A Perfect Storm

revkev73

Several posters and many Iowa fans wonder why Iowa keeps doing the same things over and over that don't seem to work, under the leadership of KF and his staff. This dynamic is quite frustrating and is grounded in fact over many, many years. So one might ask why? Is it a perfect storm that doesn't lead to a need for change? Reasons...

Iowa is set in the west of the BigTen conference, a place of mediocrity, other than Wisconsin, who is now what Iowa once was. Even behind Wisconsin, you can still look pretty good in the west at just above average.

Kirk & Son exist and thrive in the world of Iowa culture, where the risk and fear of being 5-7 hold more sway than the change and creativity needed to win titles. Best to keep using the "tried and true" ways of Kirkball. Life is filled with changes, but not so much in the world of keep it safe, do the same things over and over, of Kirkball.

Iowa's AD office exists under the power of Kirk...there is no one Kirk really answers to, evidence being the hiring of his inexperienced son at OC, who, it seems, is Kirk 2.0...perfect in the world of Kirk. The AD office offers no pressure...Kirk exists in the world of Kirk.

Iowa, and many others, also live in the world of being OK, but not great, gets you into a pretty good bowl game, in a warm climate and you can appear to have "another great year" when in reality, you folded against the big teams you played and if you can secure a win in the bowl game...well, another winner! Vacations in a warm place for the staff...and of course, raises and bonuses!

Iowa's game plan of doing the same things over and over that just don't seem to work and are well known by opposing coaches is frustrating and appears puzzling on the surface, but not really. Not many surprises in the world of Kirkball.

right now I am not worried about Iowa's defense as mich got zero points and 190 yards the last 50 minutes of that game

jNW, Wisky, PSu and Minny have strong defenses.

nebby Illinois and purdue maybe dont have strong defenses.

the iowa coaches need to figure out how to score on offense or this season is 7 or 6 wins. get creative, practice high percentage passes for any down, run the ball

get your play makers involved

Oh bullshit.
There are 120 teams out there. We compete with all of them. We compete with OSU, Mich and PSU.
I don't give a crap if you are in Hawaii with no border games. I don't give a crap where you are located or what division of any conference.
Your goal is to be the best you can be. To be the best. To beat everyone who lines up across from you.
I don't care if you are playing checkers with your grandson or Xbox with your little brother. Losing just doesn't work. It doesn't fit into the equation.
Yeah it happens. But that doesn't make it acceptable or any less hated.

I was one of those people that pushed back against that Wisconsin and Iowa couldn’t be really good at the same time. I think it is time for me to accept this is true.

KF is a good football coach, but he is slow to react sometimes . How they deal with blitzes, disguised or not, will more than likely be a point of emphasis this off season. You could argue 3 years to late, better late than never I guess.

Last edited:
KF is a good football coach, but he is slow to react sometimes .

20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-LAYERS-beard-crop.png

I know you just can’t replace 2 1st rounders, but I automatically assume production from the tight end position. It is Iowa football you expect production from that position.....you just do.

People complain that IA does the same thing over and over but yesterday was a completely diff game plan than what IA used to do.

You can argue that BF doesn't adjust well mid game, but to say IA doesn't ever change is 1000 % false.

Oh bullshit.
There are 120 teams out there. We compete with all of them. We compete with OSU, Mich and PSU.
I don't give a crap if you are in Hawaii with no border games. I don't give a crap where you are located or what division of any conference.
Your goal is to be the best you can be. To be the best. To beat everyone who lines up across from you.
I don't care if you are playing checkers with your grandson or Xbox with your little brother. Losing just doesn't work. It doesn't fit into the equation.
Yeah it happens. But that doesn't make it acceptable or any less hated.

But Brian Ferentz is a TE coach guru!