Moving forward

uihawk82

1. PSU and Wisky are the only really good teams upcoming.
2. Big game for redemption this next saturday and if the hawks can win they are about where we thought they would be.
3. I havent seen anything great from jNW, Purdue, Nebby, Minny and of course Illini.

The hawk defense is playing great and maybe doing it with some smoke and mirrors because I really havent seen a shutdown Def LIne yet. Need to stuff more runs for less yardage to get teams in long yardage, and need better pass rush including blitzing. If you are assigned to blitz then dont hold up as I saw a few players do today. PSU has some speed on offense so need to not give up big plays. I hope and think Kinnick will be very loud. Do it again defense.

It seemed like #64 Schott was bulldozing people in earlier games but I didnt see him play. Hurt or not playing?

The offense or more specifically BFerentz needs to find and identity. Try to be a running team first after all the holding penalties and sacks????? Goodson get even more touches. Toren Young at least had a pulse with 5 yards per carry maybe Young getting more chances to get tough yards. Need to find ways to practice getting the TEnds to go 5 yards downfield, turn around and catch a needed 5-6 yard pass on any down.

After this performance the hawks are above avg but not yet considered really good and they certainly are not an overall powerful team.

What would do with this offense??? I might like Young and Goodson/Sargent a lot more as split backs in at the same time.

I had Iowa at 3-2 after five so on the season I’m not disappointed.

This was an absolutely awful offensive game and it pisses me off that a senior QB can’t audible out of blitzes, first round OT can’t maintain blocks, and BF can’t find a good game plan consistently.

This was an absolutely awful offensive game and it pisses me off that a senior QB can’t audible out of blitzes, first round OT can’t maintain blocks, and BF can’t find a good game plan consistently.

Iowa's only played 2 legitimate Power 5 defenses so far. They've put up a total of 21 points. This does not bode well for the remainder of the season.

All a team needs to do is blitz Iowa often. Iowa State and Michigan have shown the remaining teams how to stop the Hawks offense..

Last edited:
Iowa's only played 2 legitimate Power 5 defenses so far. They've put up a total of 21 points. This does not bode well for the remainder of the season.
No. it doesn’t. But

How many of those teams have defenses like ISU and Michigan?

All a team needs to do is blitz Iowa often. Iowa State and Michigan have shown the remaining teams Iowa plays what to do to stop the Hawks offense..
How many of those teams are going to have DBs like ISU and Michigan?

Well probably beat PSU 6-3, and most of the fan base will anoint KF as king again

Then we lose to NW, PU, and WI crushes us and there’s nothing to play for. But hey our fan base will get us a warm bowl game !!

No. it doesn’t. But

How many of those teams have defenses like ISU and Michigan?
PSU has a better defense than Michigan, Northwestern has a very good defense, Wisconsin has a very good defense. Our offense is not good, and will struggle even against not so good defenses. ISU defense was not that good, and Michigan hasn't been able to stop anyone from running the football except for us.

At the very least, Penn State, Wisconsin and NW based on what I've seen. Again, blitz Iowa and your chances of winning are increased in a big way.
To blitz, you need DBs capable of man. Michigan And ISU have that. I don’t know about 2 of those. NW is meh.

Of course, you also need an OL, TE, and RB capable of picking up blitzes. or a QB that can audible against the blitz or that the OC allows the QB to audible. Those are the question marks

True that DD!

i doubt they are better. If they are, a couple of shades of gray
You realize that Michigan is 13th in the conference in run defense? Their pass defense is good, but even Middle Tennessee St put up 21 points against them. We have played nobody except for today, and that wasn't even a good Michigan team by their standards. We are in for more rough sledding in the conference, especially on offense.

Latest posts