IowaLaw's Post-Game Analysis: Minnesota

IowaLawWasRight

A 23-19 win against an undefeated top 10 team salvaged the season for the Hawks. Wins against lowly Illinois and Nebraska will set this team up for a 10 win season...and extremely rare accomplishment at Iowa.

1. Tyler Goodson - Vindication for those of us who feel Kirk has a history of failing to always start his best players. Against Northwestern, Goodson got just 2 carries in the first half. Against Wisconsin, he had 5 carries total. This week, meritocracy finally prevailed. Goodson had 13 rushes for 94 yards (7.2 yards per carry) in the first 3 quarters. By comparison, Sargent, who has double the carries this the season, averaged just 3 yards today. We may never know why Oliver Martin hasn't been targeted in the past 5 games but had no problem seeing the field at Michigan, but at least Goodson is finally getting the carries he deserves. Maybe LaPorta will start getting starter reps as well?

2. Kristian Welch - What a difference having Welch back makes on defense. Welch and crew held Rodney Smith to 14 rushes for 46 yards. He had 11 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss, so it's hard not to wonder how much better the D would have played with him in there the past few weeks instead of a freshmen who was absolutely gashed by Jonathan Taylor last week.

3. Nate Stanley - Uggg. Once again, the Hawks won in spite of Stanley. His stats were average for a game manager, completing 14-23 for 173. By comparison, Minn's sophomore QB, who was playing in his first hostile environment, completed 25-36 for 368 against Iowa's top 10 defense. As has come to be expected, Nate had head scratching over throws, under throws, and unnecessary sacks in situations where most QBs would have had enough composure to throw the ball away. But where his randying around was most evident was on Iowa's last drive, nursing a small lead and trying to run the clock out with 3 min to go in the game. Nate leads the Big 10 in delay of game penalties, yet somehow when he actually needs to play slow, he clueless sprinted to a 3 and out, running just 1:30 of the clock, and failing to convert on yet another clutch 3rd down where he choked. The guy's not clutch, and there's no sense expecting that to change.

4. DLine - This game was won by the DLine. AJE enhanced his NFL draft highlight video with 2.5 sacks, Goldston & Lattimore each had 3 tackles, and Nixon was a beast clogging the middle. But perhaps most impressive to me was the play of the lesser hyped guys like Reiff and Joe Evans, who combined for 2 sacks up the middle. The DLine had a lot to prove after Wisconsin shredded them, and they stepped up.

5. Tyrone Tracy - I don't know where Tracy was in the beginning of the season, but he's come on since Smith's injury to become a solid #1 option in the receiving corp. 6 catches for 77 yards (and 11 yards rushing) after 5 catches for 130 yards last week. We're finally getting the kind of productivity out of our WRs that other schools expect on a weekly basis (by comparison, Minn's Johnson had 180 yrds receiving against us today and Wisconsin's Cephus had 94 yrds against us last week). The bottom line: being "tight end U" is nice, but having average to above average WRs who can make explosive plays is even better.

A 23-19 win against an undefeated top 10 team salvaged the season for the Hawks. Wins against lowly Illinois and Nebraska will set this team up for a 10 win season...and extremely rare accomplishment at Iowa.

1. Tyler Goodson - Vindication for those of us who feel Kirk has a history of failing to always start his best players. Against Northwestern, Goodson got just 2 carries in the first half. Against Wisconsin, he had 5 carries total. This week, meritocracy finally prevailed. Goodson had 13 rushes for 94 yards (7.2 yards per carry) in the first 3 quarters. By comparison, Sargent, who has double the carries this the season, averaged just 3 yards today. We may never know why Oliver Martin hasn't been targeted in the past 5 games but had no problem seeing the field at Michigan, but at least Goodson is finally getting the carries he deserves. Maybe LaPorta will start getting starter reps as well?

