Just when you are about ready to write them off

They look like a Big Ten force. Now that was a well called game today and the team brought it. More of this please.

Two things.

1) It helped a ton that Michigan St. in the trenches was porous at best. Not sure why they didn't blitz more, but oh well. Don't they scout Iowa?
2) I do think the coaches put Petras in a better position to succeed today with the play calls.

The first 2 games still make me sick. Iowa should be 3-0 and instead they pissed away 2 games and are 1-2. We are looking at a 4-4 season AT BEST.

I like the way the defense is playing...and they will get better...they are still trying to get their sea legs...but the last 6 quarters...they have really played well.

Petras is still missing way too many throws...and very, very easy ones...and he's missing wide open guys. The throw to LaPorta in the end zone when Portopotty was wide open with no one around him is baffling. LaPorta had a guy all over him. He's still throwing fast balls from 6-7 yards where guys can't even get their hands up. Come on...that's got to be corrected. I know Stanley had issues with that too, but not to this extent. They should work 2 straight days on his screen passes. Although we eventually scored...Goodson would have scored easily on a screen. At Purdue on the final drive, a screen to Goodson would have brought us a huge gain at a critical moment and he keeps making bad screen throws under pressure. He's got to make those throws.

We just need to keep getting better...but Petras has to improve...he just needs to make the easy plays and let Smith and others help him on 50/50 balls.

Two things.

1) It helped a ton that Michigan St. in the trenches was porous at best. Not sure why they didn't blitz more, but oh well. Don't they scout Iowa?
2) I do think the coaches put Petras in a better position to succeed today with the play calls.
Brian had a game plan the roll outs, quick hitters on crossing patterns, quick outs to the receivers and Goodson. The plan was solid, the MSU defensive line was neutralized and the OL was blowing holes for the backs.

I like the way the defense is playing...and they will get better...they are still trying to get their sea legs...but the last 6 quarters...they have really played well.

Petras is still missing way too many throws...and very, very easy ones...and he's missing wide open guys. The throw to LaPorta in the end zone when Portopotty was wide open with no one around him is baffling. LaPorta had a guy all over him. He's still throwing fast balls from 6-7 yards where guys can't even get their hands up. Come on...that's got to be corrected. I know Stanley had issues with that too, but not to this extent. They should work 2 straight days on his screen passes. Although we eventually scored...Goodson would have scored easily on a screen. At Purdue on the final drive, a screen to Goodson would have brought us a huge gain at a critical moment and he keeps making bad screen throws under pressure. He's got to make those throws.

We just need to keep getting better...but Petras has to improve...he just needs to make the easy plays and let Smith and others help him on 50/50 balls.
Petras did throw a few balls that were too high and fast and tipped that could have been pick 6 - but they were not.

Petras looked noticeably more confident today. Some really nicely executed throws, much better touch on the ball, and more comfortable looking in the pocket. It's his 3rd ever start, we should expect to see improvement - it's a good thing. Give him some time, you can bet he's working his tail off and getting great support.

Hopefully today can be a confidence builder going forward. I don't think this is a world beating Iowa squad, but they are, yet again, exceptionally well coached in the fundamentals and far from hopeless. I think 4-4 would look exceptionally good after how things looked after the first 2 games.

Not sure where Petras improved much, as he wasn't much over 50% and 167 yards against a brutal MSU defense. You can say the exact same things about him that we did about Stanley, but I think even worse. He has no touch at all, throws 100mph even when the receiver is 5 yards away, misses too many receivers that are open, and just looks shaky. He did have a really nice throw to Ragaini in the end zone that actually had touch on it that got a PI call, but other than that he was off, and really didn't even try to throw the ball more than 10-15 yards hardly at all. Run game looked good, defense looked good, but I think much of it had to do with just how awful MSU is. They are BAD in every single phase of the game. Illinois might smoke them if they play.

Nothing about Petras looked like a force. A great team win but to quote Nacho Libre “mucho take it easy”.
I don't see why everyone is getting excited. They beat a bad team that we knew is bad . I definitely had a let down after beating the wolverines. I also see that the team is kneeling down half of them for the national anthem. Also there wearing black lives matter slogans or black life matter emblem on the back of their helmets. I don't see sparty doing this. It shows me KF and the coaches have Really don't make the decisions in the clubhouse and there scared to. Also,, the inmates are running things..I'm not jumping on the BF bandwagon just because he scored 49 points on a really bad team. He still a terrible offensive coordinator. There should be no politics in college sports or any sports.
They look like a Big Ten force. Now that was a well called game today and the team brought it. More of this please.

For some odd reason he seems to have problems throwing screen passes. Missed on a couple big gainers and prob a TD there

We played much better, and within ourselves at the very least. MSU is a bad team and we can leave it at that, just good to see a very well prepared team for the first time this year.

I don't see why everyone is getting excited. They beat a bad team that we knew is bad . I definitely had a let down after beating the wolverines. I also see that the team is kneeling down half of them for the national anthem. Also there wearing black lives matter slogans or black life matter emblem on the back of their helmets. I don't see sparty doing this. It shows me KF and the coaches have Really don't make the decisions in the clubhouse and there scared to. Also,, the inmates are running things..I'm not jumping on the BF bandwagon just because he scored 49 points on a really bad team. He still a terrible offensive coordinator. There should be no politics in college sports or any sports.
There should also be no politics in the Football thread. But you started it... WTF is your problem with young people performing an act that in no way, shape, or form impacts your life? Turn off the Fox News, OAN, Newsmax, Trump Twitter feed or where ever it is that you get your opinions.

We will see LOVE the beat down on Sparty it helps me get the D'Antonio taste out my mouth. But realistically this was the bludgeoning of a BAD Spartan football team nothing more. I've said it all along they don't pay Phil Parker enough he keeps us in every game and covers up alot of incompetence on the offense.

I won’t argue that MSU is a good football team. I will argue that Iowa played excellent football, offense, defense, special teams, turnovers , penalties. Two O line starters out and 226 yards and 4 rushing TD’s. Decent passing attack. Good pass rush. Lots of things Iowa did would have occurred against a better team, so there is that. Of course, I am really disappointed by our 0-2 start, but everyone else on our schedule looks vulnerable.

The first 2 games still make me sick. Iowa should be 3-0 and instead they pissed away 2 games and are 1-2. We are looking at a 4-4 season AT BEST.
That's exactly what I predicted as well. I liked that we were way more aggressively attacking and flying to the ball

Latest posts