Next years team could be SALTY

koralakers

We lose Kreiner, Pemsl, and Evelyn for sure. If Luka and JW stay, and no major transfers, and JBo gets MRS, plus a nice recruiting class coming. Man it feels like a top 10 team. Am I wrong to feel that?

Pemsl technically has another year of eligibility but I do think this will be his last in a hawk uniform for some reason.

The team on paper looks very good. Almost to the point where you think about having a decent chance to win the league. Before that discussion can happen though I think this group will have to learn to win on the road, which you can’t do (with any consistency) by playing poor defense. So the defense will have to improve (which is possible).

It’s fun to think about but who knows on Garza and Wieskamp. Think we gotta just enjoy this ride that we are on right now and enjoy this years team. After last offseason anything can happen.

I think Pemsl returns and surprises everyone by fulfilling the early promise he showed when thrown into the fire as a Freshman when Cook was injured early on. As I recall Cordell went up against a very good 5th year Senior at Notre Dame and pretty much took his lunch money.

I think the kid can play at a high level but has been hampered by the strange injury he's had to deal with. I think he's 100% healthy next year and will be a force.

Pemsl technically has another year of eligibility but I do think this will be his last in a hawk uniform for some reason.

The team on paper looks very good. Almost to the point where you think about having a decent chance to win the league. Before that discussion can happen though I think this group will have to learn to win on the road, which you can’t do (with any consistency) by playing poor defense. So the defense will have to improve (which is possible).

It’s fun to think about but who knows on Garza and Wieskamp. Think we gotta just enjoy this ride that we are on right now and enjoy this years team. After last offseason anything can happen.

I'd say Bohannon knows how to win on the road and Garza can play good anywhere. Sure seems like CJ won't have a problem with it (the 2 worst road losses were pretty much without CJ). I've got a good feeling about next year, which means something shitty will happen.

I'd say Bohannon knows how to win on the road and Garza can play good anywhere. Sure seems like CJ won't have a problem with it (the 2 worst road losses were pretty much without CJ). I've got a good feeling about next year, which means something shitty will happen.
I just don’t think you can win on the road with any consistently with poor defense. As they say defense travels. Again this was if we ever get to a place where we are discussing a B1G title. I do feel we will have a very good team. I could be wrong but I don’t think we beat a NCAA tournament team on the road last year, despite having a pretty decent year.

I think this team can win home or away. We beat Texas Tech and Cincinnati on neutral courts...and hung with San Diego State. No road games in the NCAA Tournament.

Agreed. need to just enjoy the ride, as next year is a long way away and a million things can happen. Forgot Pemsl can come back! That's awesome. Just nice to be excited about hoops present and possibly future!

I think Pemsl returns and surprises everyone by fulfilling the early promise he showed when thrown into the fire as a Freshman when Cook was injured early on. As I recall Cordell went up against a very good 5th year Senior at Notre Dame and pretty much took his lunch money.

I think the kid can play at a high level but has been hampered by the strange injury he's had to deal with. I think he's 100% healthy next year and will be a force.
Yes, I love Cordell. For some reason I thought this was his last yr of eligibility. Glad to hear get one more year!

I just don’t think you can win on the road with any consistently with poor defense. As they say defense travels. Again this was if we ever get to a place where we are discussing a B1G title. I do feel we will have a very good team. I could be wrong but I don’t think we beat a NCAA tournament team on the road last year, despite having a pretty decent year.

This team doesn't play poor defense tho. Last year's team did. CJ is a big upgrade over Moss. Garza improved a ton. Cook and Moss are gone. Hopefully Bohannon will look better on defense as a 5th year healthy senior.

This team doesn't play poor defense tho. Last year's team did. CJ is a big upgrade over Moss. Garza improved a ton. Cook and Moss are gone. Hopefully Bohannon will look better on defense as a 5th year healthy senior.
This team absolutely still plays poor defense for stretches and games. It’s what almost cost them the game the other night despite a great offensive night.

Eli Brooks got more uncontested jump shots on Friday then he will in his next three games combined. The breakdowns are so apparent, none moreso than the end of half allowing a guy into the lane for an easy basket. Second half Pemsl switching out onto Simpson giving up baseline and not a single hawkeye even looking to help.