2. Kristian Welch - What a difference having Welch back makes on defense. Welch and crew held Rodney Smith to 14 rushes for 46 yards. He had 11 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss, so it's hard not to wonder how much better the D would have played with him in there the past few weeks instead of a freshmen who was absolutely gashed by Jonathan Taylor last week.

3. Nate Stanley - Uggg. Once again, the Hawks won in spite of Stanley. His stats were average for a game manager, completing 14-23 for 173. By comparison, Minn's sophomore QB, who was playing in his first hostile environment, completed 25-36 for 368 against Iowa's top 10 defense. As has come to be expected, Nate had head scratching over throws, under throws, and unnecessary sacks in situations where most QBs would have had enough composure to throw the ball away. But where his randying around was most evident was on Iowa's last drive, nursing a small lead and trying to run the clock out with 3 min to go in the game. Nate leads the Big 10 in delay of game penalties, yet somehow when he actually needs to play slow, he clueless sprinted to a 3 and out, running just 1:30 of the clock, and failing to convert on yet another clutch 3rd down where he choked. The guy's not clutch, and there's no sense expecting that to change.

4. DLine - This game was won by the DLine. AJE enhanced his NFL draft highlight video with 2.5 sacks, Goldston & Lattimore each had 3 tackles, and Nixon was a beast clogging the middle. But perhaps most impressive to me was the play of the lesser hyped guys like Reiff and Joe Evans, who combined for 2 sacks up the middle. The DLine had a lot to prove after Wisconsin shredded them, and they stepped up.

5. Tyrone Tracy - I don't know where Tracy was in the beginning of the season, but he's come on since Smith's injury to become a solid #1 option in the receiving corp. 6 catches for 77 yards (and 11 yards rushing) after 5 catches for 130 yards last week. We're finally getting the kind of productivity out of our WRs that other schools expect on a weekly basis (by comparison, Minn's Johnson had 180 yrds receiving against us today and Wisconsin's Cephus had 94 yrds against us last week). The bottom line: being "tight end U" is nice, but having average to above average WRs who can make explosive plays is even better.
It looked like we made an adjustment to get Eppy home to the quarterback. In the first half they were chipping him with a tight end or H-Back. It was slowing his pass rush just enough.

As the game progressed he was coming at the QB more inside and up the middle. His strip sack and near turnover was a thing of beauty, and the Minnesota blocking back who had just been left in the dust was lucky to recover the fumble.

Minnesota was taking poor tackling angles early and overpursueing. Goodson and Tracy, in particular were taking advantage.

Goodson getting the start was a welcomed sight, he played exceptionally well. The BF offense still only managed a mere 290’yards however, which is anemic at best. The lack of production was somewhat masked by a little more aggressive first half of play calling, then back to his DNA where vanilla reigns supreme. BF is a bottom quadrant OC for a power 5 conference, if not worse. I’d rather the keys be turned over to O’Keefe. The DL played large in this win as BF went out of his way to get Iowa on the wrong end of this one.

Last edited:

Dumb

I don't know what game you were watching, but it obviously wasn't the Iowa-Minnesota game. Stanley played a great game, he was dropping dimes all over the place. The guy has a big time arm and he showed it off yesterday. The one over-throw to ISM was because of the hold that wasn't called, and there were some drops in there as well. No picks, made the right reads, put the ball continually where only our guy could get it, and played like a warrior. Oh yeah, didn't he pick up a first down with his legs too?

Overall I give you a solid D-minus on your analysis.

Nate played better than Iowa Law is giving him credit for, and in fact had a few WR drops that hurt his stat line. The offense this time came to play for the most part (esp 1st half), and it was the (pass) defense that almost blew this one. My complaint about the offense is that the running plays were very vanilla in the 2nd half, other than the designed QB runs (which I am in favor of in generally).

Old Iowa teams would've never had to give the ball back to the opponent with 2 min left, like this one repeatedly does. I really do think a change needs to be made at O-line coach unless Polasek is some kind of O-line guru who really does know what he is doing (not convinced of that myself, from what I've seen this year).

