Time for a New Arena?

I agree in a sense (newer, better arenas in the Big 10 make Carver look snoozy). But, the women's tournament proved that if the fans care enough, they will come, even with the lack of stuff like as you and InGoodCo mentioned (concessions, bathrooms, etc.). The same fan base is excited and supporting the women with much more enthusiasm than the men in the same arena. Interesting ...

1 game was for a Sweet 16 appearance, compared to the men who play just regular season games there- Iowa men don't get to play their post season games in Carver - when they DO play in the NIT, they sell it out. It's not all just the men's program. They just spent 3/4 of the season in the top 25 - and shit was pretty much the same as it ever was. Not really looking at it objectively

So, Iowa basketball just needs to be in the top 10 every season, play every game against a name and have a transcending all time program changing player on it, oh and then host their post season games there and THEN the arena will just work itself out.

giphy.gif

Move the Hope Lodge and Ronald McDonald House, clear out the area between Hawkins and CHA, and, viola.

More than enough room for the arena and tons of parking.

Speaking from experience the RM House shouldnt be further out. Parents need a place with wasy access to get away for short times. The parking for rmh is terrible. Parking tickets for stressed out dazed parents parking in the wrong place or not moving in time is common though. The place needs redone and added parking.

That said why does an arena have to be on campus? The hospital growth will continue.

Speaking from experience the RM House shouldnt be further out. Parents need a place with wasy access to get away for short times. The parking for rmh is terrible. Parking tickets for stressed out dazed parents parking in the wrong place or not moving in time is common though. The place needs redone and added parking.

That said why does an arena have to be on campus? The hospital growth will continue.
RMH could be moved 400' WSW to that wooded area due south of CHA. Plenty of room and parking. Intersection of Elliot and Hawkins.

Carver is just fine the sad reality is that we need consistent quality product that can show up and wants to play. Aside from the Michigan game the Iowa men struggle to do that.
The "atmosphere" could be improved dramatically if Big Dollar Gary would change the seating to put students and loud fans closer to the floor and move the blue hairs closer to the bathroom level.

The "atmosphere" could be improved dramatically if Big Dollar Gary would change the seating to put students and loud fans closer to the floor and move the blue hairs closer to the bathroom level.
You're not wrong, but unfortunately, those are the fans that PAY and show up EVERY game. Should they be punished and moved to a shitty seat so we can reward the students who don't show up to begin with? That's a tough call and one thing I'd side with Gary on

Last edited:
If we flip the coin, imagine how insane the women's games would have been with a modern arena?

Two decks, with steeper seating would do a few things.

Fans would have a better view, they'd be closer to the game, and it'd be much, much louder.

You'd have easier access to bathrooms and concessions.

A modern layout like that would also discourage the blue haired, "SIT DOWN IN FRONT!!" folks like @HuckFinn and @ClintonIAfan from attending. I don't care if you're a 50 year season ticket holder who graduated from the U in 1959 or not, If I want to stand up and yell, I'm gonna stand up and yell. Stay home and watch it in your MediEquip chair. Right now, we have to rely on attrition to shrink that demograhic.
Everybody stands for the women's games. Nobody tells you to sit down.

Please tell me how you know who's going to stand up and cheer and who isn't.

Please tell me how you know who's going to stand up and cheer and who isn't.

We could monitor their seats and if they sit for more than 25% of the game then they no longer get free concessions. We all know what college kids would do for free food. It would also mean job security for the post game sanitation staff. :p:p:p (entire comment sarcasm)

That's because it's so hard for the WBB crowd to get back up if they do.

53467082-exhausted-old-man-walking-with-a-cane-isolated-on-white-background.jpg
In all seriousness I've been to both men's and women's games. The men's crowd puts on an air of stuffiness and snobby. That's not the case at the women's games. I don't know what the answer is but a new arena won't solve that. Let's just say what if Duke had a record like the Hawks would they still be so hyped? Not trying to be a smart ass just curious on peoples views.

