Next years team could be SALTY

I incorrectly assumed that Pat would be an impact player this year but vastly underestimated the wear and tear college practices would take on him. I think we'll all be left with some lingering concerns until we see him play a string of games together.
I’m probably going to take some heat for this, and I’m by no means an expert or want to sound like I’m lessening the severity of cancer, but I’m not so sure whatever Pat was going through was as big of a deal as has been portrayed.

Honestly every picture of the team practicing I’ve seen throughout the year you can see Pat suited up like everyone else. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that Fran and Pat saw a situation where we had a lot of guys getting minutes and Patrick still a little underweight and thought maybe it would make more sense to redshirt this year. I vividly remember a play from the Depaul game where a guy just out muscled Pat under the hoop for a board and easy put back two. I think that could of been part of the realization he just wasn’t physically ready.

Again I’m just putting that out there. I could be wrong, I’m sure I’ll be told I’m wrong. Pat has been through a ton and more and I’m not looking to discredit that. I’m just one of those people that doesn’t always believe everything I’m told. I think we kind of manipulated the system with Pemsl last year, and we certainly did this year with Jbo as well, and hey there is nothing wrong with playing inside the rules, it just makes me think it’s quite possible here.

21, if you think that Fran would rather play Till than his Top 50 son during a year whether this team has a possible consensus All-American and a shot at a decent tournament run, all to hide the fact that he is "a bit skinny," you are nutso. Nutso!! This team is desperate for quality depth, especially at the wing. And from what little sample size I saw of Patrick, I think he was far more ready to play at this level than Touissant.

No reason to invent a conspiracy theory. Pat is adjusting to his treatment and will take a redshirt. Let's hope he is locked and loaded for a title run next year.

21, if you think that Fran would rather play Till than his Top 50 son during a year whether this team has a possible consensus All-American and a shot at a decent tournament run, all to hide the fact that he is "a bit skinny," you are nutso. Nutso!! This team is desperate for quality depth, especially at the wing. And from what little sample size I saw of Patrick, I think he was far more ready to play at this level than Touissant.

No reason to invent a conspiracy theory. Pat is adjusting to his treatment and will take a redshirt. Let's hope he is locked and loaded for a title run next year.
You have to understand that Pat was shut down after the Depaul game. That was before we lost Nunge to a season ending injury. That was before we knew for sure on what Jbo was doing. That was before we knew Fredrick would miss games for injury. That was before we knew Garza would dominate like this.

The bottom line is this. I hope we get a healthy Pat back next year and the redshirt year ends up being a huge benefit for him as a player.

Last edited:
I’m probably going to take some heat for this, and I’m by no means an expert or want to sound like I’m lessening the severity of cancer, but I’m not so sure whatever Pat was going through was as big of a deal as has been portrayed.

Honestly every picture of the team practicing I’ve seen throughout the year you can see Pat suited up like everyone else. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that Fran and Pat saw a situation where we had a lot of guys getting minutes and Patrick still a little underweight and thought maybe it would make more sense to redshirt this year. I vividly remember a play from the Depaul game where a guy just out muscled Pat under the hoop for a board and easy put back two. I think that could of been part of the realization he just wasn’t physically ready.

Again I’m just putting that out there. I could be wrong, I’m sure I’ll be told I’m wrong. Pat has been through a ton and more and I’m not looking to discredit that. I’m just one of those people that doesn’t always believe everything I’m told. I think we kind of manipulated the system with Pemsl last year, and we certainly did this year with Jbo as well, and hey there is nothing wrong with playing inside the rules, it just makes me think it’s quite possible here.

I've almost said the same thing quite a few times on here but decided against it due to how it would sound. You worded it pretty delicately. I think it's entirely possible they decided he wasn't physically ready after it was too late to redshirt so decided to go this route. It's not a total lie because it's true that the cancer is the reason he's not physically ready. Once all the injuries piled up, it would have been unfair to Patrick to start him back up after missing so much of the year.

I think next year's death lineup will consist of Garza/CJ/Wieskamp/JBo and the fifth player determined by who our opposition is and allows us the luxury of adding that specialty piece. CMac will definitely play a lot of minutes, and should, because of his ability to defend and IQ. JoeT could play when we want to go quicker, and/or have an on-ball defender for quick point guards. Nunge would be a huge mismatch, providing 4 three point shooters to surround Garza. How fun would that be? And we have no idea how PMac will fit in, but I am sure he will just compliment the team and not take away from it.

If we assume that everyone is coming back and healthy, this team will be beyond salty. They could be filthy.

If this works out, you slide Jabo back to the point, JW and CJ at the wings, and I am hard pressed to remove CM from the starting line-up the way he glues it all together. Imagine Garza being just as good next year, even better. So you got a 20+ a night center. And when you double or triple him, you have three perimeter guys who are all above 40% three point shooters.

Yes, the defense will be a bit worse with Bohannon, but you have a starting line-up that alone should average 65-70 points a night. We should be able to just outscore most teams most nights.

You still have Joe T and Nunge off the bench, plus I assume a couple incoming frosh who can contribute. Filthy.
How ironic would it be if your all white starting five are playing for a National Championship against an all black starting five for Kentucky. The media would have fun with that!

How ironic would it be if your all white starting five are playing for a National Championship against an all black starting five for Kentucky. The media would have fun with that!

The liberal media would roast Fran and the university over the coals for being so racist they wouldn't allow a black player on the team! Its just the world we live in.

Kriener has shot the ball well this year, but it seems he basically has to be wide open for him to take it and make it. Nunge on the other had has a quicker and higher release. He almost looked like a guard on some of his shots. Now I don’t think it will be in our best interest for him to be pulling contested threes next year but it’s possible he’s a pretty good shooter. As you also said he made a few mid range shots against that zone that looked pretty pure and repeatable for him.

I was always pretty high on Nunge, and maybe too high, but his sample size this year was way too small for me to make a sweeping judgement about who he was as a player.
Before the start of this season, I had been hoping for an all big 10 type season out of Nunge. All I was saying was that he was not off to that kind of start. It is no certainty for me now that he will be better than Kreiner next season.

Latest posts