Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

This may have been mentioned already on here before but I just heard a guest on CNN talking about the risk of Coronavirus to players, fans, and coaches. He then stated that the Ivy League has already cancelled all Fall sports programs.

I know their not a power five conference and don’t generate the big revenue but I suspect other conferences will follow, unless something dramatically changes to improve the virus spread.

I certainly hope I am wrong. I am hoping to see Goodson run wild and to see if we can get the ball to a talented receiving Corp.

It's not the Ivy. It's the virus. In the summer cases should be down and they are growing. Deaths are growing. Texas and Florida the bastions of defiance are getting swamped. Refrigerator trucks are being called in. AZ is on that list. It's not just old men

It's not the Ivy. It's the virus. In the summer cases should be down and they are growing. Deaths are growing. Texas and Florida the bastions of defiance are getting swamped. Refrigerator trucks are being called in. AZ is on that list. It's not just old men

I agree and I don’t see it getting better by kickoff time. Do you?

@RobHowe

No offense but this dump-all thread has become sort of a dump. It’s hard to find the latest news on COVID affecting the players, developments in the fall football season (and all fall sports for that matter), developments in the football investigation.

Too much stuff is getting thrown in here; difficult to sort out.

The suggestions you made at the end of your other short-lived thread made sense:

“I was thinking one for COVID as it relates to Iowa sports and another for the investigation into Iowa Football and anything related to that.”

I agree. I will make two threads, one for the COVID convo as it relates to Hawkeye Sports and one for the Iowa football investigation.

The reason I went to a catch-all thread was because people were complaining that the board was overrun with threads not talking about sports. As we can see, these are the topics people want to talk about. I wrote two football-only columns and posted this week and it generated very little discussion.

I agree. I will make two threads, one for the COVID convo as it relates to Hawkeye Sports and one for the Iowa football investigation.

The reason I went to a catch-all thread was because people were complaining that the board was overrun with threads not talking about sports. As we can see, these are the topics people want to talk about. I wrote two football-only columns and posted this week and it generated very little discussion.

Good idea on two different threads.

I think people would talk about the football stuff, but so many of us are skeptical that a season will actually take place that it seems kind of pointless. Kind of like trying to get excited for Christmas when you know Santa's not stopping by your house.

I think the question is if you took out the athletic department scholarships, could you otherwise fill those seats at the same marginal price that the athletic department is paying and I think on that, the answer is a resounding no for a school like Iowa. The athletic department fills a lot of full freight out of state scholarships. Iowa doesn't have the draw to fill those. The girl from Maryland who goes to Iowa to do rowing ain't going to Iowa and paying $31,000 per year of out of state tuition. It simply isn't going to happen, but the athletic department will gladly give her a scholarship funded by the football donations and media rights deals and the general university can then park an ass in a seat at $31k.

Honestly, only the really elite schools could readily substitute out the athletic department seats at full tuition.

I see what you are saying and I agree. The UI academic recruiters could I am sure go out and find 40-50 more in-state high school grads or community college students to come to Iowa to replace missing athletic scholarship students.

By really elite schools to you mean the schools targeted by Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman in their scandalous activity?

I see what you are saying and I agree. The UI academic recruiters could I am sure go out and find 40-50 more in-state high school grads or community college students to come to Iowa to replace missing athletic scholarship students.

By really elite schools to you mean the schools targeted by Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman in their scandalous activity?

IL and some other Big schools turn away a lot of good applicants and wouldn't have issues. Iowa on the other hand might not have a large pool waiting of good candidates.

Deaths are not growing. Death rate is down 90% from April.

Healthy people getting tested and with positive results was expected all along. The spike in southwest states are in the border counties.
Mexico is testing at 50% positive.

Border. Counties.

Florida, the first/second geriatric State in the country is not above the death rate of 2018

Only 91 15-24 year olds have died with/because of Wuhan flu. 151 have died from pneumonia.

If there’s no football and to a lesser extent no men’s basketball then what’s the point of sites like this or ESPN or BTN or ...

Seems like a lot of journalists, talking heads, and writing heads are on a sprint to show that they are non-essential workers.

Sports journalists are not rooting for a continued cancelation of live sports.

And we've never been essential workers. It's sports. It's reporting on entertainment. In the grand scheme of things, it's trivial.

Deaths are not growing. Death rate is down 90% from April.

Healthy people getting tested and with positive results was expected all along. The spike in southwest states are in the border counties.
Mexico is testing at 50% positive.

Border. Counties.

Florida, the first/second geriatric State in the country is not above the death rate of 2018

Only 91 15-24 year olds have died with/because of Wuhan flu. 151 have died from pneumonia.

Anything else you want to argue about.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...sed-hundreds-of-additional-deaths-in-florida/

Thanks Rob.

Of course in your own quoted source there’s some “may”’or “unclear” or unknown and especially these two ... “Florida” and “ending April 25”
So who is arguing?

Why are you so flaky because I put CDC numbers that make you conclude I’m the one “arguing”?
Do you have a pre-determined outcome and that any numbers that shed some sunlight different than what your clinging to means that you have to throw shade.

Some more good news for you: the ash heaps that were Spain and Italy have been playing soccer and basketball for weeks = no body bags.

Of course in your own quoted source there’s some “may”’or “unclear” or unknown and especially these two ... “Florida” and “ending April 25”
So who is arguing?

Why are you so flaky because I put CDC numbers that make you conclude I’m the one “arguing”?
Do you have a pre-determined outcome and that any numbers that shed some sunlight different than what your clinging to means that you have to throw shade.

Some more good news for you: the ash heaps that were Spain and Italy have been playing soccer and basketball for weeks = no body bags.

It is unpredictable. I would guess being outdoors helps whereas the sun belt is too hot. I suppose Houston and
Phoenix are expendable?

It's just not as simple as you expressed.

We know the economic situation is serious.
gdpnow-forecast-evolution.gif