Song that you can't stand...

hawkdrummer1

By popular request (see what I did there?) here we go.

What song or songs make you cringe. If it's on the radio, you can't turn the dial fast enough... and why?

I'll get the obvious #1 out of the way: "We built this city" by Starship

The chord changes and rhythm are so square and corny, the lyrics just as bad and when the radio DJ voice kicks in...well, that clinches it. Strangely enough two great musicians had a part in writing it, Bernie Taupin (Elton John's long time lyricist) and Peter Wolf (not the Peter Wolf from J Geils) who played keys with Frank Zappa for awhile. You don't play with Frank unless you've got skills.

As for the band itself. The slide from Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship to Starship is the ultimate example of a once great band selling out and getting increasingly poppy and square. "We built this City" would be exhibit 1A at their trial for musical blasphemy.

For me it is Dre Day by Dr. Dre. It was a diss track about Eazy E and Luke from 2 Live Crew, among others. Before Eazy, Dre was in a posse called World Class Wrecking Crew and he used to wear sequins and crap, then he made a diss track calling out one of the godfathers of the genre who made him in Eazy. And he dissed Luke, who stood firm for free speech and was actually arrested for performing and who thought the whole west coast fake ganster persona was a joke. The song was lazy, the video (they even went so far to make it a single because despite what people will say the vaunted "Chronic" album was very mediocre save for Nuthin' but a G Thang) was absolutely slanderous and included an image of Luke bending over presumably to receive a male organ in his anus. Absolute trash.

despite what people will say the vaunted "Chronic" album was very mediocre save for Nuthin' but a G Thang
Trash take. You must not have ever gone past track 2. The Chronic was everything a rap album should be.

Dre Day is garbage as you said, but no albums have 100% winners.

Let Me Ride, Lil' Ghetto Boy, Deeez Nuuuts, and Stranded On Death Row are unbeatable tracks and become better every time a new mumble rap song is recorded.

Last edited:
By popular request (see what I did there?) here we go.

What song or songs make you cringe. If it's on the radio, you can't turn the dial fast enough... and why?

I'll get the obvious #1 out of the way: "We built this city" by Starship

The chord changes and rhythm are so square and corny, the lyrics just as bad and when the radio DJ voice kicks in...well, that clinches it. Strangely enough two great musicians had a part in writing it, Bernie Taupin (Elton John's long time lyricist) and Peter Wolf (not the Peter Wolf from J Geils) who played keys with Frank Zappa for awhile. You don't play with Frank unless you've got skills.

As for the band itself. The slide from Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship to Starship is the ultimate example of a once great band selling out and getting increasingly poppy and square. "We built this City" would be exhibit 1A at their trial for musical blasphemy.
You hit three in the other thread that are on my list as well:

We Built this City
Paradise by the Dashboard Light, and
Love Shack

I'm kind of with Ree4, in that I really don't mind Caroline. Yeah, it's cheesy and cliche, but Neal has a way of making his stuff cool.

I would add:

Hey Jude
Final Countdown
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, and
500 Miles

Any mix of the above songs could lead me to ritual hara-kiri...

Trash take. You must not have ever gone past track 2. The Chronic was everything a rap album should be.

Dre Day is garbage as you said, but no albums have 100% winners.

Let Me Ride, Lil' Ghetto Boy, Deeez Nuuuts, and Stranded On Death Row are unbeatable tracks and become better every time a new mumble rap song is recorded.

Dre cannot rap. Period. That's the problem with the album. He tried to cover it up with a bunch of people he could get on the cheap and that net landed him Snoop, which made him a fortune. Dre is a fantastic producer and the songs you mentioned all have good beats that carry them, but the lyrics and lyricists ranged from bad to mediocre. Yes, they are better than mumble rap, but that is an incredibly low bar.

I have two songs that make me want to puke more than any others.

1) Anything by Mellencamp, but especially "Jack and Diane." That song is an acoustical migraine of the highest order.

2) "Picture" by Sheryl Crow and Bob Ritchie. There's not a dumber song on the planet. It's garbage to begin with, but then it took off in the midwest bar scene as a 2:28 AM jukebox darling for the fat chick, methy, Serenity Prayer tattoo-sporting crowd at closing time.

