IowaLaw's Post-Game Analysis: Minnesota

It's hard not to feel like KF saw how well the offense played in the first half and was like, nope, back to what doesn't work. The offense we saw in the first half with a lot more throwing downfield smelled like BF.

Northside - moving AJE around on the DLine was exactly what he needed to change tenancies and keep the OL off guard. This should be done nearly every series. Not having a dominant pass rush is the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's. Without doing that, Big 10 left tackles are on to him and know his bull rush routine.

Arkansas - fair point. While it seemed like the offense had a great game because we came out on the winning edge and had a few big plays, the truth is, Iowa didn't even have 300 yards of total offense. Minnesota's sophomore QB threw for 370 yards alone. Without an elite defense, Brian's offense would lead to a .500 record.

Dirt - glad to hear you think Nate Stanley is a stud who played a "great game" and picked up first downs "like a warrior." The stat sheet (and anyone who watched the 4th quarter where the Hawks needed a leader to step up) tells otherwise. Nate had 8 carries for...1 yard. On Iowa's last offensive series, where he hiked the ball with 14 seconds left on the play clock rather than running out the clock and not giving Minn a chance to win, Nate panicked and ran the ball on 3rd down for no gain rather than doing what an all-Big 10 QB would do and rise to the occasion. If the defense hadn't stepped up huge on Minnesota's last possession, Minnesota wins, the season's over, and the loss is solely attributed to Stanley's poor clock management and choking under pressure.

Caddy - unfortunately, you are right about Merriweather. Once a guy plays in a game under Ferentz, he receives a union card and there is virtually nothing a backup can do to beat out a starter. DJ Johnson is likely jumping to the transfer portal after this year, as is Merriweather. If Oliver Martin didn't love Iowa City so much, it would be in his best interests to look elsewhere as well, as Ragaini is just a freshmen and is never going to lose his union card regardless of drops.

You know what stat sheet Iooked at? 23-19. That is the only one that matters.

But let's dive in to that 4th quarter where you say Stanley didn't step up like a B1G quarterback. You must not have read my drive analysis, but I will repeat.

Stanley is facing 3rd and 11 at Minnesota's 42, because of a failed reverse and a drop. We are up 20-13. We need roughly 8 or 9 yards to get in field goal range. Otherwise we punt, give them the long field. Mn blitzes, one of our guys gets beat up the middle and Stanley gets sacked. Loss of 16 yards. At that juncture, you cannot turn the ball.over and he didnt. That is what mattered.

Next possession, stanley drives us to the 10, still with the 20-13 lead. What matters here? Points. Any points makes it a 2 score game. So what is the cardinal sin? Throwing a pick, or fumbling. No need to take any chances here, especially with Goodson hurt and out of the game. There was no where to throw and he didnt make a mistake. FG.

Then the last possession, MN has 1 timeout, down 4 with what, 3 and a half minutes left? Goal here is to make MN burn their last timeout and use as much clock as you can. He did snap the ball with 12 seconds left on the play clock, and that was a mistake, maybe, but you don't know who it is on. The coaches may have wanted to have done that to try to catch MN off guard knowing that Iowa is going to run the play clock down and get a good gain. 7 or 8 on first down would have put MN in a high predicament. Or maybe it was a mistake on Stanley. But past that, what did you expect him to do? Drop back and wing it? If that backfires and there is a dropped pass on either 1st or second down, MN gets the ball back with 3 minutes left and no timeouts. Huge difference. He did the right thing.

Its situational football, and for you not understanding that and just looking at the stat sheet I downgrade you to an F. Did you even watch the game?

Northside - moving AJE around on the DLine was exactly what he needed to change tenancies and keep the OL off guard. This should be done nearly every series. Not having a dominant pass rush is the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's. Without doing that, Big 10 left tackles are on to him and know his bull rush routine.

Arkansas - fair point. While it seemed like the offense had a great game because we came out on the winning edge and had a few big plays, the truth is, Iowa didn't even have 300 yards of total offense. Minnesota's sophomore QB threw for 370 yards alone. Without an elite defense, Brian's offense would lead to a .500 record.

