Pizza Jointz

Burlington Iowa- Napoli's downtown on 3rd Street. hardly ever get back in that area, but when I do, it is a must visit. The place is a bit dated and customer service can be interesting, but it has been consistently good for a very long time.

Madison WI- try Roman Candle on Williamson Street, though they have a few other locations as well. May take some of the pain out of the trip to see the game in November.

I gotta admit its been awhile since I have had a Wig & Pen, but I sure remember that pizza fondly..........

I didn't go back and read the entire thread, but does anybody remember "Eddies Famous Pizza" in CR on 1st avenue? It was part of the "Sip and Stir" lounge. I don't know if either is still around, but that was great pizza.

During the '85 Iowa-Michigan game, Brent Musburger announced that is was their choice for the best pizza in the area.

Wig & Pen Pizza located on the Coralville Strip

o.jpg
wig-and-pen-coralville.jpg

I didn't go back and read the entire thread, but does anybody remember "Eddies Famous Pizza" in CR on 1st avenue? It was part of the "Sip and Stir" lounge. I don't know if either is still around, but that was great pizza.

During the '85 Iowa-Michigan game, Brent Musburger announced that is was their choice for the best pizza in the area.

Leonardo's Pizza in Cedar Rapids is very good. The decor inside has a serious 60's vibe.

photo5jpg.jpg
leonardo-s-pizza.jpg

Guys I'm trying to do keto. At least if we were talking burgers or steaks I could survive looking through post.

Since my last post in this thread, I have experienced a pizza which took over my "top spot" for pizza in Chicago. And have found out it is a favorite of many Chicago locals as well.

Used to be Gino's East, no one could touch it.

Now, it's Pequod's in Lincoln Park area. Seriously, while in Chicago give it a try! First thing they do is layer slices of cheese along the edge of the pan, so when it cooks you get that caramelized crispy almost burnt edge. Unreal! There will be a wait, but it is completely worth it! There's a bar next door which is a little less crowded to wait it out.
pequods-pizza-chicago.jpg

pequod-delicate-cheese-procedure-01-P1010286.jpg

That looks phenomenal

Leonardo's Pizza in Cedar Rapids is very good. The decor inside has a serious 60's vibe.

photo5jpg.jpg
leonardo-s-pizza.jpg

Holy cow! Still around.

My parents would meet up with a few other couples on random Saturdays.

I was at home with sisters eating pizza from Shakeys or Mr. Bills...which was very close to the adult theater in the seedy underbelly of Marion IA.

Since my last post in this thread, I have experienced a pizza which took over my "top spot" for pizza in Chicago. And have found out it is a favorite of many Chicago locals as well.

Used to be Gino's East, no one could touch it.

Now, it's Pequod's in Lincoln Park area. Seriously, while in Chicago give it a try! First thing they do is layer slices of cheese along the edge of the pan, so when it cooks you get that caramelized crispy almost burnt edge. Unreal! There will be a wait, but it is completely worth it! There's a bar next door which is a little less crowded to wait it out.
pequods-pizza-chicago.jpg

pequod-delicate-cheese-procedure-01-P1010286.jpg

So there is no bread crust? It's all cheese?

Normally I hate reviving old threads but this one is a classic.

I'll offer up my local bar/grill. Costas in Fairbank makes one heck of a pizza for a small town. They load their pizza's down with toppings. Good wings too!

Have always been and will always be a die hard Happy Joes devotee. Only 2 left in Wisconsin now that the Medford branch, which was only about a 45 minute drive for me, has closed down. Now it's a 3 hour drive to the one closest to me. I always make it a point to stop at one any time I happen to be driving by one.

lpv.jpg La Pizza Via in Fox River Grove, IL. Many style options (deep dish, Detroit, New York, etc.), house made toppings. Just awesome. This is the New York Italian Pork and it is amazing.

Guys I'm trying to do keto. At least if we were talking burgers or steaks I could survive looking through post.

So am I, and we went to Lou Malnati's last time we were in Chicago, and they do a crustless pizza where they do a deep dish pizza, but the "crust" is their italian sausage. It's amazing. The wife and I have made it 3-4 times here in our cast iron skillet. It's just as good as I remember.

https://www.loumalnatis.com/blog/2010/08/crustless-not-your-average-deep-dish/

This is pretty close to how we made it. The only difference is don't buy sausages and cut them open. Just buy ground italian sausage. Way easier to work with. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/c...usage-crusted-pizza-ode-to-lou-malnatis/45440

Hy-Vee sells raw italian sausage at the meat counter that works really well for this. Just make sure you get REAL cheese and not that partial-skim crap that doesn't melt properly. :)

So am I, and we went to Lou Malnati's last time we were in Chicago, and they do a crustless pizza where they do a deep dish pizza, but the "crust" is their italian sausage. It's amazing. The wife and I have made it 3-4 times here in our cast iron skillet. It's just as good as I remember.

https://www.loumalnatis.com/blog/2010/08/crustless-not-your-average-deep-dish/

This is pretty close to how we made it. The only difference is don't buy sausages and cut them open. Just buy ground italian sausage. Way easier to work with. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/c...usage-crusted-pizza-ode-to-lou-malnatis/45440

Hy-Vee sells raw italian sausage at the meat counter that works really well for this. Just make sure you get REAL cheese and not that partial-skim crap that doesn't melt properly. :)

Any special baking instructions? I would think you would need to bake it longer at a lower temperature to ensure the sausage crust cooks all the way through.

This sounds good even without doing the Keto diet.

Latest posts