave West Virginia without a home or put them in the Pac 10, which would be a disaster. I'm assuming that the Texas schools other than UT would join the Pac 10, so it would add Baylor, Tortilla Tech and TCU, but that would leave it with 15 teams. If I was the AD at West Virginia, I'd be sweating bullets trying to get Jim Phillips (former Northwestern AD, current ACC president) on the phone right fucking now.

The only one the Big Ten would consider from that group is Kansas. The rest of them either do not expand the footprint of the BTN (KSU/ISU) or are not a good fit academically (KSU/OSU). Kansas would bring in the Kansas City market and brings a blue blood basketball program to the conference.

If Texas and Oklahoma leave then the B12 I think they can still survive but the conference will take a HUGE hit in prestige. They will probably replace them with schools like Boise State and Memphis.

That was effective. I got a little pissed off for about 11 seconds.

How much longer will the NCAA even be involved with college football? Seems as if we are already way down the path of an autonomous, professional sports league. NIL and a full blown playoffs are only going to accelerate that. It seems the split from the NCAA is inevitable. Which might make sense - let the NCAA administer non-revenue D1 sports, as well as D2 and D3. The only gray area left would be D1 men's basketball - the NCAA has its hooks in that money so that isn't changing anytime soon.

If words are indicative of passion, CDub over at CycloneFanatic is sweating all over the floor over the possibility Texas and Oklahoma leave and the Big 12 implodes.

The only one the Big Ten would consider from that group is Kansas. The rest of them either do not expand the footprint of the BTN (KSU/ISU) or are not a good fit academically (KSU/OSU). Kansas would bring in the Kansas City market and brings a blue blood basketball program to the conference.

If Texas and Oklahoma leave then the B12 I think they can still survive but the conference will take a HUGE hit in prestige. They will probably replace them with schools like Boise State and Memphis.
The Big Ten better watch out because they could take Nebraska as well. I seem to recall Nebraska chattering about leaving the Big Ten last year.

I'd love to see the media contracts the Big 12 signed with Fox a few years ago. There's gotta be a ripcord in those if Texas leaves the conference. If they manage to hold it together, I gotta think the media rights are going to be worth 1/3rd to 1/2 of what they are worth now.

Over at CryFan, CDub posits that if Texas and Oklahoma leave and the Big 12 implodes, an Iowa State move to the B1G is a possibility. Would Iowa attempt to block? He doesn't speculate. He points out that Kim Reynolds is an Iowa State grad but doubts she would have any say in it.

Would you want the insufferable folks from the little town up the interstate -- the one with the really good water -- in the B1G? Would it even make sense?

My guess is before this 12 team playoff thing gets solidified there's going to be some major realignment amongst the conferences. I would guess the power 5 may become a power 4 with all kinds of mixing and matching going on. Broke up with divisions. So I would pump the brakes on wanting to make any moves if I were OU or UT or anyone else. I think they need to get all these guys in a room and figure this out instead of a couple teams here and a school there just making their own back room deals.

If words are indicative of passion, CDub over at CycloneFanatic is sweating all over the floor over the possibility Texas and Oklahoma leave and the Big 12 implodes.

I hate Iowa State sports. I hate Iowa State fans. I do respect Iowa State's academic institution because it is really a top rate agricultural school. Despite my disdain for ISU, I really hope they aren't relegated to what becomes a mid major plus conference. I mean, I kind of do, but not really. I can't really articulate how I feel for them. I just know that if Michigan, PSU and OSU all threatened to bounce out of the Big Ten we'd be utterly screwed through no fault of our own and there's no cosmic justice in such an event playing out.

I feel bad for the author of that piece. You can see him oscillating in real time between various stages of grief. I can picture how we would feel if that happened to us. Ugh. The poor fella thinks Texas A&M will have sway in a decision regarding Texas. That just isn't true. The rest of the SEC would trade Texas for A&M straight up in a heartbeat. If they had to vote to remove A&M to get Texas, they would. The real question would be whether a consortium of other Texas schools wouldn't use their legislative powers through the state government to force the UT regents/trustees to stay in the Big 12. Baylor has a lot of sway in Texas. What if Bowlsby reached out Houston and SMU and offered them membership in the Big 12 conditioned on their ability to grease the legislative wheels and keep Texas? That seems more feasible than A&M doing anything to block a UT move. With NIL and all the money in Texas, they could resurrect the glory days of Texas college football. Surely that nostalgia play would carry some weight.

And I think the media rights issue he points to is overrated as well. Obviously, 2021 is already set. Say they move in 2022, that really just leaves the 2022, 2023 and 2024 football seasons (which drives the TV revenue) on the table. Maybe the move would be in 2023 as well. Furthermore, I'm sure the SEC could come up with some sort of "housewarming gift fee" which would totally NOT be TV money and concoct a way to screw the Big 12. I'd want to see the actual contract, not some sports reporter's interpretation of it.