Now we play better defense than the last two years sure, and it’s very reasonable to think we can improve even more next year, the question is how much. Again I’m looking at this from a perspective of if we get to a point where we are considered a threat to win the conference (that’s a high expectation but not out of the question based on what we could return).

But yes we still play poor defense. I won’t even bring in the numbers because the eye test is pretty much all you need.

This team absolutely still plays poor defense for stretches and games. It’s what almost cost them the game the other night despite a great offensive night.

Eli Brooks got more uncontested jump shots on Friday then he will in his next three games combined. The breakdowns are so apparent, none moreso than the end of half allowing a guy into the lane for an easy basket. Second half Pemsl switching out onto Simpson giving up baseline and not a single hawkeye even looking to help.

Now we play better defense than the last two years sure, and it’s very reasonable to think we can improve even more next year, the question is how much. Again I’m looking at this from a perspective of if we get to a point where we are considered a threat to win the conference (that’s a high expectation but not out of the question based on what we could return).

But yes we still play poor defense. I won’t even bring in the numbers because the eye test is pretty much all you need.

Most teams play poor defense for stretches. The ones who don't are the ones who have great defenses. That won't be us. Michigan is a pretty good defense and we scored 90. Sometimes the offense wins.

If everyone comes back and stays healthy, I expect to have the number 1 offense in the nation. Or at least really close to it. Garza will be the best scoring big in the nation. We will have time of the top 10 (top 5?) 3 point shooters in the conference. And Fran is an offensive coach who prioritizes the offensive end. That spells top offense in the nation. We will have defensive lapses for sure. The question is, can this roster clamp down and get stops when needed? I think they can and they will.

I think a healthy Nunge can more than replace Kreiner and I'm hoping Pemsl comes back as well, his depth is valuable. If Garza and Weiskamp return next season it might be the best team we've seen since the mid 80s.

I'm dreaming on next years team too but this year isn't over.

I think this team can win home or away. We beat Texas Tech and Cincinnati on neutral courts...and hung with San Diego State. No road games in the NCAA Tournament.

Unless you're playing Duke in Greensboro. ;) But for the most part, that's true. Iowa beat Cincinnati in Columbus last year IIRC, right?

I love how there is ALWAYS a site in NC.. It's always kind of steamed my clams that the top seeds basically get to play on their home courts and it's called a "neutral" court. It'd be nice if Iowa got to even play an NCAA game in the Midwest for a change. When's the last time that happened? Minneapolis in 1991?

Ok, that's my mini rant for the day.

Last edited:
Unless you're playing Duke in Greensboro. ;) But for the most part, that's true. Iowa beat Cincinnati in Columbus last year IIRC, right?

I love how there is ALWAYS a site in NC.. It's always kind of steamed my clams that the top seeds basically get to play on their home courts and it's called a "neutral" court. It'd be nice if Iowa got to even play an NCAA game in the Midwest for a change. When's the last time that happened? Minneapolis in 1991? Ok, that's my mini rant for the day.

I agree. Some nearby sites for the first weekend this year are Omaha, St. Louis, Dayton, Cleveland. Midwest Regional is in Indy. Need to take care of business and finish at least 4th in the B1G to control some of this.

Most teams play poor defense for stretches. The ones who don't are the ones who have great defenses. That won't be us. Michigan is a pretty good defense and we scored 90. Sometimes the offense wins.

If everyone comes back and stays healthy, I expect to have the number 1 offense in the nation. Or at least really close to it. Garza will be the best scoring big in the nation. We will have time of the top 10 (top 5?) 3 point shooters in the conference. And Fran is an offensive coach who prioritizes the offensive end. That spells top offense in the nation. We will have defensive lapses for sure. The question is, can this roster clamp down and get stops when needed? I think they can and they will.
Michigan ranks 52nd in adjusted defense. That’s closer to pretty bad than pretty good for a B1G team in my opinion.

Agree on Iowa being an elite offensive team next year with all the pieces back. Where that leaves us overall is the question. We can be very good, possibly/likely Fran’s best team, can you win a B1G title with poor/average defense, I’m not so sure.