Jordan Bohannon Returning for Sixth Season at Iowa

They avg'ed few points due to very limited playing time. Those numbers are sure to go up with more pt.

Well sure. Anybody's numbers would go up with more playing time. The point is that they are completely unproven and having something of a steady hand older player to bridge the gap between eras I think is a good thing.

We were going to bring in another guard regardless. The roster is too thin there. JBO is better than anything we could get on the open market. He is a known quantity. His teammates understand that and that they have to earn their minutes. He will be playing the 2, so that means this is JT's team to run, assuming he is not overtaken by one the youngsters.

This is good news. Iowa put itself back into being a tournament contender this week.

He will be playing the 2, so that means this is JT's team to run, assuming he is not overtaken by one the youngsters.
If you think Fran is going to give Connor a diminished role you're nuts. With Bohannon back Toussaint is going to play the exact same role he did last year.

If you think Fran is going to give Connor a diminished role you're nuts. With Bohannon back Toussaint is going to play the exact same role he did last year.
From what JBo said in the interview he did with Leistikow It doesn't sound that way. It sounds like the goal is for JT to be the full time #1 and see how it goes to start with. It's time for him to take the bull by the horns. Now can he and how well will he do are still questions. If he struggles or gets hurt would JBo slide over or would Uliss? Keeping JBo at the 2.
I'm rooting for JT to play well for obvious reasons. I think he works hard he just likes to play fast and that gets him out ahead of his skis sometimes. When the game slows down for him I think he can be a hell of a player.

Leistikow's take on Connor''s role going into next season (from the Register).......

"While it may seem odd to bring someone with 62 career starts off the bench, it’s something that team-oriented McCaffery is willing to do. And don’t forget, he’s recovering from multiple offseason hip surgeries. The second (to repair a labrum tear in the left hip) was successfully completed Monday. He should be cleared for all on-court activities by October, if all goes well. But as Bohannon can attest it takes time to feel normal again."

As far as how it all washes out as the season progresses at any position I believe will be determined by the player's contribution to the team..........no nepotism as some suggest. As far as Bohannon's return.......positives far outweigh the negatives in helping next year's team in the off guard position.

I understand why some think that Jordan and Conner must start and play a lot of minutes because they are multiple year starters. BUT, this is a way different team than last, and it needs to be.

Conner is a valuable piece off the bench. Experience, leadership and moxy. It worked as a starter last year because there were 4 proven scorers that were also starting, and they needed someone to set them up. We don't have that anymore.

I DO NOT see Conner moving back to the point. He will get his minutes at the 3 and the 4, and I believe off the bench.

I think JBO will start at the 2. I have mixed feelings about that, but I think he is our best overall option given his offense. If he gets beat out, great.

From everything I read in the article, Fran's vision seems spot on given the talent returning. I am mildly optimistic for next year.

Leistikow's take on Connor''s role going into next season (from the Register).......

"While it may seem odd to bring someone with 62 career starts off the bench, it’s something that team-oriented McCaffery is willing to do. And don’t forget, he’s recovering from multiple offseason hip surgeries. The second (to repair a labrum tear in the left hip) was successfully completed Monday. He should be cleared for all on-court activities by October, if all goes well. But as Bohannon can attest it takes time to feel normal again."

As far as how it all washes out as the season progresses at any position I believe will be determined by the player's contribution to the team..........no nepotism as some suggest. As far as Bohannon's return.......positives far outweigh the negatives in helping next year's team in the off guard position.
Call me crazy but I don't sense that nepotism is an issue with Fran and his boys. If anything CM may get benched for his little brother. He benched both of them at different times last yr for not playing well.

CM played alot because he provided a role that was largely needed. He played smart and kept the ball moving and was the best at feeding the post. We just so happened to have a pretty good post player last yr... So passing it to him was pretty important. Next yr if he's hurt and we don't have a dominant post player he may not be as effective and hence may not play as much.

If Connor can revert to his sophomore stats he’ll be in the rotation...and should be IMO.

78% FT
34% 3pt

Throw in his low TOs and leadership/experience/ball handling and he’s on the floor at least 25 mpg.

Good luck trying to press us!

Something like this...

JT/Ulis
JB/Perkins
Perkins/Connor
Patrick/Keegan
Keegan/Portal Guy

I like the mix of experience and youth with the starters. I like Connor and the transfer with young guys on the 2nd team.

Then Kris, the Brit and 2 incoming freshmen are unknown variables.

Side Note - That 1st lineup is an example not necessarily a prediction.

Something like this...

JT/Ulis
JB/Perkins
Perkins/Connor
Patrick/Keegan
Keegan/Portal Guy

I like the mix of experience and youth with the starters. I like Connor and the transfer with young guys on the 2nd team.

Then Kris, the Brit and 2 incoming freshmen are unknown variables.

Side Note - That 1st lineup is an example not necessarily a prediction.
You are gonna have to find 15 minutes at least for Murray 2 somehow! He is going to be a player. The other guy that I predict will be hard to keep off the floor is Perkins. He reminds me some of Roy Marble, solid build, great hops, attack mode always on and fearless. Going to be an exciting player.

Personally I am somewhat stoked for next season now that we have added 2 proven veteran players to go along with the stable of young talent on this team. Exactly what was needed. It will be an easy team to root for and a lot of fun to watch.

How quickly the outlook has changed, at least the sky is no longer falling and this team will not be dwelling in the cellar!

I’m in wait and see mode. I tend
to agree with you but Fran has surprised me before. Next year was looking to be a rebuild regardless, now let’s see what happens. What if Murray does take a huge step? What if Patrick and Joe T do too? What if there’s some players on last years squad who are all a year older and they all take a gradual step up? Jordan can bridge that gap hopefully. He’s been there, he’s probably helpful and encouraging. You’ll take his leadership. You’ll take his shoting imo. I’m not ready to bury next year yet; I’ll agree it looks grim, but we don’t really know what we got just yet either. A big ball of unknown.
JBo just changes what I wanted to see from next year's team. I expected a balls to the wall full-court pressing team that got their offense from defense. With JBo, I can't see that. He cannot play in a press or play man to man on a solid Big Ten guard. The team will have to play slower. I don't think that will be good for this team, or for most young teams. If like this year Fran starts him every game that will hinder our guard development. I just feel Fran has to let this young team run, be athletic. The question is can JBo adapt his game to this style of play? Will Fran play other players when JBo is mismatched? I'm gonna join you in wait and see.

"The question is can JBo adapt his game to this style of play? Will Fran play other players when JBo is mismatched?"

I'm leaning toward No.
That would require JBo getting more athletic magically and that's not happening he is who he is.

I think it'll be similar to this year with JBos mins he'll play a ton. If other team goes at him hard Fran will adjust the defense be it going to zone or shading help his way. But if the guy he's guarding scores on him 3 strait times Fran isn't benching JBo for it I don't think. We'll just come down and hit 3s at the other end.