Dirt - glad to hear you think Nate Stanley is a stud who played a "great game" and picked up first downs "like a warrior." The stat sheet (and anyone who watched the 4th quarter where the Hawks needed a leader to step up) tells otherwise. Nate had 8 carries for...1 yard. On Iowa's last offensive series, where he hiked the ball with 14 seconds left on the play clock rather than running out the clock and not giving Minn a chance to win, Nate panicked and ran the ball on 3rd down for no gain rather than doing what an all-Big 10 QB would do and rise to the occasion. If the defense hadn't stepped up huge on Minnesota's last possession, Minnesota wins, the season's over, and the loss is solely attributed to Stanley's poor clock management and choking under pressure.

Caddy - unfortunately, you are right about Merriweather. Once a guy plays in a game under Ferentz, he receives a union card and there is virtually nothing a backup can do to beat out a starter. DJ Johnson is likely jumping to the transfer portal after this year, as is Merriweather. If Oliver Martin didn't love Iowa City so much, it would be in his best interests to look elsewhere as well, as Ragaini is just a freshmen and is never going to lose his union card regardless of drops.

Merriweather started before Kerner, so he has a "union card" as well. Plus LOL if you think Kirk is telling Phil which DB's to start/play.

You know what stat sheet Iooked at? 23-19. That is the only one that matters.

But let's dive in to that 4th quarter where you say Stanley didn't step up like a B1G quarterback. You must not have read my drive analysis, but I will repeat.

Stanley is facing 3rd and 11 at Minnesota's 42, because of a failed reverse and a drop. We are up 20-13. We need roughly 8 or 9 yards to get in field goal range. Otherwise we punt, give them the long field. Mn blitzes, one of our guys gets beat up the middle and Stanley gets sacked. Loss of 16 yards. At that juncture, you cannot turn the ball.over and he didnt. That is what mattered.

Next possession, stanley drives us to the 10, still with the 20-13 lead. What matters here? Points. Any points makes it a 2 score game. So what is the cardinal sin? Throwing a pick, or fumbling. No need to take any chances here, especially with Goodson hurt and out of the game. There was no where to throw and he didnt make a mistake. FG.

Then the last possession, MN has 1 timeout, down 4 with what, 3 and a half minutes left? Goal here is to make MN burn their last timeout and use as much clock as you can. He did snap the ball with 12 seconds left on the play clock, and that was a mistake, maybe, but you don't know who it is on. The coaches may have wanted to have done that to try to catch MN off guard knowing that Iowa is going to run the play clock down and get a good gain. 7 or 8 on first down would have put MN in a high predicament. Or maybe it was a mistake on Stanley. But past that, what did you expect him to do? Drop back and wing it? If that backfires and there is a dropped pass on either 1st or second down, MN gets the ball back with 3 minutes left and no timeouts. Huge difference. He did the right thing.

Its situational football, and for you not understanding that and just looking at the stat sheet I downgrade you to an F. Did you even watch the game?

Don't try to analyze football with these fools. They watch the game and all they do is see a play doesn't work, and that bitch about the Ferentz's. If you aren't already, start following Robbie Foley on Twitter, he does some great break down of plays. Here are a couple of his breakdowns. @IowaLawWasRight analysis is like a 1st grader compared to him.

Don't try to analyze football with these fools. They watch the game and all they do is see a play doesn't work, and that bitch about the Ferentz's. If you aren't already, start following Robbie Foley on Twitter, he does some great break down of plays. Here are a couple of his breakdowns. @IowaLawWasRight analysis is like a 1st grader compared to him.

What would our country be without those experts who tell us who to listen to? Thanks!

Iowas possessions

TD - only missed throw was first underthrown ball.
TD - money
TD - money
Punt - inside our own 10, ran the ball to run clock.

Half

Punt - dropped passes by tracy and nico puts us in 3rd 10, an coverage nobody open, sack pressure up middle. A throw away is best, a sack is next and a pick there is worst.

Punt - failed reverse to ISM on 1st 10, but gotta love call as minnesota was over pursuing and blitzing and no over top safety. 2nd 10 was near catch by ISM, not really drop but stanley threw it where only his guy could get it. 3rd and long sack. Man coverage, nobody open, pressure up the middle. Not a huge play here, this drive nor the last we weren't in field goal range and had to punt from near midfield anyway.

