Time for a New Arena?

ModebaSan

Isn’t it about time we start thinking about building a new basketball arena? Carver-Hawkeye was a nice arena for it’s time, but it’s starting to get outdated. It can still have it’s uses, but with all the B1G network money coming in, don’t you think it’s time to build a state of the art facility that can improve the fan experience and recruiting. There would also be the ability to host NCAA and NIT games. Not to mention wrestling venues. I am interested what everyone’s views are on this subject.

That would be great. Whoever designed CHA did NOT do so with the thought of how to give the home team much home court “advantage”, in reagards to noise and fans close to the court. The Fieldhouse was much better in that regard.

Isn’t it about time we start thinking about building a new basketball arena? Carver-Hawkeye was a nice arena for it’s time, but it’s starting to get outdated. It can still have it’s uses, but with all the B1G network money coming in, don’t you think it’s time to build a state of the art facility that can improve the fan experience and recruiting. There would also be the ability to host NCAA and NIT games. Not to mention wrestling venues. I am interested what everyone’s views are on this subject.

it's beyond time - just don't know where they would put it? Need to make it smaller which would mean it wouldn't be likely an option for NCAA men's games not to mention IC probably wouldn't be able to handle that hotel wise either depending on location. Iowa *needs* a new barn, but I don't see it happening soon as they keep dumping money into Carver and the only thing is going to make that better is infrastructure in several areas (the building not only sucks with the steps and layout but the parking and roads to a from Carver are also horribly set up). Terrible concessions to go along with NO vendors that are mobile (IE, no one walking around with concessions) - a horrible atmosphere with no crowd participation, no booze - steps from hell to get a hot dog, steps from hell to take a pee. Yeah, who wouldn't rather watch from home?

Winning doesn't cure all either, Iowa spent most of the year in the top 25 and only had a handful of sell outs, which had to be perfect time on a weekend when the weather was just right. Carver is a giant problem for the U of I.

Yeah Iowa City and Coralville are building/have built a shit ton of hotels and I wonder how they can keep the doors open. 7 home football games a year doesn't seem to cut it for me

Why can’t they build a combo football and basketball venue. Give it good acoustics for concerts also. They could have motorized seats and flooring to convert easily. Could be used year long.

There are dozens of excellent and very successful examples of what type of arena Iowa could and should build to better support our basketball and wrestling programs, help attract recruits with primo facilities, etc.
With G. Barta as our IAD (incompetent athletic director) don't hold your breath.
And it's a damn shame.

Iowa really has made some mistakes the last 15 years or so with Kinnick and Carver.

Both should have been replaced but Kinnick has had two separate 90 million dollar renovations when they could have built a new stadium instead. The Gophers did TCF for less than 300 million. They should have at the least put in premium seating. I love the place, some of my best childhood memories are there but as an adult its a very uncomfortable place to get around in and watch a game.

Carver is just a weird all around structure. One of those relics from the 1980s that should just go away. Another poster mentioned the steps. My biggest problem with the place was the air was always stale. I haven't been there in a few years but I hope they've improved the ventilation system. Being there, even when the place was empty, reminds me of when I was a kid going to people's houses who didn't have central air.

it's beyond time - just don't know where they would put it? Need to make it smaller which would mean it wouldn't be likely an option for NCAA men's games not to mention IC probably wouldn't be able to handle that hotel wise either depending on location. Iowa *needs* a new barn, but I don't see it happening soon as they keep dumping money into Carver and the only thing is going to make that better is infrastructure in several areas (the building not only sucks with the steps and layout but the parking and roads to a from Carver are also horribly set up). Terrible concessions to go along with NO vendors that are mobile (IE, no one walking around with concessions) - a horrible atmosphere with no crowd participation, no booze - steps from hell to get a hot dog, steps from hell to take a pee. Yeah, who wouldn't rather watch from home?

Winning doesn't cure all either, Iowa spent most of the year in the top 25 and only had a handful of sell outs, which had to be perfect time on a weekend when the weather was just right. Carver is a giant problem for the U of I.

