Miller: I was Wrong About Kirk Ferentz

Save for Minnesota and Tennessee, Iowa could have easily won every game last year with just slightly better QB play. 11-2. Many of us said it on here last year, CJB is better than Jake and Kurt knew he had to make the change. He did, and here we are with 11 wins. I don't think Iowa is an elite team by any means and I am certain that the 2008 and 2009 teams would destroy this team, but with CJB in there, we finally have an offense on par with what O'Keefe had when he left. Kurt has made some changes and appeased the fan base for now, but wait until next year, when we have lofty expectations and lose to Iowa State or Northwestern before you declare yourself wrong about Kurt. Please.

As soon as I see the name "Kurt" I automatically skip the post and move on. Grow up and use his name like a big boy.

Nice work with serving up a generous portion of crow for consumption Jon. Well done. Doesn't matter if Kirk hasn't changed all that much and if we are really not a lot better than we were last year. He did change, and we are better, and luckily for us Kirk did not change too much, as he is a class act and very good for the program in a lot of ways that aren't W related. I would not want to trade him for more W's and a coach like at OSU that is for sure..

I'll take Ferentz and an 11-0, hopefully soon to be 12-0 season, and be very Thankful this year.

Save for Minnesota and Tennessee, Iowa could have easily won every game last year with just slightly better QB play. 11-2. Many of us said it on here last year, CJB is better than Jake and Kurt knew he had to make the change. He did, and here we are with 11 wins. I don't think Iowa is an elite team by any means and I am certain that the 2008 and 2009 teams would destroy this team, but with CJB in there, we finally have an offense on par with what O'Keefe had when he left. Kurt has made some changes and appeased the fan base for now, but wait until next year, when we have lofty expectations and lose to Iowa State or Northwestern before you declare yourself wrong about Kurt. Please.

1. Great article Jon and congratulations

2. Who in God's green Earth is Kurt?
Is this Kirks evil twin that coached us last year?

Was Kirk abducted so he could see the errors of his coaching ways?? Either way, good article and good to see KIRK mixing things up this year! GO HAWKS

Actually you have that backwards. The higher scholarship number was widely thought to give the "big" programs an advantage as they could stock up. The 85 limit introduced more parity as some of those players that a Michigan or Penn St would have signed in the past with the additional scholarships were now available for a team like IOWA. The big guys were less able to hoard all the talent.

You are partially correct. Prior to the lowering of scholarships for everyone teams were permitted 45/year, the Big Ten max was 30. Then everyone was reduced to 120 total. Then a number around 100 and now 85. Fry never coached with less than 100.

I didn't think he had it in him and I have no problem admitting that. I also agree with an above poster that I'll hold off on bowing down to the man just yet, as I have seen this program go up and down like a yo-yo too many times.
Just be happy with the season we have and withhold any future predictions or judgement. You might be disappointed.

Look, man, I have always said that Iowa football usually isn't as bad as it looks and it usually isn't as good as it looks. We've got a nice ball club, but I honestly don't think we are much better than we were last year, it's just that our opposition has gotten worse and our QB play has gotten better. I want nothing more than Iowa to play 4 more hours of solid football and walk away with the national title, but I don't think we have seen some turning point with Ferentz. Ferentz just has been bailed out by finding a stud QB and he woke up (too late, IMHO) to that fact and has benefited tremendously. Our defense is very suspect and the one game we played against a decent defense, we put up 10 points and only won because they fumbled on the goal line. Northwestern is our lone "quality win" and I guaranteed everyone we would dismantle them, which we did, because they are very soft in the trenches.

I don't mind KF, I agree with his style of slowing the game down because it gives us the best chance to win, it's just that I don't want to see him get another $20 million extension that could irreparably harm the long term viability of the program. These sorts of "KF is awesome" stories are always followed by a huge extension.

This x1000000000

kf hasn't really changed. He's put more effort into coaching which he admitted last January was lacking.

Look at his record with first year starters, other than JC who was garbage, everyone else has taken us to big10 championships (and now game).

There is no new KF, just a recommitted. We have the easiest schedule we've ever had, and have gotten some good bounces.

I hope he rides off into the sunset after this year

This x1000000000

kf hasn't really changed. He's put more effort into coaching which he admitted last January was lacking.

Look at his record with first year starters, other than JC who was garbage, everyone else has taken us to big10 championships (and now game).

There is no new KF, just a recommitted. We have the easiest schedule we've ever had, and have gotten some good bounces.

I hope he rides off into the sunset after this year
That would be quite a big change.

Actually you have that backwards. The higher scholarship number was widely thought to give the "big" programs an advantage as they could stock up. The 85 limit introduced more parity as some of those players that a Michigan or Penn St would have signed in the past vmwith the additional scholarships were now available for a team like IOWA. The big guys were less able to hoard all the talent.

