Thanks for everything JBO but....

it’s time for you to be a leader from the bench. You obviously ain’t the old JBO. You have never been much on defense and now you are really bad. You can’t score and are even missing free throws. Think of the team and lead from the bench..
this post made me lol

even when he isnt hitting he is important - because they have to guard him and it opens up the court.

A player like bohannon (a smallish 3pt shooter) isn't going to score a lot every night. Especially on a team with so many scoring options.

It has become very easy for me too ignore the nonsense posters spout about Jordan’s limitations. It is pure trolling coupled with the inability to understand the game of basketball. So, hey! Thanks for your contributions.

Toussaint, it's too bad Fran has him playing afraid to make a mistake.
He doesn't play like he is afraid to make a mistake.. he does the same 1000 mph out of control stuff he always has done. Liike yesterday when he drove down the base line and jumped into the air and turned it over - that's not a "playing it safe" because im scared play.

He just hasn't been good lately.

Raise your hand if you think this Iowa team should and has the luxury of letting a TO prone PG cut his teeth and feel his way out this season? We don’t, we can’t afford that, our margin is razor thin. The best part? We don’t have to, thankfully. This team would be F’d without Jordan Bohannon right now.

He doesn't play like he is afraid to make a mistake.. he does the same 1000 mph out of control stuff he always has done. Liike yesterday when he drove down the base line and jumped into the air and turned it over - that's not a "playing it safe" because im scared play.

He just hasn't been good lately.
A guy like that is going to make a mistake once in a while. But his ability to drive creates opportunities for himself and other players. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday so I didn't see the play you referenced but from what I have seen it looks like he has been trying to play more under control. When he does make a mistake Fran has had a quick hook.

Raise your hand if you think this Iowa team should and has the luxury of letting a TO prone PG cut his teeth and feel his way out this season? We don’t, we can’t afford that, our margin is razor thin. The best part? We don’t have to, thankfully. This team would be F’d without Jordan Bohannon right now.
Or we could have Connor slide to PG and add Murray. That combination is better in almost all categories when you look at their conference per 40 min stats. Connor actually has more assists/40 mins than Bohannon.

Fran needs a quick hook guys, season was slipping away from us, anyone remember?
Unfortunately Fran hasn't had that quick hook with Bohannan, he will let JBo wear out the rims clanking 3's on them before he will take him out. If JBo isn't nailing the 3 ball he's worthless on the court. Toussaint is much quicker to the hoop, better defensively, and can create opportunities.

Toussaint averages 1.4 turnovers per game, when he makes one Fran tends to yank him and you don't see much of him.

But we've had this debate over and over, we get you think JBo is a god on the basketball court. I get when he's hot he can carry a team, the problem is those games are becoming far and few between.

Or we could have Connor slide to PG and add Murray. That combination is better in almost all categories when you look at their conference per 40 min stats. Connor actually has more assists/40 mins than Bohannon.
Yeah, but that's not what people are calling for and you obviously realize that. I would be fine with that scenario as well and it's what kind of what we do.

Unfortunately Fran hasn't had that quick hook with Bohannan, he will let JBo wear out the rims clanking 3's on them before he will take him out. If JBo isn't nailing the 3 ball he's worthless on the court. Toussaint is much quicker to the hoop, better defensively, and can create opportunities.

Toussaint averages 1.4 turnovers per game, when he makes one Fran tends to yank him and you don't see much of him.

But we've had this debate over and over, we get you think JBo is a god on the basketball court. I get when he's hot he can carry a team, the problem is those games are becoming far and few between.
See but what you are saying isn't true. So, call me a homer all you want, you just don't speak the truth. He wasn't on last night, didn't hurt us. He wasn't on against MSU, didn't hurt us. He wasn't on against Rutgers, didn't hurt us. In those 3 games he took a total of 14 -3 pointers. That's not very many. That's not clanking 3's off the rim left and right and Iowa has 2 top 25 wins in that span and 2 road wins.

Currently Jordan averages 1.3 TO's in 29 minutes a game and JT averages 1.4 in 11 minutes a game. LOL I can't keep doing all this math for you guys, call me a homer if ya want, but you guys just aren't living in reality.

Why do you Rubes think Joe T is the only option at PG for F's sake?

We have a guy on our team right now not named Bohannon or Toussaint who's played a whole bunch of PG throughout his career, and he's playing much better than Joe T.

A guy like that is going to make a mistake once in a while. But his ability to drive creates opportunities for himself and other players. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday so I didn't see the play you referenced but from what I have seen it looks like he has been trying to play more under control. When he does make a mistake Fran has had a quick hook.

JT doesn't fit our offensive scheme that well right now. Our offense is based off of a post player scoring or being double teamed opening up shooters.

Honestly that's a more efficient plan than having a borderline out of control speed point guard trying to bolt down the lane and dish.

Plus JT is a walking offensive foul and he dribbles like the ball is covered with butter.

I like Joe and hope he improves - but he is absolutely not a better option.

He is better on Defense.. but everything else is a minus.

