Ads

tweeterhawk

So my wife was using her iPhone to research more online tonight about a ceramic swan she found at an antique store today and lo and behold what’s popping up all over in my HN feed now?

Apparently the algorithm is not just device-based but is for our home’s WiFi network.

Fuuuuuu….

Attachments

• ABDE0718-21CD-4E73-BCF1-E96F10D5437E.png
    ABDE0718-21CD-4E73-BCF1-E96F10D5437E.png
    704.2 KB · Views: 1
So my wife was using her iPhone to research more online tonight about a ceramic swan she found at an antique store today and lo and behold what’s popping up all over in my HN feed now?

Apparently the algorithm is not just device-based but is for our home’s WiFi network.

Fuuuuuu….
My friend’s sister said she was in their living room talking about the 80s movie Teenwolf with her daughter, and that same night she had ads on her YouTube feed for paid streaming of the mid 2000s Teen Wolf tv series. They have a couple Alexas in their house but no one was talking to either one.

My friend’s sister said she was in their living room talking about the 80s movie Teenwolf with her daughter, and that same night she had ads on her YouTube feed for paid streaming of the mid 2000s Teen Wolf tv series. They have a couple Alexas in their house but no one was talking to either one.
Not cool.

I blame Mark Zuckerberg, automaton- looking asshole.

Not cool.

I blame Mark Zuckerberg, automaton- looking asshole.
It’s creepy as shit. I’m probably being left out of society but I don’t have Facebook or any Alexas, and I have targeted ads turned off.

Freaks me the F out to think that there’s a little hockey puck listening to everything you say and pulling levers and switches on all of your devices.

You can turn off whatever you want, your phone is always listening. Unless you physically disable the microphone, but then your phone is pretty much useless. :) Some TV brands that have microphones got busted a few years ago leaving them on 24x7. Don't remember which brand but I'm sure a Google search will tell you.

As for the OP saying his wife was searching for ceramic swans and then he got the ads on HN, that's because you're all coming from the same IP Address from the viewpoint of the advertiser. You have a unique IP on your home network, but once you hit the Internet, you're on the NAT (Network Address Translation) address of your router/modem. This is what allows you to pay for one IP but have multiple devices running in your home. Some advertisers will fingerprint your browser for more targeted ads, some will just look at the IP and serve ads based on that.

Latest posts