Well I guess it only took our coaches 9 games to figure out Goodson is by far our best back, and even then they stopped using him. Nate, meh, he is what he is. His long ball is terrible. If he has all day to stand in the pocket and throw short to medium range passes he can manage the game, but that's about it. It was good to see him have a couple of nice scrambles, one of which picked up a big first down. 14/23 for 173 against a bad defense is not a stellar day. He does have a cannon for an arm though, that is evident. The opening pass to ISM was a td, but he under threw it. Then in the first half he over threw him again, which should have been another td. The one drop that Tracy had was a little high and behind Tracy and the db batted it out of his hands. If the ball is put on the numbers out front of Tracy its a catch. Senior qb should not be making those mistakes still. ISM had a drop, and I believe Tracy had another drop. Morgan, only a sophomore, playing in that environment was impressive, and he was putting the ball on the money all day long other than maybe 1-2 throws. His receivers had 2-3 drops, and one that cost them the game on the 4th and 5 when Belton got the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Defensive backs were not good, but there were times we really didn't pressure Morgan much. Epenesa showed up in a big way finally, and played very well. Welch made a HUGE difference, and we will miss him next year. Koerner has absolutely no business even being on the field. The guy is totally lost out there, not athletic enough, and I don't see how he took the spot from Merriweather. Other than KF loves the white walk on story at safety. Merriweather might as well transfer because Koerner will have that spot until he graduates no matter how bad he plays, and it would be pretty hard to play worse than he did yesterday. I find it hard to believe that Merriweather is worse than that, and I thought players don't lose their spot due to injury, so he should at least be given a chance in games since he is healthy again, especially when the guy ahead of him is performing that poorly. Great win for the Hawks, and PJ Fleck is annoying as hell. I have a feeling his schtick will get old if they stop winning games.

Iowas possessions

TD - only missed throw was first underthrown ball.
TD - money
TD - money
Punt - inside our own 10, ran the ball to run clock.

Half

Punt - dropped passes by tracy and nico puts us in 3rd 10, an coverage nobody open, sack pressure up middle. A throw away is best, a sack is next and a pick there is worst.

Punt - failed reverse to ISM on 1st 10, but gotta love call as minnesota was over pursuing and blitzing and no over top safety. 2nd 10 was near catch by ISM, not really drop but stanley threw it where only his guy could get it. 3rd and long sack. Man coverage, nobody open, pressure up the middle. Not a huge play here, this drive nor the last we weren't in field goal range and had to punt from near midfield anyway.

FG - no reason to be aggressive here, a FG makes it a 2 score game so don't force anything. The throw to tracy was the right throw just no space. Stanley made all the right decisions here considering Goodson is out and we have no jump ball receiver or tight end.

Punt - minnesota has 1 timeout and they onside kick it, we up 4. Don't throw an incompletion, don't go out of bounds. Make them burn the timeout and run clock. Great to get a first down but they will load the box. Indictment on running game, not stanley.

Read all that. Go back and watch the game. Tell me where stanley could have been better. Then come back and give me your analysis.

I think we win the Wisconsin game if Welch was healthy. That was a big loss that without it we might have won the west.

I think Meriweather might be red shirting because he was hurt so much of the season. Could be wrong there tho.

Northside - moving AJE around on the DLine was exactly what he needed to change tenancies and keep the OL off guard. This should be done nearly every series. Not having a dominant pass rush is the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's. Without doing that, Big 10 left tackles are on to him and know his bull rush routine.

Arkansas - fair point. While it seemed like the offense had a great game because we came out on the winning edge and had a few big plays, the truth is, Iowa didn't even have 300 yards of total offense. Minnesota's sophomore QB threw for 370 yards alone. Without an elite defense, Brian's offense would lead to a .500 record.