Never failed. Last call hits and some 33 year old Large Marge in Green Bay sweatpants with a tattoo on her neck saying "Perfectly Flawed" in cursive script, right next to the tattoos of her 7 kids' names in their own handwriting gets up and throws $5 in the TouchTunes machine, paying the extra to override everyone else's songs.

Then you hear the ridiculous bass note drop, she yells at the bartender, "TURN IT UP," and grabs her "liquid cocaine" drink. Walks over to her 21 year old scabby looking ginger boyfriend with the wife beater and crooked hat, straddles him on the chair and makes out the whole song. The last minute and a half everyone gets to watch it in HD because by now the bartender has flipped all the lights on and is kicking everyone out.

Does that set the scene enough for you guys?

There's no way I'm the only one who noticed that shit happen in every bar from Moline to Beatrice, NE.

Last edited:
Baby got back

The first 792,425 times I heard it I didn't mind it. The other 8,923,842 times since.....can't stand it.

The song has taken on another life with 80's nostalgia and karaoke for whatever reason I can't get away from that song.

Not a hater, kudos to Sir Mix-a-lot, that one song made him a shitload of money and will the rest of his life.

Baby got back

The first 792,425 times I heard it I didn't mind it. The other 8,923,842 times since.....can't stand it.

The song has taken on another life with 80's nostalgia and karaoke for whatever reason I can't get away from that song.

Not a hater, kudos to Sir Mix-a-lot, that one song made him a shitload of money and will the rest of his life.

There is the Gilbert and Sullivan version of Baby got Back

Baby Got Back - Gilbert and Sullivan Style - YouTube

1) Anything by Mellencamp, but especially "Jack and Diane." That song is an acoustical migraine of the highest order.

2) "Picture" by Sheryl Crow and Bob Ritchie. There's not a dumber song on the planet. It's garbage to begin with, but then it took off in the midwest bar scene as a 2:28 AM jukebox darling for the fat chick, methy, Serenity Prayer tattoo-sporting crowd at closing time.

Never failed. Last call hits and some 33 year old Large Marge in Green Bay sweatpants with a tattoo on her neck saying "Perfectly Flawed" in cursive script, right next to the tattoos of her 7 kids' names in their own handwriting gets up and throws $5 in the TouchTunes machine, paying the extra to override everyone else's songs.

Then you hear the ridiculous bass note drop, she yells at the bartender, "TURN IT UP," and grabs her "liquid cocaine" drink. Walks over to her 21 year old scabby looking ginger boyfriend with the wife beater and crooked hat, straddles him on the chair and makes out the whole song. The last minute and a half everyone gets to watch it in HD because by now the bartender has flipped all the lights on and is kicking everyone out.

There's no way I'm the only one who noticed that shit happen in every bar from Moline to Beatrice, NE.

I love some of those Mellencamp jams. Immediately puts me back at Pizza Hut in Dodge with a few quarters in my pocket for the arcade or at the skating rink.

I lived in Japan when "Picture" was released and I honestly think I heard it for the first time over the summer this past year. I think it's an okay song, but based on some of the trauma that you associate with it, I understand your hatred for it. It's certainly not a song I need to hear a thousand times or anything. I never really liked Kid Rock but I saw him open for Bon Jovi at Soldier and the guy knew exactly the sweet spot for the piss drunk members of Gen X in the crowd.

Jeezuz...I'm on a video call right now and had to turn my camera off since I couldn't stop laughing.

Winter Shade of Pale.........6 minutes of suffering from repetitive nothingness

Immigrant Song...........I think the Vikings used this when rowing their boats

F'ing nailed it. Well done.

I love some of those Mellencamp jams. Immediately puts me back at Pizza Hut in Dodge with a few quarters in my pocket for the arcade or at the skating rink.

I lived in Japan when "Picture" was released and I honestly think I heard it for the first time over the summer this past year. I think it's an okay song, but based on some of the trauma that you associate with it, I understand your hatred for it. It's certainly not a song I need to hear a thousand times or anything. I never really liked Kid Rock but I saw him open for Bon Jovi at Soldier and the guy knew exactly the sweet spot for the piss drunk members of Gen X in the crowd.

Agreed...Saw Kid Rock in Chicago at Rock Fest in 2000 or the early 2000s. Never much of a fan of his, but he was headlining with Metallica and STP so they made up for it. Definitely agree that he's a better performer than he is musician.

Latest posts