Noone benefited more from the big scholarship limit of the 80's and 90's than Osborne. Their names 90's run doesn't happen if he can't get 120 local kids and take the best. They love to tour how great the "walk on program" and development was, and it was solid... but it was the lack of a Scholls limit that really benefited them.

Actually, Jon, you were right, when you wrote this before the 2013 season:

"I do feel things can get worse for Iowa, where a 4-8 season isn't a rarity. I don't think we'll see that again from a Ferentz-led Iowa team. I think he has one more 'run' in him before he grunts off into that good night".

It just took a couple years.

It's really quite pitiful to see some of these posters not able to give up on their Ferentz hatred. I tried to warn them over the last few years to give it up, but would they listen? No. Now they are having conniptions trying to justify their previous positions, with some still insisting that it is just a fluke of the schedule that has allowed Kirk to coach an undefeated team this year.

Please give it up, dudes.

Noone benefited more from the big scholarship limit of the 80's and 90's than Osborne. Their names 90's run doesn't happen if he can't get 120 local kids and take the best. They love to tour how great the "walk on program" and development was, and it was solid... but it was the lack of a Scholls limit that really benefited them.
Remind me...when were the scholarship limits changed?

And another thing....I've eaten a lot of crow this year and it is pretty dang tasty!

Two things... First, it's amusing watching people say he only made these changes to appease the fan base... could they be more egotistical? It's like they've dismissed the possibility that the guy has a great deal of pride in doing what he believes to be his best and being able to examine his own performance and know when he hasn't done his best... no... if not for the experts on discussion forums he'd never make any changes that would enhance his performance and give the team a better chance to win. YAY US!!!! How utterly absurd.

Second... his name is Kirk. If, after all these years and all he's accomplished personally and professionally, he hasn't earned enough of your respect to forego the silly third grade name thing you really might consider that it's time to stop pretending to be a fan and admit that you're really little more than a critic with an interest.

Some very good points and I certainly will address him as Coach Ferentz...he has earned it regardless of what happens in his remaining contract years. So YES I agree with much of what you say. One small contrarian view, if you don't think the FANS=Booster support then you live a Polyannish life. There is NO doubt that pressure exerted ON Barta exerted on Coach Ferentz didn't have some role in him making the changes he made then you too need to have your head examined. I still think the biggest change that has turned this around is taking Coach OFF the money raising trail. His staff, which has done well this year, sorely needed his oversight because that team last year was embarrassing. That's no slight at the kids but some of the losses just should never have happened.

Look, man, I have always said that Iowa football usually isn't as bad as it looks and it usually isn't as good as it looks. We've got a nice ball club, but I honestly don't think we are much better than we were last year, it's just that our opposition has gotten worse and our QB play has gotten better. I want nothing more than Iowa to play 4 more hours of solid football and walk away with the national title, but I don't think we have seen some turning point with Ferentz. Ferentz just has been bailed out by finding a stud QB and he woke up (too late, IMHO) to that fact and has benefited tremendously. Our defense is very suspect and the one game we played against a decent defense, we put up 10 points and only won because they fumbled on the goal line. Northwestern is our lone "quality win" and I guaranteed everyone we would dismantle them, which we did, because they are very soft in the trenches.

I don't mind KF, I agree with his style of slowing the game down because it gives us the best chance to win, it's just that I don't want to see him get another $20 million extension that could irreparably harm the long term viability of the program. These sorts of "KF is awesome" stories are always followed by a huge extension.

Let us say, for arguments sake, that the rest of the FBS is at an historic low and Iowa happens to be the best team this year. Then, let us say that Iowa goes on to win the NC. How would you feel about Ferentz continuing to be HC? Furthermore, how do you feel about the previous ~5 years.

For me, it is worth it. Just the positives coming from this run are going to put Iowa into a great position talent-wise. That's not even to mention the years that he could have bolted for another job or how the facilities are built upon his success. I could argue that Fry is the best coach that Iowa has ever had, but I don't think it would be too hard to replace Fry with Ferentz.

I know you don't like the guy, but seriously give him some respect. You just sound childish, and unless he is having a terrible year people are less likely to listen to arguments that stand solely on your opinion, be it positive or negative. And when you do have something worth saying many will not listen because of your obvious stance and dislike of Kirk.

what brings this up?
Unless you were born last night, you know that Jon Miller has deep insights into the Hawkeye football program and a penchant for putting his thoughts down on pape ... er, on a computer monitor. He posted a heart-felt change-of-mind confessional here, and I wondered whether he had contributed anything else to the Reggie or to HawkCentral.

Problem?

Latest posts