Dirt - glad to hear you think Nate Stanley is a stud who played a "great game" and picked up first downs "like a warrior." The stat sheet (and anyone who watched the 4th quarter where the Hawks needed a leader to step up) tells otherwise. Nate had 8 carries for...1 yard. On Iowa's last offensive series, where he hiked the ball with 14 seconds left on the play clock rather than running out the clock and not giving Minn a chance to win, Nate panicked and ran the ball on 3rd down for no gain rather than doing what an all-Big 10 QB would do and rise to the occasion. If the defense hadn't stepped up huge on Minnesota's last possession, Minnesota wins, the season's over, and the loss is solely attributed to Stanley's poor clock management and choking under pressure.

Caddy - unfortunately, you are right about Merriweather. Once a guy plays in a game under Ferentz, he receives a union card and there is virtually nothing a backup can do to beat out a starter. DJ Johnson is likely jumping to the transfer portal after this year, as is Merriweather. If Oliver Martin didn't love Iowa City so much, it would be in his best interests to look elsewhere as well, as Ragaini is just a freshmen and is never going to lose his union card regardless of drops.

Northside - moving AJE around on the DLine was exactly what he needed to change tenancies and keep the OL off guard. This should be done nearly every series. Not having a dominant pass rush is the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's. Without doing that, Big 10 left tackles are on to him and know his bull rush routine.

Arkansas - fair point. While it seemed like the offense had a great game because we came out on the winning edge and had a few big plays, the truth is, Iowa didn't even have 300 yards of total offense. Minnesota's sophomore QB threw for 370 yards alone. Without an elite defense, Brian's offense would lead to a .500 record.

Dirt - glad to hear you think Nate Stanley is a stud who played a "great game" and picked up first downs "like a warrior." The stat sheet (and anyone who watched the 4th quarter where the Hawks needed a leader to step up) tells otherwise. Nate had 8 carries for...1 yard. On Iowa's last offensive series, where he hiked the ball with 14 seconds left on the play clock rather than running out the clock and not giving Minn a chance to win, Nate panicked and ran the ball on 3rd down for no gain rather than doing what an all-Big 10 QB would do and rise to the occasion. If the defense hadn't stepped up huge on Minnesota's last possession, Minnesota wins, the season's over, and the loss is solely attributed to Stanley's poor clock management and choking under pressure.

Caddy - unfortunately, you are right about Merriweather. Once a guy plays in a game under Ferentz, he receives a union card and there is virtually nothing a backup can do to beat out a starter. DJ Johnson is likely jumping to the transfer portal after this year, as is Merriweather. If Oliver Martin didn't love Iowa City so much, it would be in his best interests to look elsewhere as well, as Ragaini is just a freshmen and is never going to lose his union card regardless of drops.

You are an idiot. Right...Phil Parker is going play a guy who gives him the less of a chance to stop the other team. Wake up idiots. You aren't a top ten defense if ALL the guys on defense aren't doing their job at a high level. Our safeties have played really well. Koerner had tough game against a really good offensive team. Minnesota's passing game is good and we won't play against a more accurate QB than Morgan. Koerner has been a really good safety for a first year starter and he's more athletic than people give him credit for. He struggled yesterday though. The dropped interception was inexcusable. He just has to make that play. He bit on great play action and it cost us a touchdown. Penn State did that three times last week. Minnesota's RPO game is really good...and Morgan just doesn't miss if a guy is open.

That being said...if Merriweather outplays him in the spring and fall...he wins his job back. If he leaves, it's because he recognizes Koerners a good player and is only going to get better.

Last edited:
Iowa's defensive line killed a very good offensive line yesterday. 6 sacks against the number 8 undefeated team in the country! Their red zone offense fizzled in Kinnick!

Nate was alright. He didn't have his best game but he kept competing. Two really bad early throws. I would give him a C+ for the game. He did throw 2 TDs. Though much of those TDs were on the back of the receivers.

Tyronne Tracy. He still drops a few balls. But he is emerging as the go to guy. And he's still young! Future so bright he needs shades.

There were a lot of difference makers yesterday.

Kristian Welch. Huge getting him back. What a difference. All over the field.