Can’t play him, he’s not consistent enough and is a walking live ball turnover. If you think Iowa is bad at D now.
Yeah and they just can't be having those... We've done a pretty good job of limiting those but JT is prone to them. On his good days he's great. But when he's not.... He's just been too hit or miss with his play to the point where it's too risky to feed him more mins when it's not necessary. If he's playing well early sure you extend the leash. But if he's turning it over early and making mistakes we are a deep team so use that to our advantage

It's a teaching moment. Fran wants him to play a certain way. You know they've talked about. You know that JT knows exactly what will get him benched. You know he's trying to get better at not doing it. Fran knows he's trying to get better at not doing it...but Iowa just can't afford to let him cut his teeth right now, and the nice thing is, we don't HAVE to. Awesome right?

Why do you Rubes think Joe T is the only option at PG for F's sake?

We have a guy on our team right now not named Bohannon or Toussaint who's played a whole bunch of PG throughout his career, and he's playing much better than Joe T.
Lately they've been doing more of that for when JBo sits. JT has only played like 4 mins and 7 the game before that so they've had CM and a taller lineup in there more often. I kinda like that taller lineup with CM JW KM PM and Garza out there. They haven't done that much but I think saw that for a small stretch once. This lineup is so flexible to the point where we can just put out who we think can matchup with who we are playing against better.

And if he leaves, he leaves. Iowa will be just fine. I mean, everyone said Fran was cooked when he was denied by XF and DJC and well..... that might have been a premature outlook.

Lately they've been doing more of that for when JBo sits. JT has only played like 4 mins and 7 the game before that so they've had CM and a taller lineup in there more often. I kinda like that taller lineup with CM JW KM PM and Garza out there. They haven't done that much but I think saw that for a small stretch once. This lineup is so flexible to the point where we can just put out who we think can matchup with who we are playing against better.
In my mind I can't think of a more dangerous Iowa lineup than CM, JW, CJF, KM, LG. Fredrick is a disruptor on the floor and he's got that Bill Laimbeer toughness like Connor. He reminds me of Jason Williams in a way because he's always in the right places to make your life hell as an opponent.

Bohannon has seemed to play with a little more restraint in the last four or five games in regards to shooting; when he sees his shot isn't there that particular night he's backing off and passing the ball. That's fine, but at the same time I think there are better options on those nights. Keegan is B1G ready, and I'd like to see him getting the nod with Connor up top. I'm not a JB hater, but I don't think it's arguable that he's not the player he was a couple years ago. The sample size of games is more than big enough by this point in the season. It happens.

There is a contingent of folks out there who think that a veteran player who's had a lot of success in the past has earned some seniority in a way, and earned a right to a certain degree of playing time. Is that the case with Fran and JB? Probably not entirely...I don't think Fran operates that way. But in the same vein, I also don't see Fran giving away his minutes and one of the reasons is loyalty. That's not ideal IMO. I'm one who thinks the 5 most productive players should get the great majority of the minutes in every conference game.

I hate to (again) have to burst the "Bohannon used to be good but now he sucks" narrative that seems to have taken hold (sadly, perhaps permanently) within a certain set of the fanbase, but...

These numbers are for conference-only play and excludes Jordan's false start senior season:

Offensive rating:
- Freshman: 110.7 (24th in B10)
- Sophomore: 121.0 (9th in B10)
- Junior: 114.9 (14th in B10)
- Senior: 131.5 (3rd in B10)

Some notable conference-only play rankings for Jordan this year:

- 7th in B10 in eFG% at 60.3%
- 11th in B10 in Assist Rate at 24.4
- 1st in B10 in FT% at 90.3%
- 8th in B10 in 3P% at .432

He does struggle on the defensive end, but I think he's more than valuable enough to us on the offensive end to justify making some defensive adjustments to help compensate for that. He sure as hell wouldn't be "leading from the bench" if I were running things.

And, in anticipation of someone saying "yeah, but he's streaky tho...". Sorry, I have the numbers right in front of me - he is, if anything, significantly less "streaky" this season than at any point in his career.

This is an arbitrary metric chosen mostly because it was easy to hand-tabulate, but in Jordan's career, here is how many times his ORtg has dipped below 100:

Freshman: 15 times in 34 games (44%)
Sophomore: 9 times in 33 games (27%)
Junior: 13 times in 35 games (37%)
Senior: 4 times in 22 games (18%)

All in all, his Senior season is proving to be better than his already impressive high water mark Sophomore season. I think trying to get some people to see this is a lost cause, but I'm trying anyway.

This season, he's had 3 notable poor shooting performances that happened to occur in Iowa losses (which is where I suspect the "I miss the Bohannon of old" bullshit is rooted):

- Against Gonzaga, he went 0-5 from 3 and further exacerbated the damage by going 3/4 in Ast/TO.

- First game @ Minnesota, he went 1-7 from 3, but helped his case by going 3/0 in Ast/TO AND snagged 5 rebounds (very impressive for his size/position)

- First Indiana game was then his worst game of the year - 0-8 from 3, didn't score a single point, only 2 assists against 1 TO. Lock him up, I guess?

Latest posts