I have to agree with @InGoodCo on this one. If you’ve been to other venues in the Big Ten, CHA is a snooze fest. On top of that, the single bowl, top to bottom, radial aisle layout is the worst possible format for a sports stadium. In row 8 and gotta take a leak? Start hikin’.

Hawkeyes need a smaller venue with closer, steeper seating and (at least) 2 decks. The rest is details.

@hawkdrummer1 , did you ever find those old architectural drawings from when CHA was still being planned?

Thanks for the tickler Fry...I'll see if I can dig em up. Related question: How does one post photos here? Doesn't it require a web link?

1 game was for a Sweet 16 appearance, compared to the men who play just regular season games there- Iowa men don't get to play their post season games in Carver - when they DO play in the NIT, they sell it out. It's not all just the men's program. They just spent 3/4 of the season in the top 25 - and shit was pretty much the same as it ever was. Not really looking at it objectively

But that's the point. Fans show up when they have something to be excited about (Women's game in NCAA Tourney, Men's Friday night games vs Michigan, MSU). They don't care about the concessions, hikes to the bathrooms, etc if they want to be there cheering for their team. Do the Nebraska/Creighton fans just show up for the arena (since the product is not as good as a program like Iowa)? How long do you think that lasts? I am curious with your experience there.

I am not sure what makes the fans less than enthusiastic about a men's program that had a good year this year, but it is what it is. I have a feeling the other factors like 8:00 PM starting times during the week affect folks as much as a long hike to the bathroom. If the crowds seemed more enthusiastic during the Tom Davis years (which were mostly similar to this year's Iowa team), then what do you think the difference is now?

Just tear out the seating bowl inside the arena and replace it with one that is more square to the floor therefore closer. Make capacity around 13,000. Student section courtside on the side of the floor opposite the TV cameras. Blue hair seating on the other side. Concourse would be wider in this configuration and therefore would be able to accommodate more restrooms and concession stands. CHA won't be torn down any time soon since they just finished the connected practice facility and office structure a few years ago. And no project will be done within the next couple of years at least because of the project being finished at Kinnick, perhaps longer.

But that's the point. Fans show up when they have something to be excited about (Women's game in NCAA Tourney, Men's Friday night games vs Michigan, MSU). They don't care about the concessions, hikes to the bathrooms, etc if they want to be there cheering for their team. Do the Nebraska/Creighton fans just show up for the arena (since the product is not as good as a program like Iowa)? How long do you think that lasts? I am curious with your experience there.

I am not sure what makes the fans less than enthusiastic about a men's program that had a good year this year, but it is what it is. I have a feeling the other factors like 8:00 PM starting times during the week affect folks as much as a long hike to the bathroom. If the crowds seemed more enthusiastic during the Tom Davis years (which were mostly similar to this year's Iowa team), then what do you think the difference is now?

Nebraska is top 10 in attendance every year since moving to PBA and the product is no better than at the Devaney Center. Me thinks fans just wanted some suds to help them deal with the bad basketball. Creighton doesn't need to sell beer to get fans to their games. They have had a good product for a while now.

For about the 100th time, there is no specific area where your “blue hairs” sit. In fact, much of the premium seating is occupied by the 30 to 45 crowd. They are actually the ones who move to the concourse toward the end of the game. And some head for home early to travel back to Des Moines, Quad Cities, especially on week night games. I have been sitting mid court 25 rows up for 15 years, so I get to see what I have described continually.

Nebraska is top 10 in attendance every year since moving to PBA and the product is no better than at the Devaney Center. Me thinks fans just wanted some suds to help them deal with the bad basketball. Creighton doesn't need to sell beer to get fans to their games. They have had a good product for a while now.

Would you trade Creighton's last 9 years for Iowa's last 9 years? :)

Thanks for the tickler Fry...I'll see if I can dig em up. Related question: How does one post photos here? Doesn't it require a web link?
I use imgbb.com

No account or registration needed. You can upload from a computer or phone, then I just right click on the pic once it's uploaded and click "Copy Image Address" (from Chrome).

You can also click "Upload a File" below the text field when you post. That basically attaches the pic as a file vs. embedding it in your post.

Latest posts