Moving forward

You realize that Michigan is 13th in the conference in run defense? Their pass defense is good, but even Middle Tennessee St put up 21 points against them. We have played nobody except for today, and that wasn't even a good Michigan team by their standards. We are in for more rough sledding in the conference, especially on offense.
13th is pretty meaningless. Especially when you admit their pass defense is good. And Jonathan Taylor.

To blitz, you need DBs capable of man. Michigan And ISU have that. I don’t know about 2 of those. NW is meh.

Of course, you also need an OL, TE, and RB capable of picking up blitzes. or a QB that can audible against the blitz or that the OC allows the QB to audible. Those are the question marks

Iowa had no clue where the Michigan blitzes were coming from. Confuse Iowa up front and you really don’t need great corners.

i doubt they are better. If they are, a couple of shades of gray

Ok, let's say they dont have much better defense than the 13 ranked run def in the B1G(well, before today). WISC and PSU have light years better offenses than either.

Look, I'm usually not a downer, but I saw things to be very concerned about today. They will have to show me otherwise before I'm gonna be optimistic about anything better than 8-4 or 7-5.

3 points, -1 yards rushing. 4 turnovers, and 7 sacks....with no visible adjustments made throughout. I'm concerned.

Ok, let's say they dont have much better defense than the 13 ranked run def in the B1G(well, before today). WISC and PSU have light years better offenses than either.

Look, I'm usually not a downer, but I saw things to be very concerned about today. They will have to show me otherwise before I'm gonna be optimistic about anything better than 8-4 or 7-5.

3 points, -1 yards rushing. 4 turnovers, and 7 sacks....with no visible adjustments made throughout. I'm concerned.
I don’t see how Iowa can beat Penn State. They are a way better version of Michigan with a better QB.

Wisconsin will be a low scoring dog fight but Wisconsin is just a better team I’m afraid.

Iowa had no clue where the Michigan blitzes were coming from. Confuse Iowa up front and you really don’t need great corners.
I don’t know how you can’t see 2 blitzes lined up on the outside shoulder of the OT but it happened. Repeatedly. It was like they didn’t expect Michigan to blitz

13th ranked run defense is meaningless when there’s been no common opponents.

4 turnovers and 7 sacks are outliers even in bad offensive years. The lack of game adjustments is not new.

I had them losing to PSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin preseason (maybe getting one) and losing a game they shouldn’t.

So 8-4. Nothing has changed. Maybe 9-3 and west division winners.

They weren’t going 12-0 or 11-1.

Ok, let's say they dont have much better defense than the 13 ranked run def in the B1G(well, before today). WISC and PSU have light years better offenses than either.spot on.....except all the penalties too

I had Iowa at 3-2 after five so on the season I’m not disappointed.

This was an absolutely awful offensive game and it pisses me off that a senior QB can’t audible out of blitzes, first round OT can’t maintain blocks, and BF can’t find a good game plan consistently.
I noticed throughout the game that Iowa was breaking the huddle with only around 15 seconds left on the play clock. There was no time to audible. They came close several times to delay of game calls.

1. PSU and Wisky are the only really good teams upcoming.
2. Big game for redemption this next saturday and if the hawks can win they are about where we thought they would be.
3. I havent seen anything great from jNW, Purdue, Nebby, Minny and of course Illini.

The hawk defense is playing great and maybe doing it with some smoke and mirrors because I really havent seen a shutdown Def LIne yet. Need to stuff more runs for less yardage to get teams in long yardage, and need better pass rush including blitzing. If you are assigned to blitz then dont hold up as I saw a few players do today. PSU has some speed on offense so need to not give up big plays. I hope and think Kinnick will be very loud. Do it again defense.

It seemed like #64 Schott was bulldozing people in earlier games but I didnt see him play. Hurt or not playing?

The offense or more specifically BFerentz needs to find and identity. Try to be a running team first after all the holding penalties and sacks????? Goodson get even more touches. Toren Young at least had a pulse with 5 yards per carry maybe Young getting more chances to get tough yards. Need to find ways to practice getting the TEnds to go 5 yards downfield, turn around and catch a needed 5-6 yard pass on any down.

After this performance the hawks are above avg but not yet considered really good and they certainly are not an overall powerful team.

What would do with this offense??? I might like Young and Goodson/Sargent a lot more as split backs in at the same time.
Then you havent been watching Minny lately, they are playing way better than the Hawks right now. I glad the game is at Kinnick but if Iowa doesn't get its head out of its ass on offense this might be a loss.

I noticed throughout the game that Iowa was breaking the huddle with only around 15 seconds left on the play clock. There was no time to audible. They came close several times to delay of game calls.
Good point. Need to be set by that time. I remember BF making that point when he took over.

Win the home games, get your coaching bonus. That’s all that matters to them.

We’ve scored one TD on the road in big games, and that was ISU this year

1. PSU and Wisky are the only really good teams upcoming.
2. Big game for redemption this next saturday and if the hawks can win they are about where we thought they would be.
3. I havent seen anything great from jNW, Purdue, Nebby, Minny and of course Illini.

The hawk defense is playing great and maybe doing it with some smoke and mirrors because I really havent seen a shutdown Def LIne yet. Need to stuff more runs for less yardage to get teams in long yardage, and need better pass rush including blitzing. If you are assigned to blitz then dont hold up as I saw a few players do today. PSU has some speed on offense so need to not give up big plays. I hope and think Kinnick will be very loud. Do it again defense.

It seemed like #64 Schott was bulldozing people in earlier games but I didnt see him play. Hurt or not playing?

The offense or more specifically BFerentz needs to find and identity. Try to be a running team first after all the holding penalties and sacks????? Goodson get even more touches. Toren Young at least had a pulse with 5 yards per carry maybe Young getting more chances to get tough yards. Need to find ways to practice getting the TEnds to go 5 yards downfield, turn around and catch a needed 5-6 yard pass on any down.

After this performance the hawks are above avg but not yet considered really good and they certainly are not an overall powerful team.

What would do with this offense??? I might like Young and Goodson/Sargent a lot more as split backs in at the same time.

So...in short... How good will our bowl game be? Closer to 7-5 or 10-2... that's the question. (my money is on 8-4. We'll lose to PSU, Wisconsin and somebody we should beat...likely Minnesota or Nebraska)

When I read the title of this thread, I expected the first sentence in the post to be, "And two steps back for the offense".

When I read the title of this thread, I expected the first sentence in the post to be, "And two steps back for the offense".

well your point is well taken but iowa had multiple drives and could move the ball. but get creative and get rid of sacks and holding penalties by running more.

heck if on 3 other drives to about the Mich 30 yard line they gain 7 more yards then that could be 3 40 yard field goals to win the game

Moving forward Stanley has to throw the ball away when he's getting blitzed and no one is open. Defenders have no fear of missing a sack on him because he can't juke them and run. If I'm a Penn St. defender and I'm sent on a blitz I'm not worried one bit about over running the play.

Latest posts