AJE. We are glad your a Hawkeye! We could write a whole page of what you do in a game. Minnesota's game plan had one section devoted to avoiding AJE. For the most part they ran the ball to the right side. They rolled to the right side. In the end AJE was still a problem they couldn't handle.

Tyler Goodson. I hope he stays healthy. Like Tyrone Tracy, future is bright! I was hoping he would break 100. His speed changed Minnesota's game plan. They were expecting Sargent. The opening running plays totally had Minnesota stumped. And Goodson was the reason.

Ghost or whoever this is.......clearly are egomaniacs. As others have noted, I just enjoy reading the responses.

Iowa's defensive line killed a very good offensive line yesterday. 6 sacks against the number 8 undefeated team in the country! Their red zone offense fizzled in Kinnick!

Nate was alright. He didn't have his best game but he kept competing. Two really bad early throws. I would give him a C+ for the game. He did throw 2 TDs. Though much of those TDs were on the back of the receivers.

Tyronne Tracy. He still drops a few balls. But he is emerging as the go to guy. And he's still young! Future so bright he needs shades.

There were a lot of difference makers yesterday.

Kristian Welch. Huge getting him back. What a difference. All over the field.

AJE. We are glad your a Hawkeye! We could write a whole page of what you do in a game. Minnesota's game plan had one section devoted to avoiding AJE. For the most part they ran the ball to the right side. They rolled to the right side. In the end AJE was still a problem they couldn't handle.

Tyler Goodson. I hope he stays healthy. Like Tyrone Tracy, future is bright! I was hoping he would break 100. His speed changed Minnesota's game plan. They were expecting Sargent. The opening running plays totally had Minnesota stumped. And Goodson was the reason.
BF deserves a tip of the hat for starting Goodson. The Gophers made some good half-time adjustments by then it was too late, we had already scored 20 points.

Until the poor block on a blitz that turned into a sack, he had a great game.

One point on Tracey that I haven't seen mentioned. Let me just say that I love how he has stepped up and has played great the last several weeks. But you can't underestimate how much easier it is to the the "second" option. ISM is getting double teamed a lot and in general drawing a lot of attention. To Tracey's credit, he is capitalizing on his opportunities and credit to Stanley for recognizing him in those situations.

One point on Tracey that I haven't seen mentioned. Let me just say that I love how he has stepped up and has played great the last several weeks. But you can't underestimate how much easier it is to the the "second" option. ISM is getting double teamed a lot and in general drawing a lot of attention. To Tracey's credit, he is capitalizing on his opportunities and credit to Stanley for recognizing him in those situations.

Agreed...Tracy is a very good young player who's best days are ahead of him. That being said, playing an undefeated team this late in the season...drops are killers. We were driving and going down to get another score and likely seven, and he drops a ball he has to put away. The Minny player made a good play to knock it out...but when a receiver gets two hands on a perfectly thrown ball...he has to pull that down. We had a chance to go up 27-3...that's much different than 20-3...four scores...with our defense...turn out the lights.

He has to make that catch. An Ragaini also...he dropped the very next pass although for only a 3-4 yard gain....but Iowa is much different at 3rd and 6 as opposed to 3rd and 10.

Agreed...Tracy is a very good young player who's best days are ahead of him. That being said, playing an undefeated team this late in the season...drops are killers. We were driving and going down to get another score and likely seven, and he drops a ball he has to put away. The Minny player made a good play to knock it out...but when a receiver gets two hands on a perfectly thrown ball...he has to pull that down. We had a chance to go up 27-3...that's much different than 20-3...four scores...with our defense...turn out the lights.

He has to make that catch. An Ragaini also...he dropped the very next pass although for only a 3-4 yard gain....but Iowa is much different at 3rd and 6 as opposed to 3rd and 10.

You are nitpicking here. Tracy hands are much more reliable now than they were 6 games ago. It is all about getting Petras right moving forward. You have something special with this group.......get the QB right and you will have something special.

Latest posts