Keegan Murray NBA Mock updated

Like any public/anonymous message board, HN is a mixed bag - some goofy takes. To be expected; part of the fun, even.

But I swear this board leads them all in terms of underinformed NBA-related hot takes. It's almost astounding.

The NBA draft order is HEAVILY weighted towards potential. Teams, generally, are not looking for matured, developed, and experienced players who can slot into a role day 1. I'm not saying that doesn't happen, I'm just saying generally what teams are doing is trying to nab guys, based on pure potential, before any other teams do. Then, from the player perspective, once you hit a roster as a 18 or 19 year old, your clock starts ticking to show you've got the stuff to stick around. Once you hit that 22-23 age range, unless there are some kind of extenuating factors (such as maybe injuries or physical stature that's just too good to give up on), you better be producing or you'll be out the door so the team can try again with another 18-19 year old.

A four year college player making it in the NBA is, at this point, a feel good underdog story. No, really, I'm not pulling your chain. I'm a big Nuggets fan, I watch every game. Monte Morris is considered an amazing story, "wow, can you imagine a guy this good being left to ROT in college for 4 years?!?" That's the vibe, plain and simple. A lot of NBA guys today have what are relatively only 1 or 2 years of relatively modest college numbers. Depending on the program they came out of, it's not even all that unusual for them to not have even have been full time starters.

And we're not even talking about stars/starters here. This is just The Way Things Are Done. Take PJ Dozier. He is a solid reserve for the Nuggets but, unless you are a Nuggets fan or a really intense follower of the NBA in general, you've never even heard that name. Well, whether you've heard of him or not, he makes a shit ton of money playing professional basketball for a few minutes every other night or so. Look at his college resume. Two years. Look at his best year, his sophomore year. Meh, I mean, ok, I guess. But look at the slope from year 1 to year 2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PJ_Dozier

OKC said, "ok, let's get this kid into a G-League uni and see what happens." Guess what? G-League All-Star. This one worked. A lot of guys from that draft class didn't (or haven't yet). Very, very typical NBA story I'm showing you here.

To bring this back to Keegan, if you want to think like an NBA personnel guy, you gotta make yourself a little mental graph. Where was Keegan last year? A mid-major project player who needed an extra year of finishing school that Fran was an absolute moron (per a segment of the fanbase) for even considering. OK, there's your first plot point. The next plot point then is Keegan showing he was easily the most talented freshman on the Iowa roster (by a long shot) and near the top of the best freshman in the entire Big Ten. A vital role player (sometimes starter) on a top 5 team. OK, now, connect those dots - what does the slope look like? Yeah, if you're a GM, although we're not in one-and-done territory, you are certainly wondering who else might be noticing this guy. If Keegan shows even modest growth in year 2, I absolutely believe he could be NBA bound.

Have you or anyone else who posts regularly ever thought of getting g about two dozen regular posters together for a weekend of golf, fishing, a couple Pony Creek shows and general debauchery?

It will never happen, and who knows how many of us would leave in one piece. But its a cool thought anyway.
There would be both lifelong friends made, and fist fights.

That would be the all time weirdest get together that’s ever happened. It would be truly amazing.

Have you or anyone else who posts regularly ever thought of getting g about two dozen regular posters together for a weekend of golf, fishing, a couple Pony Creek shows and general debauchery?

It will never happen, and who knows how many of us would leave in one piece. But its a cool thought anyway.

That get-together has already happened.
1619447083420.png

There would be both lifelong friends made, and fist fights.

That would be the all time weirdest get together that’s ever happened. It would be truly amazing.
Hell, just have everyone meet up at Joes or Club car or something in the fall after/before a game.

Hell, just have everyone meet up at Joes or Club car or something in the fall after/before a game.
If you do it make sure you give a full write-up on HN. I have a feeling that would be one of the most interesting get togethers that ever came out of Iowa City. And that's saying something.

I'm picturing an in person get together where everyone is on their phone watching the game thread.
There's about 25-30 posters here who come to the site religiously and post just about every day.

I'm picturing a deal where everyone has dorky name tags and spends the entire time going, "Holy shit, I never would have pictured you the way you are" and nothing Hawks-related gets talked about. Then everyone would naturally break off into little groups of posters who shit talk the ones they don't like from the board.

It would be a hilarious range of rowdiness too. You'd run the gamut from @chucktownhawk buying rounds of shots and showing everyone naked pictures of all his ex-girlfriends, all the way down to the 87 year-old Three Musketeers of the chick basketball forum. They'd be off in the corner drinking decaf coffee and cringing at every F-bomb (which would be plentiful) and exchanging notes with @judzeehawk on how to illegally livestream games through local access since they're not on TV.

There's about 25-30 posters here who come to the site religiously and post just about every day.

I'm picturing a deal where everyone has dorky name tags and spends the entire time going, "Holy shit, I never would have pictured you the way you are" and nothing Hawks-related gets talked about. Then everyone would naturally break off into little groups of posters who shit talk the ones they don't like from the board.

It would be a hilarious range of rowdiness too. You'd run the gamut from @chucktownhawk buying rounds of shots and showing everyone naked pictures of all his ex-girlfriends, all the way down to the 87 year-old Three Musketeers of the chick basketball forum. They'd be off in the corner drinking decaf coffee and cringing at every F-bomb (which would be plentiful) and exchanging notes with @judzeehawk on how to illegally livestream games through local access since they're not on TV.
Where do you fall into all of that? Would be tough to be a real-life moderator. :)

Holy cow guys keep it going.

I'm probably the shittiest thread starter on this board. I'll bet I haven't had more than two threads make it to the second page. But I may be on something here in mid stream.

The closest I came to starting a thread with some real momentum was when Chicago sports talk show host Laurence Holmes took a shot at Fran on the air last year in March. It was on a Monday. Within 48 hours the sports world was shut down by COVID and my thread was quickly short circuited as attention quickly went elsewhere.

As to a gathering of HN members. I will stay with Fry’s conclusion that I am well into my 80’s. So, early bird dinner at 5:00 pm, nothing spicy. No more than two cocktails. They have to be Brandy Old Fashioned’s, sweet. The party must end by 8:45. Everyone home by 9:00. If you are between 20 and 40, you can stay and have a 3rd and 4th drink, probably tequila. That is the time most guys start bragging about their sexual conquests. I won’t be there for that session because I have far too many to remember.

Don't forget the story telling hour with Northside ;)

I'm about as exciting in person as you'd expect a HS math teacher to be...

When is the coaching clinic where everybody tells the rest of us how IA coaches should be running the ball?

Latest posts