Very strange ... the women just held two rounds of the NCAA Tournament and everyone is raving about the atmosphere (even on TV) and there were records set for attendance. Yet, the same facility is stale for men's games (including on TV). How is that possible? :)

Only if you donate the $190 million it will take
If funding was such an insurmountable brick wall, no colleges would ever build new venues.

I get your point that it's expensive, but do you plan on CHA lasting another 50-75 years?

Very strange ... the women just held two rounds of the NCAA Tournament and everyone is raving about the atmosphere (even on TV) and there were records set for attendance. Yet, the same facility is stale for men's games (including on TV). How is that possible? :)

I have to agree with @InGoodCo on this one. If you’ve been to other venues in the Big Ten, CHA is a snooze fest. On top of that, the single bowl, top to bottom, radial aisle layout is the worst possible format for a sports stadium. In row 8 and gotta take a leak? Start hikin’.

Hawkeyes need a smaller venue with closer, steeper seating and (at least) 2 decks. The rest is details.

@hawkdrummer1 , did you ever find those old architectural drawings from when CHA was still being planned?

Carver is just fine the sad reality is that we need consistent quality product that can show up and wants to play. Aside from the Michigan game the Iowa men struggle to do that.

I have to agree with @InGoodCo on this one. If you’ve been to other venues in the Big Ten, CHA is a snooze fest. On top of that, the single bowl, top to bottom, radial aisle layout is the worst possible format for a sports stadium. In row 8 and gotta take a leak? Start hikin’.

Hawkeyes need a smaller venue with closer, steeper seating and (at least) 2 decks. The rest is details.

@hawkdrummer1 , did you ever find those old architectural drawings from when CHA was still being planned?

I agree in a sense (newer, better arenas in the Big 10 make Carver look snoozy). But, the women's tournament proved that if the fans care enough, they will come, even with the lack of stuff like as you and InGoodCo mentioned (concessions, bathrooms, etc.). The same fan base is excited and supporting the women with much more enthusiasm than the men in the same arena. Interesting ...

yeah, and people said the same thing about when the men played Michigan, what's your point? That game your referencing was an NCAA game with a sweet 16 birth on the line for the ladies. So do all the games need that at stake to get a crowd? When Iowa hosts NIT games the atmosphere is electric. But it takes something exceptional or when all the ingredients come together and form a perfect storm or the opponent and situation is just too big of a draw that people want to see it live. The problem is that's not the norm. ISU is like that every game. Creighton is like that every game. Nebraska is like that every game. Despite record. I am positive guy in regards to Iowa hoops, but it's ok to look inward sometimes and the U of I HAS to know that Carver is a huge problem and they are missing out on millions in revenue that a new facility would provide.

I agree in a sense (newer, better arenas in the Big 10 make Carver look snoozy). But, the women's tournament proved that if the fans care enough, they will come, even with the lack of stuff like as you and InGoodCo mentioned (concessions, bathrooms, etc.). The same fan base is excited and supporting the women with much more enthusiasm than the men in the same arena. Interesting ...
If we flip the coin, imagine how insane the women's games would have been with a modern arena?

Two decks, with steeper seating would do a few things.

Fans would have a better view, they'd be closer to the game, and it'd be much, much louder.

You'd have easier access to bathrooms and concessions.

A modern layout like that would also discourage the blue haired, "SIT DOWN IN FRONT!!" folks like @HuckFinn and @ClintonIAfan from attending. I don't care if you're a 50 year season ticket holder who graduated from the U in 1959 or not, If I want to stand up and yell, I'm gonna stand up and yell. Stay home and watch it in your MediEquip chair. Right now, we have to rely on attrition to shrink that demograhic.

Carver is just fine the sad reality is that we need consistent quality product that can show up and wants to play. Aside from the Michigan game the Iowa men struggle to do that.

They spent 3/4th of the season ranked in the top 25 and people still didn't give a shit. The product on the floor this season was fine, above average and it still didn't matter.

They just recently spent $$$$$$$ updating CHA. That place isn't going anyplace anytime soon.

Latest posts