FG - no reason to be aggressive here, a FG makes it a 2 score game so don't force anything. The throw to tracy was the right throw just no space. Stanley made all the right decisions here considering Goodson is out and we have no jump ball receiver or tight end.

Punt - minnesota has 1 timeout and they onside kick it, we up 4. Don't throw an incompletion, don't go out of bounds. Make them burn the timeout and run clock. Great to get a first down but they will load the box. Indictment on running game, not stanley.

Read all that. Go back and watch the game. Tell me where stanley could have been better. Then come back and give me your analysis.

I really appreciate your methodical approach to kicking ass.

Urban M. Has talked extensively about pre-snap motion as a method for reading defensive strategy. He used Iowa as a clear example of its effectiveness.

I overall think we played a GREAT GAME, and I believe we got every possible ‘break’. Many of these we ‘made’ ourselves. And we really limited mistakes, instead watching opponent make them. Still only barely won, at home.

I believe MN is the better team, which makes this victory so sweet. SO MANY TIMES, I feel, WE were the better team, but lost, during KF era.

Enjoy the victory!! Play like this a couple more times, and this is a GREAT SEASON. And a case could be made, if those FOUR STUDS, don’t leave early for NFL, WE would be in the Playoff talk instead of MN!

Iowa's defensive line killed a very good offensive line yesterday. 6 sacks against the number 8 undefeated team in the country! Their red zone offense fizzled in Kinnick!

Nate was alright. He didn't have his best game but he kept competing. Two really bad early throws. I would give him a C+ for the game. He did throw 2 TDs. Though much of those TDs were on the back of the receivers.

Tyronne Tracy. He still drops a few balls. But he is emerging as the go to guy. And he's still young! Future so bright he needs shades.

There were a lot of difference makers yesterday.

Kristian Welch. Huge getting him back. What a difference. All over the field.

AJE. We are glad your a Hawkeye! We could write a whole page of what you do in a game. Minnesota's game plan had one section devoted to avoiding AJE. For the most part they ran the ball to the right side. They rolled to the right side. In the end AJE was still a problem they couldn't handle.

Tyler Goodson. I hope he stays healthy. Like Tyrone Tracy, future is bright! I was hoping he would break 100. His speed changed Minnesota's game plan. They were expecting Sargent. The opening running plays totally had Minnesota stumped. And Goodson was the reason.

"I would give him a C+ for the game. He did throw 2 TDs. Though much of those TDs were on the back of the receivers."
- Hahahaha!! This is funny. You must mean the balls that were perfectly thrown to them so they could make him look good. Jesus - you can't make this stuff up. It's priceless how silly that comment is - simply priceless. And Tyrone Tracy dropping 4 balls that all hit his hands doesn't help either. Hahahaha!!

Nice move to deflect your need to tell, instruct, teach, advise, scold, shame other fans...keep feeding that ego!

If you think you are gonna bother me by pointing out what I do to the incessantly negative posters, well it ain’t gonna work. I’m pretty happy that I annoy the shit out of that segment of “Hawk Fan”.

If you think you are gonna bother me by pointing out what I do to the incessantly negative posters, well it ain’t gonna work. I’m pretty happy that I annoy the shit out of that segment of “Hawk Fan”.
You sound very content advising and instructing the common fan

"I would give him a C+ for the game. He did throw 2 TDs. Though much of those TDs were on the back of the receivers."
- Hahahaha!! This is funny. You must mean the balls that were perfectly thrown to them so they could make him look good. Jesus - you can't make this stuff up. It's priceless how silly that comment is - simply priceless. And Tyrone Tracy dropping 4 balls that all hit his hands doesn't help either. Hahahaha!!

What are you referring to? The play where Stanley rolls right an on the run delivers a strike to Regani on the 4? And Regani powers through the defender for the TD? Or maybe the pass to ISM from the 2? Another perfectly thrown ball. Those players still had to get separation. Something that hasn't happened in a few weeks. And surprisingly, Stanley didn't throw the ball behind them.

Or maybe the many 1st down strikes to ISM and Tracy?
They didn't get into scoring position in spite of Stanley. They didn't get their because of him. They all did their job.

Last edited:

Latest posts